Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike...
Quote | Reply
OK, soon I hope to sell a kidney to afford a real Tri bike. I currently ride a Trek 2100 with clip-ons, and I have made the decision to sell it and get something better suited to the ridig that I do - solo rides from 20-40 miles (soon they need to be much longer).

If we can put fit issues aside, and focus only on what is out there, what are my choices?

Cervelo Dual, Leader Ultegra, QR Kilo, Felt, Trek Eq.

What are all of your opinions on the build of these or others? Should I spend a couple more bucks to go up another notch? Can a bike be built up better than these for the same bucks with ebay parts and frames?

I feel like there is too much information for me to sift through with my limited knowledge. I'm asking for what everybody thinks is important when making this choice (frame, componants, wheels, etc.)

I did my first season on a road bike like you all told me to. Now I have a IM/2 in July that I begin training for on Monday, and I think I deserve a Tri bike to ride.

Thanks

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunetly, I don't think the BP-2 fits in the price range anymore.

That had always been my sub 2-g's pick.
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [bigsky17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just dumped my Orbea road bike and went with a Cervelo p2 SL. I, too, was looking for something sub-2k... but the p2 SL was just barely over $2000. I didn't really like Felt, other than the S22, but it was about the same price as the p2, and I liked the fit and ride of the Cervelo better. I went with the p2 over the dual because I liked the frame better, espeically the size... I could get a p2 in 55cm but the dual only came in 54/56.

--
mcoker
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BP-2?

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given your local and price range. Call Tom at Bikesport in Dearborn. Set up a meeting, they will take some measurements, and talk about what bike (in your price range) will be the best fit. Order the bike, and have it fit by them (Included in purchase) when it arrives. You will end up with the best bike AND fit for your money.

And for the record, yes I have been in his shop but never bought anything from him. Just don't have the cash. But if I stay with this hobby and the economy gets a bit better so I get a few raises, I will have my Titanflex Frame delivered to his shop for fit and building.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you want this bike to do for you? Is it important for it to be as aerodynamic as possible? As stiff as possible (for sprinting or serious out-of-the-saddle climbing)? As pretty as possible? As durable as possible? Nobody can help you with your decision until you can answer these (and probably other) questions.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in a similar price range and am looking at the Felts on tom's site and the new QR Kilo.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Last edited by: TripleThreat: Oct 12, 05 9:21
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I want a bike that is the best possible to train and race in Triathlons. I don't do group rides, I rarely climb, and I need all the help I can get on the run, so I want to be fresh off the bike. I have destroyed bottom brackets on my MTB in the past, so I guess I can put some torque out. I love the aero position and feel more relaxed there than on my hoods or drops. Sex appeal is always welcome, but I sometimes like things for being really ugly.

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
used to be:
www.bpstealth.com

now I think it's just:

valdoracycles.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ebay has some great deals, but you have to be patient, and do your research. THis year I got a QR santos TI, full ultegra, riden 1 season, nice wheels for under $1200. Perfect size, very good condition, and less than 1/2 the price new. Also got my road bike 3 years ago, frame and fork, Derosa great condition for 1/3 new. Alot of people buy things the wrong size, spend too much, or just quit the sport, etc.. Get sized on a couple of b8ikes you like, be flexable on choice, and be patient, and you can get a great bike for under $2000
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out closeouts on last years models. I got an 05 tequilo for 1500. That left some coin for race wheels. If you fit on the 05 kilo, you'll fit on the caliente and tequilo from the same year. The frame geometry is the same for all. The 05 Tequilo was nice bang for the buck

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yaqui Manzanita, $1795. I just bought a Ocotillo from Ves and couldn't be happier. Perfect fit out of the box!

www.yaquiusa.com.

jimmyk
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
'05 Tequilo vs. '06 Kilo or Tequilo which is the better value? I like aero seatposts and all but it looks like they cost about $800.00.

I don't know anything about the wheelsets. (of coares I ride Bontrager Selects now so I think that anything is a step up)

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the Gurus also, the Chron Alu is a good bike well under 2k.

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/reviews/cron.shtml

Nice finish, geometry fit me, not that many out on the streets... take a look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought about it long and hard. I like my saddle a litle off to the left. Integrated posts don't usually allow for that. Plus, the shop where I got the 05 allowed me to make a few changes to the spec for a great deal. The product spec on the 05 and 06, as far as I know, is substantially similar. I think the major difference is in the seatpost and fork. The frame appears substantially similar. From what I can tell, the wheelset is about equal as well.

