Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE
Quote | Reply
Geez, can a jewish guy get a break? The pool was closed, along with my gym, the indoor track on campus, and the city even locked the gates to the local park/bike trail!
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [astrotri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

any jewish gyms?
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [jern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently St James Health and Wellness center is Jewish-open today 7-3, though closed tomorrow

P
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uhhhmmm dude?

Isn't TODAY the Sabbath?

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Place I used to belong to in suburban Cleveland opens at 3 AM every day. Open till noon on holidays. Guy who runs it used to be a fanatic triathlete till his knees gave out. Caters to the hard core.

Omni fitness in Middleburg Hts.

"It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Jewish Brotha!!!

As per Adam Sandler:

"Put on your Yammukah, it's time for Chanukah..........So drink your gin & tonic-ah, smoke your marajuanicah, don't forget a harmonica, have a Happy, Happy, Happy, Happy, Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaanukaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah"

Okay, I forgot the words.

As a fellow member of the ST Jew Crew - I was grateful for 40 degress today, did a Long Run.

And now I've completely obliterated that effort with 2 (3?) glasses of Cab.

Happy Chanukah (almost)!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yea, ST Jew here too. JCC is open, so I had some luck; I am looking forward to my run tomorrow morn when NOONE will be outside =)
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [IronDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I too am of the faith. But I saw at my local club that they will be closed on Dec. 25 and Jan. 1. Since that is the first and last day of Hannukah, I assume they are doing it out of respect for us.

Gotta Love Sandler's tune - here are the full lyrics:

Put on your yamukah
Here comes Hannukah
So much funnukah
To celebrate Hannukah

Hannukah is: the festival of lights
Instead of one day of presents
We have eight crazy nights

When you feel like/the only kid in town
Without a Christmas tree
Here's a list of people that are
Jewish like you and me:

David Lee Roth
lights the menorah
So do Kirk Douglas, James Caan
and the late Dinah Shorah

Guess who eats together at
the Carnegie Deli?
Bowser from Sha-Na-Na
And Arthur Fonzarelli!

Paul Newman's half Jewish
and Goldie Hawn's half, too
Put them together,
What a fine looking Jew!

You don't need to Deck the Halls
Or Jingle Bell Rock,
'Cause you can spin the dreidel
With Captain Kirk and Mr. Spock!

[Chorus]

O.J. Simpson [not a Jew]
But guess who is? Hall of Famer Rod Carew [He converted]
We got Ann Landers and her
sister Dear Abby,

Harrison Ford's a quarter Jewish
Not too shabby
Some people think Ebenezer Scrooge is
Well, he's not, but guess who is --
All three Stooges!

[Chorus]

So many Jews are in Show Biz
Tom Cruise isn't but I think his agent is

Tell your friend Veronica
It's time to celebrate Hanukkah
I hope I get a harmonica
On this lovely lovely Hanukkah
So drink your gin and tonica
But don't smoke marijuanica
If you really really wannika
Have a Happy Happy Happy Happy Hanukkah

Happy Hannukah Everybody!

Merry Christmas and Happy Hannukah!
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [Trillini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apparently St James Health and Wellness center is Jewish-open today 7-3, though closed tomorrow

I had no idea that there was a Jewish Saint James! See? When you get down to it, the similarities among the world's three great religions are far greater than are their differences :-))

In a similar vein, though.....I and some of my fellow military types were coming out of a theater in Haifa on a Friday night (we were there helping to train some IDF special ops types) some years back, and got rocks thrown at us by some ultra-Orthodox fellows. What I still can't figure out is why they themselves were even out, and engaging in physical labor by heaving rocks at us! (hee-hee)

T.
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [skid777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully you reside somewhere where it'll be warm enuf to run tomorrow. They're forecasting rain here - so it mite be a Long Spin for me...

I LOVE the original Chanukah Song!!! Isn't there like, 5 more renditions since the 1st?

"Boruch atah addonoy eluhaynu, melech oholoom, asheer kidishanu, bahmitzov-sov, vitsivonu, lahadlic ner, shell Chanukah"

Is that right?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Think the gym being closed is rough, try getting a babysitter so you can ride or this year run long on XMAS morning!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reminds me of many years ago when I was a student and lived in the Bathurst area of Toronto. Mostly orthodox Jewish ethnic in the immediate area. Guys with "skull caps" and "Mennonite looking" beards and clothing. Everything was closed on Saturday and Jewish holidays. In fact, my apartment was four doors away from a synagogue. Things were open on Christian holidays. Didn't realize it when first moving there since I was secular ex Catholic and small townish in my thinking. Met a lot of very interesting people and saw things from a different perspective. Great experience and a eye opener for me living in an area like that.

But I understand where you're coming from. The local gym was closed on Chanukkah.
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [IronDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Long bike ride for me in the morning. Ahh 65 degrees and some of the biggest churches aren't even open.

and yes Iron Deb that is the correct prayer.
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [Pam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a nicd ride!

Rabbi Whatever-stein would be proud! Especially considering that I was a Hebrew School Dropout!

Shalom
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see there are several Jewish people here on Slowtwitch -and here I thought I was one of a handful of Jewish triathletes. I've never been bothered that my gym/pool etc. is closed on Christmas Day. One year my gym was opened and I felt smug and worked out. But while I was there I felt really badly for the people who had to work when they should have been with their families or friends. I've made a pact with myself to keep away on Christmas day and let those who celebrate enjoy. It's not so hard for me to reschedule my training to include a run on Christmas or even.... no... don't panic... but.... a day of rest. Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah, and all the best to each and everyone. 2006 is going to be an amazing year.

---------------------------------------------------------------

"There's good all around you, you just have to be able to see it".
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [YVR K] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loving the Jewish thread. As a previous member of the Montreal YMHA our gym was closed half of September and October. It sucked. Any of you live in the SouthWest? Anyone do the Maccabia games? I invited Monica Kaplan to Rosh Hashana services this year but she had to leave Tucson. I noticed though that both her and Joanna Z (both MOTs, not MOTPs) raced Kona a few days after Yom Kippur and both DNF'ed. Coincidence? I think not?
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [sportsdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I'm stumped. What are MOT's and MOTP's? I've checked the ST glossary, no luck. Googled MOTP, got these options -

MOTP Maintenance Officer Training Program
MotP Manual of the Planes (Dungeons & Dragons gaming related book)
MOTP Medical Officer Training Plan (Canadian military)

But I'm guessing you're not talking about any of these.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MOT= Member of the Tribe

MOTP= Middle of the Pack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm so glad you asked. I couldn't figure it out either. And then I'm too embarrassed to ask b/c I assume everybody EXCEPT me knows what it means, and then I'll look like a Newbie...
Quote Reply
Re: No workouts for Jews on Christmas... EVE [sportsdoc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangerous analogy (defintely from a jewish standpoint) even if you didn't mean it seriuosly.

I will second you experience thogh. Joined in Sep. a YJCC for two months trial period. Had to be extended til mid Dec. with all the holidays. Definetly sucked.
Quote Reply