Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Newb...but I think I have some potential
Quote | Reply
I'm going to do my first tri at the end of July.
I'm a runner, but have had some success bike racing as well.

My first serious brick was yesterday. I did an interval workout on the bike (standard road bike); going 31 miles in 1;30:05, I timed my transition (115), then I did 1.5 miles of hard running in 8:25, then 15 minutes of easier running (7ish), then finished up with 1 on the track in 516.

I'm assuming this is a solid workout. I feel like I can handle the bike/run portion of the event. The main problem is the swim. I swim 400 yards now and again we we take my daughter swimming, but nothing structured. I'm honestly a little scared of the open water at this point.

As far as equipment goes, I did buy a used TT bike for a song <$600 for a Ridley Cheetah. My question is about wheels. I know I need an upgrade, but I just can't justify spending $1500 for wheels. Does anyone have any experience with Planet X wheels?

What about ten year old zipps or other high end wheels on the classifieds? Which would be better, new planet Xs (or other "off brand"), or a well used name-brand set?
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [Timeyer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, you haven't done a race yet...
You are uncertain about swimming and a little nervous about OW swimming...
You're a decent runner...
And your big question for your first post is on race wheels?

Learn to get comfortable in the water. Do a few races. Find out if you even like the sport. Then start talking about upgrades.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
save your wheel money. buy a gym membership (that has a pool). or join a master's program. or take some swim lessons. All the bike and run speed in the world isn't going to help you if you can't even make it to the bike. And all the bike and run speed in the world isn't going to help if you're too tired out of the water. You have one month which is a good amount of time to at least get acclimated and comfortable in the water. Forget about trying to buy a few seconds on the bike and instead focus on getting a few minutes on the swim.
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [eelie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You're hitting on what I'm nervous about.

Do I add length to swim training...or break it up and try to swim faster?
Also, as far as the wheels, I'm still interested. I do a local omnium and some duathlons. I don't want to drop $1500 on wheels if a $500 used set will give me 90% of the upgrade advantage.

I hate how people are so damn critical on message boards. I know how to run, and have been successful biking but hate bike culture, which leads you to multisport....I figured things would be more positive.
Last edited by: Timeyer: Jul 2, 13 7:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured things would be more positive.

Stop, you're killing me here. :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PSA: Slowtwitch is not the place to come for positiveness.

Last edited by: d00d: Jul 2, 13 7:42
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't listen to a word these fools are saying. Get a second job, refinance your house, do what ever it takes to buy speed.

That way when you get out on the course and get smoked by an old guy on a single speed from the 80's you'll realize you don't have any excuses left and will be willing to spend money on the engine :-)

Seriously though, your spending priorities should be on:

1) Technique
2) Comfort
3) Looking good
4) Aerodynamics
5) Weight

#3 is important because you still stand a chance of picking up some hotties even if you don't podium. (This is of course an unproven hypothesis as far as I know)

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [eelie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eelie wrote:
save your wheel money. buy a gym membership (that has a pool). or join a master's program. or take some swim lessons. All the bike and run speed in the world isn't going to help you if you can't even make it to the bike. And all the bike and run speed in the world isn't going to help if you're too tired out of the water. You have one month which is a good amount of time to at least get acclimated and comfortable in the water. Forget about trying to buy a few seconds on the bike and instead focus on getting a few minutes on the swim.

This x 1000.

Truer words have never been spoken. It's impossible to be competitive in races when you give your opponents 20-25 minutes of a head start because you swim like sh*t.

PS - I'm crying to myself right now because I'm describing me :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:

Also, as far as the wheels, I'm still interested. I do a local omnium and some duathlons. I don't want to drop $1500 on wheels if a $500 used set will give me 90% of the upgrade advantage.

I hate how people are so damn critical on message boards. I know how to run, and have been successful biking but hate bike culture, which leads you to multisport....I figured things would be more positive.

People on this board will tell you what you need to hear, not what you want to hear. You want to hear that you're a great biker and a great runner and you'll place well in your race and be competitive for the win. What you need to hear is that based on that one workout you described you're an okay biker and a pretty good runner.

Do you have potential? The answer is it depends. It depends on how hard that bike was for you, how much you've trained to get to this point, how much more you're willing to give to your training. At this point it also depends very heavily on your swim. Even in a sprint the swim will take 10-15 minutes for a good swimmer. That's not something you can fake your way through and then crush it on the bike and run.

Get in the water as much as possible this month. Mix it up. Swim as many 50s and 100s close to all out as you can. Swim slow for as long as you can (shoot for 1000-2000yds continuous). Watch as many youtube videos on technique as you can find. Here is a great resource for workouts: http://mastersswimworkoutsbysaramclarty.blogspot.com/. At this point do whatever you can.

As far as wheels go, buy whatever you can afford. A cheaper wheelset like Mavic Cosmic Carbone SL's or Planet X or FLO with a disc cover will get you >95% of the way there. Some people argue it'll get you >99% of the way there.