I rationalized it this way. The aero difference in the integrated seatpost wasn't worth the money. The fork on the 05 is more than aero enough and is that same one that is on the Lucero. So it clearly doesn't suck. I figure that the difference in the frame, fork, and seatpost wasnt't worth the extra cost. I figured that I got Ultegra 10 on a nice frame for 1500, thus leaving me extra money to get nice race wheels.

I also figured that I could get the Tequilo NOW as opposed to later. That meant more time in the saddle. Check out All3sports. They ship cheap and the 05 is only 1500 right now. They help size and offer to switch out stems and stuff to help with the fit.

- Nick
Now that I know some of you guys look through the special needs bags for kicks, I'm gonna put some really weird stuff in mine. I can see it now. "What the heck was he going to do with a family pack of KFC chicken, a football helmet full of peanut butter, a 12 inch rubber dildo, and naked pictures of Bea Arthur?"
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [stallion1031] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, I can buy that. Now would it be worth paying $2400 for the Caliente? Or should I put the $900 towards a set of Zipps/HEDs?

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 05 caliente and Tequilo are the same frame with upgraded wheels and Dura-Ace instead of Ultegra. For my purposes, DA10 is equal to Ult10. Ult10 shifts perfectly fine. The brakes and brake levers are upgraded on the Caliente as well. That I didn't worry about, I don't do much descendin in FL, thus as long as the brakes work decently well, its all I need.

I would get the Tequilo, upgrade the basebar and maybe the saddle (though I like the QR saddle). Then, you can pick the wheels you want as opposed to being stuck with just the Real Design wheels from the Caliente. Then you will have a pair to train on and a race pair. For 900 you have a good chunk of the cost of a set of zipps, or you could get some Hed3s. I opted to get a rebranded carbon wheelset at a cheap price. I already had a disc, but with the money saved, I could have picked up another Renn.

I totalled up the retail cost for my race setup at about $3,700. I paid about $2,400. Tough to beat.

- Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's like anything else...take your time and wait for the deals to come up....just make sure you know your bike size...

There's tons of deals to be had, you can build up your own bike if you like to wrench and hunt for a good buy on parts or wait till all the big guns clear their last years stock...

And there's always the discontinued models...Cervelo P3 for example...will be some deals floating around on this board over the winter as folks move up to newer models....just take your time!!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, Im a bit lost. Are you trying to find the right sub-2k bike, or are you trying to get the most expensive bike you can for sub 2K?

This thread has really turned into how to get the best bargain you can, not necesarily the right bike.

Just Triing
Triathlete since 9:56:39 AM EST Aug 20, 2006.
Be kind English is my 2nd language. My primary language is Dave it's a unique evolution of English.
Quote Reply
Re: No stone unturned, finding the right sub-2K bike... [DavHamm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I started the thread to get opinions on the sub 2K bikes in general. There are a lot of things that vary from bike to bike that I don't understand which would be better, ie. base wheelsets.

I can look and see Ultegra 10 vs Dura Ace, but does that matter, and should I care. Does the extra grand for a Full DA bike make sense, or should the money be spent on better wheels?

At this time I just want to see what is out there and is the best bike for the money. I agree that going to get a fit at Tom's is the best option (he carries most in that range), but I also want to see what everybody elso has to say about the different bikes.

Also, saving $500 on a $2,000 bike is really significant.

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO, the base wheelset on your bike shouldn't be a major concern if you have race wheels. I'd opt for a more durable, less aero set for training. That way when you put on the race wheels you feel super fast.

- Nick
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well that is the deal though, I cannot afford race wheels (I can barely afford the bike). But I do have a budget of 2K to get whatever I can.

Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can get a nice rig for 2k. If I was you, I would get the Tequilo or some other comparable ride. A Dual is another great option. Both come with servicable wheels. No, they aren't super aero, but they will be good for training and will work just fine for racing. Both bikes will give you a solid frame that you can upgrade over time. Pick 2 or three bikes that fit and are in your price range, and then shop around. I recommend the Tequilo so much because its what I ride and I love it. On top of that, its a great deal and most dealers are selling them cheap. That being said, the Tequilo may not be the best bike for you. Perhaps the Dual or another bike fits you better. Take the time to get fit for the bike.

Its the end of the season, so don't sweat race wheels now. My best suggestion is to get the bike and spend as much time on it as you can this winter. Keep an eye on the classifieds and Ebay. I got a Renn disc from someone on the forum for about $225. As the new gear comes out, people sell their old stuff. There are great deals to be had on wheels that were only used in a few races.

Another thing I recommend is upgrading the bike when you buy it. The shop where I got mine gave me good trade in value for things I took off the bike. You can upgrade a few parts this way for little extra cost. Its better than having extra stuff that you can't sell lying around when you upgrade later.

- Nick
Quote Reply