Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit?
Quote | Reply
Ocean temps seem to be trending warmer this year. I have a feeling this year will be non wetsuit for the AGs. What do you guys think?
Last edited by: kobayashi: Aug 29, 23 2:12
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [kobayashi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
100% wetsuit allowed
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, definitely not 100%, but we'll see.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jollyroger88 wrote:
100% wetsuit allowed

Why so confident?
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [WhittleFit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
2 days of bad weather and water temp already dropped to 26°C; air temp expected <24°C max for the next 10 days. no way wetsuit will be forbidden on sept. 10th
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Current temperature of the sea in Nice is 26 degrees C. Wetsuits forbidden for age groupers above 24.5 degrees C. Looks likely to be non wetsuit but I'll be bringing a wetsuit and a swimskin just in case
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan The Man wrote:
Current temperature of the sea in Nice is 26 degrees C. Wetsuits forbidden for age groupers above 24.5 degrees C. Looks likely to be non wetsuit but I'll be bringing a wetsuit and a swimskin just in case

We have just had 2 weeks of really hot weather. The next week is rain/low temps and the week after is not looking good.

It will be wetsuit for AGers and non wetsuit for pro’s.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Dan The Man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah
https://seatemperature.info/...ter-temperature.html
Current sea temp ( 25.2°C) has dropped 2 degrees in 5 days so by 10 Sep heading below 24.5°C.

Section 4.02 WETSUIT RULES
(a) For age-group athletes, relay team athletes and Open Division athletes, wetsuits
may be worn in water temperature up to and including 24.5 degrees C/76.1 degrees
F (DSQ)
(b)
(c) For professional athletes, wetsuits may be worn in water temperatures up to and
including 21.9 degrees C/71.5 degrees F; (DSQ)
Last edited by: Ajax Bay: Aug 29, 23 5:07
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [SheridanTris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SheridanTris wrote:
It will be wetsuit for AGers and non wetsuit for pro’s.

This is what I would bet on but nobody will know until the morning of the race. Be prepared for both is the best advice.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [marcoviappiani] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a great swimmer (1h10+), have raced in wetsuit with 23c water, it gets very uncomfortable for a 3.8k swim for me so if I had to choose I'd prefer non wetsuit unless water really cools down.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How are you with getting "beat up" in the water? A non wetsuit wearer in a race with overwhelming majority wearing a wetsuit will likely endure a much rougher swim than normal if no one was in wetsuits. And not on purpose, just the nature of the swim dynamics with wetsuit swim and body position of everyone else etc.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed if everybody else wears it, you have no choice. I'll probably just have to reduce effort so that I don't get cooked before I even hit the bike
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [ItaloBritt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, best choice is to still wear the wetsuit but reduce the intensity so you don't overheat. Nice will have a mass ocean water start for each AG wave for the first time ever, so it'll be quite punchy at the start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the IM WC Nice 70.3 in 2019. For the women we were allowed to wear our wetsuits. I was warm in mine. Would stop briefly every 10 mins and let water into my wetsuit by the neck. The next day it was not wetsuit legal for the men. (If i remember correctly)

If I had to do it again and it was wetsuit legal, I'd wear just my Roka SIM shorts or invest in a shortie wetsuit that is sleeveless. But that's me. An older woman who prefers it on the cooler side when swimming. There were a lot of complaints about the water being too warm for wetsuits for the women's race. The water is salty, and you will be more buoyant. I did my practice swims in my skinsuit and was fine with that too. I'm a mid-pack swimmer.

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Triingtotrain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
I did the IM WC Nice 70.3 in 2019. For the women we were allowed to wear our wetsuits. I was warm in mine. Would stop briefly every 10 mins and let water into my wetsuit by the neck. The next day it was not wetsuit legal for the men. (If i remember correctly)

If I had to do it again and it was wetsuit legal, I'd wear just my Roka SIM shorts or invest in a shortie wetsuit that is sleeveless. But that's me. An older woman who prefers it on the cooler side when swimming. There were a lot of complaints about the water being too warm for wetsuits for the women's race. The water is salty, and you will be more buoyant. I did my practice swims in my skinsuit and was fine with that too. I'm a mid-pack swimmer.

Good suggestions. It will be interesting to see what happens. I did IM Texas a few years ago and they had a wetsuit only wave (not eligible for spots etc), and i got pretty warm. I'm a terrible swimmer though, so i like the idea of getting a shortie wetsuit or the ROKA shorts.
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri Bread wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

Good suggestions. It will be interesting to see what happens. I did IM Texas a few years ago and they had a wetsuit only wave (not eligible for spots etc), and i got pretty warm. I'm a terrible swimmer though, so i like the idea of getting a shortie wetsuit or the ROKA shorts.