I don't know what successful biking means to you but in a Sprint and Olympic distance race (which I'm assuming is what you're training for) if you want to be competitive on a local, age group scale you'll need to be averaging upwards of 23.5mph and be able to run under 19 minutes for a 5k or 39 minutes for a 10k. That is showing potential on a local scene. If you want to talk about potential on a national age group or back of the pack pro scene I can give you some numbers to shoot for as well.
Last edited by: eelie: Jul 2, 13 7:44
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:

swim, swim, swim. you don't need wheels yet. it's not a good amount of speed for the money.

swim. 10,000yds per week minimum. swim. you're riding pretty decent and obviously the run wont't be a problem.

swim.

edit: forget 10,000yds/wk. swim 12,000.

-Jason
Last edited by: jasondubose: Jul 2, 13 8:26
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This =)

Tri-Banter wrote:

Learn to get comfortable in the water. Do a few races. Find out if you even like the sport. Then start talking about upgrades.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I can ride 25+mph and run 17 5ks off the bike...if I don't drown. before I start as mentioned.

Would three swim sessions per week be adequate. Maybe one long swim (probably 800 meters right now for me), one interval session (as many fast 50s as I can muster) and one 2x300 at near max effort be a good place to start?

I don't need to hear I'm a good biker/runner. I've maxed out my 5k at 1530 (and can't seem to run more w/o getting injured. I'm strong on the bike (TTing @24 mph on the drops on a standard road bike), but don't have the budget to go crazy....still I don't want to have a 5 minute penalty in the water AND the bike, hence the budget wheel question.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Both. But if you have to choose one, break it up and swim faster (no try, just go faster).

And as for wheels, buy whatever you want. Sure, the more rational folks will tell you the most important thing is training, not equiptment (and they are right). But, buying shit is a big part of the fun in triathlon and cycling (and would be in swimming and running too if there was anything of substance to buy . . ). So go for it if it will make you happy!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:
Thanks.

I'm pretty sure I can ride 25+mph and run 17 5ks off the bike...if I don't drown. before I start as mentioned.

Would three swim sessions per week be adequate. Maybe one long swim (probably 800 meters right now for me), one interval session (as many fast 50s as I can muster) and one 2x300 at near max effort be a good place to start?

I don't need to hear I'm a good biker/runner. I've maxed out my 5k at 1530 (and can't seem to run more w/o getting injured. I'm strong on the bike (TTing @24 mph on the drops on a standard road bike), but don't have the budget to go crazy....still I don't want to have a 5 minute penalty in the water AND the bike, hence the budget wheel question.

I'm going to need you to elaborate on that one. What kind of training are you doing week in and week out? Also, why do you think you can bike 25 mph after swimming and then 5:30 miles after swimming and biking?

What I do: http://app.strava.com/athletes/345699
Last edited by: Printer86: Jul 2, 13 9:02
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

He will fit right in around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [Printer86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I CAN ride 25+ and then run 530s...because I do it. Not after swimming though.

When Running only I've topped out @ 60mpw (15 mile long run, one tempo/track session)
When running and biking I usually run 40 and bike between 120 and 200mph with one interval session and one longer ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:
I'm honestly a little scared of the open water at this point.

I think this is the number one thing to work on. Getting comfortable in the open water, regardless of how fast you can go, is going to be big. Throw in the "washing machine" effect of a triathlon, water temperature, getting used to sighting, swimming in a straight line, anxiety of competition, etc. all add up to the swim experience. I don't mean to make it sound like all of that is bad, but when I started, that scared the shit out of me. Finding peace with it is going to be key. The rest will be easier for you, but it's all part of the big learning experience. Finding balance across the disciplines is what makes a good race (and lets you reach your potential).

Where are you located? Are there any open water swim practice opportunities for you?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Please find a masters program.
Good for the goal in working on your swim; but your plan is ......... simply awful.
If there isn't a masters program in your area, perhaps a swimming coach to better advise you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:
My first serious brick was yesterday. I did an interval workout on the bike (standard road bike); going 31 miles in 1;30:05, I timed my transition (115), then I did 1.5 miles of hard running in 8:25, then 15 minutes of easier running (7ish), then finished up with 1 on the track in 516.

You did a 2 hour workout. Good. The real issue is that your event is longer than 2 hours.

Do your event. Decide if you like that type of event. Decide if finishing faster is important or just doing the event is enough for you.

Finally decide if training for improvement is better than paying for improvement.
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [An Old Guy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An Old Guy wrote:
Finally decide if training for improvement is better than paying for improvement.

LOL - You do realize most people don't like the correct answer to this question?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Timeyer wrote:

People on here tend to get intimidated and butthurt when the new guy beats them on raw talent alone. Your times are pretty good. 20mph avg is not bad for a ~30mi ride. Put in tons of work in the pool and you ought to be near the top 20-30 at local races. Welcome to triathlon!

I tweet!

Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [racin_rusty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
racin_rusty wrote:
An Old Guy wrote:

LOL - You do realize most people don't like the correct answer to this question?

What is the correct answer? Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, so my answer would be "both"...

-Andrew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You need to swim more.
Quote Reply
Re: Newb...but I think I have some potential [AMT04] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Disagree... buying speed ahead of training is a bad priority esp for mop ag'ers. Of couse it is a hobby, so what ever floats your boat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim lots, as others have suggested. As much as you can.

As for wheels, the first rule is buy used. Get a set of Flos or Hed 3's, or better yet a front of either of those and a disc cover for your rear wheel. If you get the Heds make sure they're clinchers, and get latex tubes and Conti GP4000s tires, 23mm for the flos or 21mm for the heds. Done.
Quote Reply

Prev Next