Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Your 2022 Relationship With Alcohol
Quote | Reply
Well, Hello there Everyone!

I needed to make sure a black cat didn't just walk by because I could have sworn I was making this exact post half a second ago...except it was ::checks notes:: on December 30th, 2020. Remember way back then? Whooosah, what another year this has been.

Which is why it's important that we keep this streak alive, with the annual SlowTwitch Dry January "challenge"! Let's start the year off on the right foot, in control of one of our controllables and investing in ourselves early on.

One of the main success points that we have every year is the teamwork and camaraderie. We all cheer each other on, either publicly in this thread or privately through our DMs. I'm grateful that it's the one time of year that we can all put our differences aside (Challenge vs Ironman, LS vs. Frodo, etc) and do something good for ourselves.

If you're playing along for the first time, or are just now coming out of your post-holiday fog and need a refresher, here's how this goes:

1. I'll be posting a check-in here every day throughout January. Feel free to read along, nod silently in agreement, or check in yourself for accountability. If you don't feel comfortable checking in publicly, I offer you my personal pompoms and private message inbox every day you need it.

2. Take this extra time to tune into your body. We all love data- keep track of your resting HR, hours slept, quality of sleep, how many chocolate chips you snarfed because you're missing your after dinner ritual, and how well you're otherwise staying hydrated. There are lots more metrics too, so share with the class what you're experiencing!

3. The goal of this month is to evaluate your relationship with alcohol. Some people will come into this thread to tell us that drinking is wrong and gross and we're awful humans for enjoying a nice single barrel bourbon every so often (come on, this IS the ST forum after all), but many others will share inspiring stories about their sobriety and encourage us to fulfill our promise to ourselves this month and potentially beyond. And, several of us will also discuss our favorite beverage of choice- the one that gets us through this month, and the one we're looking forward to after this period ends. Quality over quantity is a common theme here.

4. If you manage to succeed in staying dry for 31 days, that's 8.5% of your year spent sober. Woohoo!

Are you ready? Let's goooooo!

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Last edited by: Dr_Cupcake: Feb 2, 22 18:46
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [Dr_Cupcake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m in. Might be a bit longer than January but happy to join the team for the first 31 days!

Randy Christofferson(http://www.rcmioga.blogspot.com

Insert Doubt. Erase Hope. Crush Dreams.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After updating Cellar tracker, Strava for your wine, this seems like a splendid idea. I project saving enough to pay for a new bike should I make it to July 1st dry!

Cheers

^see what I did there?

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [1fastbeaver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to stop drinking the cheap stuff :p

I'm in. Last year I regretted not getting on board so I just did a dry February on my own, and I thoroughly enjoyed it from a training perspective. So this year I'm shooting for two months off.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [Runorama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If only I could get the wife to join in, it would be a 720s 😂

What did you see for weight loss last year?

http://www.researchms.org/trifest/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m in! First year for the challenge. Looking forward to hitting the reset button.

Specialized Shiv Mafia?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Might as well give it a go since the flu wiped out my training for the last half of December!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in, too.

Drank less than I had in 30 years last year, mostly due to training. Will be nice to kick off 2022 on the right foot!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have to wait until January 8th. Going to an all-inclusive in the Caribbean in a couple of days.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In last year for the first time, zero alcohol since that time. improved training, racing. Tried several zero alcohol products as a substitute for the relaxing ritual of pouring and sipping champagne, wine. Found the following with zero alcohol and reduced sugar:Thomson&Scott NOUGHTY sparkling rose/chardonnay, Starla red wine. Thanks Dr. Cupcake!!

member CupCake Cartel
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely In. Thanks mucho for keeping this going!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
After updating Cellar tracker, Strava for your wine, this seems like a splendid idea. I project saving enough to pay for a new bike should I make it to July 1st dry!