I really love my Roka SIM shorts. Any SIM or Lava type shorts will work. DeSoto used to make a two piece and my husband has an old two piece he wears once in a while. The vest is sleeveless, and the pants are not full length. Sometimes in the summer he would just wear the DeSoto swim pants for the bouncy but still keeping cool.

I recently did IMLP and it was wetsuit legal. I think they were saying the temps were around 72F but felt a bit warmer. I was actually quite warm in my full wetsuit. I wished I had a sleeveless or shortie or wore my husband's DeSoto 2 piece for that one. It's not a nice feeling being too warm while swimming. I prefer to be hot on the bike and/or run.

Hey found it. Here is a new version of the DeSoto two piece:

T1 Speed Collection – De Soto Sport

Death is easy....peaceful. Life is harder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triingtotrain wrote:
Tri Bread wrote:
Triingtotrain wrote:

I really love my Roka SIM shorts. Any SIM or Lava type shorts will work. DeSoto used to make a two piece and my husband has an old two piece he wears once in a while. The vest is sleeveless, and the pants are not full length. Sometimes in the summer he would just wear the DeSoto swim pants for the bouncy but still keeping cool.

I recently did IMLP and it was wetsuit legal. I think they were saying the temps were around 72F but felt a bit warmer. I was actually quite warm in my full wetsuit. I wished I had a sleeveless or shortie or wore my husband's DeSoto 2 piece for that one. It's not a nice feeling being too warm while swimming. I prefer to be hot on the bike and/or run.

Hey found it. Here is a new version of the DeSoto two piece:

T1 Speed Collection – De Soto Sport

Thanks for the link. Will definitely keep an eye out for this (or something similar) at the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were correct - it was wetsuit legal for women, and men it was non-wetsuit during the 2019 70.3 WC.

IG: NCGregory8778
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Savage8778] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The water temperature has nicely dropped to 24.7 / 24.8 today, compared to 27.6 six days ago on August 25. I'm optimistic it'll be wetsuit legal in ten days!
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Today was 24.2 C so I think wetsuit will be allowed
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
enricobraglia wrote:
Today was 24.2 C so I think wetsuit will be allowed

Like Button pressed
Quote Reply
Re: Nice Ironman WC Wetsuit or no Wetsuit? [Tri Bread] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now I'm a bit worried.

Some websites show current sea water temperature of 23.8 Celsius (https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/france/nice.htm), while some other websites show 24.6 Celsius (https://seatemperature.net/...ance-sea-temperature) or even 24.7 Celsius (https://seatemperature.info/...ter-temperature.html). The weather forecast is flawless until Sunday. It'll be borderline and we'll only know on Sunday morning, if the wetsuit is allowed for AG.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a bad swimmer and was very happy last weekend to be able to use a wetsuit in an ironman distance. There was swimming in a fresh water pond. The wetsuit made it a lot easier to me.
However, I can calm you down: swimming in salt water without a wetsuit is like swimming in fresh water with a wetsuit: no worries!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kobayashi wrote:
Ocean temps seem to be trending warmer this year. I have a feeling this year will be non wetsuit for the AGs. What do you guys think?

For what it is worth. When I did Ironman France in July. It was No-wetsuit for pros and Wetsuit for the rest.
Do not think the sea temp has changed much since then.

Full-time Engineer / Part-time Pro Triathlete
Instagram - https://www.instagram.com/benwgoodfellow/
Strava - https://www.strava.com/athletes/3085032
Website - https://benwgoodfellow.wixsite.com/bengoodfellow
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Michal_CH wrote:
Now I'm a bit worried.

Some websites show current sea water temperature of 23.8 Celsius (https://www.seatemperature.org/europe/france/nice.htm), while some other websites show 24.6 Celsius (https://seatemperature.net/...ance-sea-temperature) or even 24.7 Celsius (https://seatemperature.info/...ter-temperature.html). The weather forecast is flawless until Sunday. It'll be borderline and we'll only know on Sunday morning, if the wetsuit is allowed for AG.

Don't worry. French referees' thermometers usually measure low. My guess is the sea temperature must be at least one degree Celsius above the limit (24.5 if I'm not mistaken) for the referees to make the decision not to allow the wetsuit. If it's borderline, you're safe.
Quote Reply

Prev Next