Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Newbie Trainerroad advice
Quote | Reply
I have two somewhat stupid questions I hope someone could help me with? I just want to make sure I am getting the best value from my training. Apologies for the wording but I am not an experienced cyclist.

I am using an interactive trainer (Elite Novo Smart) and Trainerroad.

1. Bike gears
I previously trained using the Trainerroad app with the chain on my big sprocket (front) and middle to small cogs at the rear cassette. A few months ago when I got a new phone and installed trainerroad again, I noticed the tip to use the small sprocket (front) for less noise and less stress on the chain. I have done this and it is certainly quieter. However, when I race I use the big sprocket (front) and the smaller sprockets (back cassette) so my question is should I be using the big sprocket with the app to make gains? I use erg mode so allow the trainer to control resistance but obviously when I use the big front sprocket my bike computer shows me holding a much higher speed and bigger distance covered. I suppose I am asking is: when using Trainerroad and the smart trainer, does resistance I use when using the small front sprocket equal the resistance of using the big front sprocket? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Training Plans
I trained using the low-volume sprint triathlon plan for most of the year and made great progress (again from a beginner perspective). My life does not allow for much more training time so the mid-volume sprint plan is too far a stretch. Because of this, I started using the Olympic distance low-volume training plan as the training sessions are roughly the same number as the low volume sprint albeit a little longer for each with more time involved for each session. Still manageable though. My questions is...are the low volume sprint and low volume Olympic similar enough to allow me to progress and race fast at sprint events?

Thanks for your help,
Karl
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Trainerroad advice [Newbie101112] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Newbie101112 wrote:
I have two somewhat stupid questions I hope someone could help me with? I just want to make sure I am getting the best value from my training. Apologies for the wording but I am not an experienced cyclist.

I am using an interactive trainer (Elite Novo Smart) and Trainerroad.

1. Bike gears
I previously trained using the Trainerroad app with the chain on my big sprocket (front) and middle to small cogs at the rear cassette. A few months ago when I got a new phone and installed trainerroad again, I noticed the tip to use the small sprocket (front) for less noise and less stress on the chain. I have done this and it is certainly quieter. However, when I race I use the big sprocket (front) and the smaller sprockets (back cassette) so my question is should I be using the big sprocket with the app to make gains? I use erg mode so allow the trainer to control resistance but obviously when I use the big front sprocket my bike computer shows me holding a much higher speed and bigger distance covered. I suppose I am asking is: when using Trainerroad and the smart trainer, does resistance I use when using the small front sprocket equal the resistance of using the big front sprocket? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Training Plans
I trained using the low-volume sprint triathlon plan for most of the year and made great progress (again from a beginner perspective). My life does not allow for much more training time so the mid-volume sprint plan is too far a stretch. Because of this, I started using the Olympic distance low-volume training plan as the training sessions are roughly the same number as the low volume sprint albeit a little longer for each with more time involved for each session. Still manageable though. My questions is...are the low volume sprint and low volume Olympic similar enough to allow me to progress and race fast at sprint events?

Thanks for your help,
Karl

I'll address question 1.

Yes, the resistance is the same. If you're in ERG mode, watts are watts, doesn't matter what gear you decided to use. I've heard of some people mixing it up every few rides so they don't wear out one specific gear. Like you mentioned the differences are the noise level, and the speed TR will say you are going and then the distance. When I was using TR I messed around with different gears and found one that would give me average speed (and thus mileage) that was similar to what I would do outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big vs Small on the front is something that's been long debated. I heard in a podcast from TR (they have great podcasts) that unless you're putting out significant watts, you're better off on the small ring as it provides for a smoother pedal stroke (ie: less power spikes) and MUCH less noise. As the poster above mentioned, watts are watts.

Personally, I train on the small ring 2-3x a week for my sweet spot sessions and then to mix it up, I will train on the big ring once a week for my long ride - just to balance out the wear and tear and remain familiar with the feel of the big ring since that's what we race with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow! I had no idea about it. I will definitely try the small ring in the front next time. Quieter is better!!
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Trainerroad advice [teichs42] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million for the response. Good point about wearing out gears, I have never thought of that. Good to know that watts are watts and will mix it up a bit to keep the wear and year even.
Quote Reply
Re: Newbie Trainerroad advice [blayze] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a million for r the response. Great to clarify this and know I am on right track. Great point about mixing it up and using big wheel for long rides to simulate race use. Had never thought about the wear and year
Quote Reply