I drink a lot less beer since I stopped using Untappd, about 3 years ago

Chasing every new release available to me, piling up the badges & so on, was getting to be too much [AND expensive]

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Last edited by: RandMart: Dec 30, 21 5:04
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In for year 3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in! I did it last year after a rough 2020 (virtual schooling, anyone??), and it helped me to pause and think about my pretty much daily drinking.
I overall drank less and more mindfully the rest of the year... quality over quantity! Looking forward to another dry January with associated better sleep and training, and exploring more tasty NA beverages. I'm super into flavored seltzers and hop-infused tea, but always looking for new suggestions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in for year 5!

In 2018, my first year, I think I made it 26 or so days. In 2021 I did Dry January, and then Sober October (and 26 days of November lol).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great. I always quietly applaud these posts even though I usually drink a bit (mostly weekends) in the winter. I'm in a cold, snowy place and it's my off-season. I hardly drink at all during the months leading up to a big race usually in late summer/early fall. But this year I'm considering going dry this in January. I am opting out of our local wine club after 10 years. It's hard to keep up when I don't drink 6 months a year depending on what I'm doing for a race (full IM?).

There are a few good alternatives out there to help. I really like Athletic Brewing. Yes it's not real beer and I certainly know living in one of most popular local brew states. It's hipster heaven for small breweries in my state (northeast US). But Athletic Brewing does a pretty good job. Before them I never drank non-alcoholic beer.

Also, there are some good hard liquor alternatives. I'll hold off on mentioning the ones I like since I don't want to order and find out they are out of stock again! But there are plenty out there now!

I know I feel so much better living alcohol free, but I really do love my wine, local beer and even some great local ciders. I love to self-medicate too on Friday nights during the off-season. Not healthy but it's hard to pass up. I may try to go alcohol-free in January and see how it goes. I just have one more bottle of port to finish this weekend :-)

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Last edited by: Triingtotrain: Dec 30, 21 11:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,

I am in, as I have had an issue with it 'lately'.

Following quitting job, house, stress and moving home early 2021 I have gradually consumed a lot, up to 1 bottle of wine a day since may, here attached effect on HR (avg night) and HRV (avg night from oura ring), starting from February 2021 just after completing dry January 2021.

looking towards some support and happy to be surrounded by,

cheers!
Last edited by: Luke37: Dec 30, 21 11:35
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [Luke37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in! Over 3 years alcohol-free here.

I'm an ambassador for Athletic Brewing---feel free to message me if you're interested in trying some during No Alcohol January. I'm happy to provide a 20% discount code for your first online order. They even have a Dry January pack!
Last edited by: triguy1984: Dec 30, 21 13:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.5 years so far. Was having some heart issues and figured it might help, but it did not. Still drinking Genesee NA beers and not missing the regular Genny or even Pabst.

Even quit real coffee. That didn't help either. But it saves some weight bike packing.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [triguy1984] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triguy1984 wrote:
I'm in! I'm an ambassador for Athletic Brewing---feel free to message me if you're interested in trying some during No Alcohol January. I'm happy to provide a 20% discount code for your first order. They even have a Dry January pack!

I just noticed that they're doing 12-packs in my store now! Saves a trip LOL

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1fastbeaver wrote:
If only I could get the wife to join in, it would be a 720s 😂

What did you see for weight loss last year?

My wife and I did this a few years ago and I have to admit it was a mighty struggle.

Zero chance I could get her to do it again, in fact not sure I want to either.

Good luck to all who persevere !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just want to say good luck to everyone participating. Whatever your reason may be, I hope you find the support or motivation you need for the month or beyond.

I have not touched any alcohol since 2004 when a close friend was hit and killed by a drunk driver. The drunk driver survived and served 10 years in prison. The accident was the drunk driver’s 3rd DUI offense. Wish they could have learned the dangers of consuming alcohol much sooner in their life.

Whenever I hear someone say they are wanting to make a change regarding their relationship with alcohol, whatever that looks like to them, I think it is a great move.
Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You’ve got this! We have a massively wonderful armada of supporters and cheerleaders to help you get through the month.

Quote Reply
Re: No Alcohol January 2022 [Scheherazade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I appreciated your solidarity this Sober-tober with me until IM California derailed my end of the month ;) Your two have got this!

Quote Reply

Prev Next