Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New tri product: the Speedpack
Quote | Reply
We've posted previously that we have a new 'bento box'-type top tube carrier coming out. Well, now we can announce that it's ready and available. Below is a small photo that shows the Speedpack 480 and there are more (and bigger) images on our website. (FYI, we will also have a version of this pack that fits directly on the Trek speed concept top tube mounts and it should be available soon.)

We designed the Speedpack 480 to maximize the known aerodynamic advantages of top tube-mounted 'bento box'-type carriers. We began by giving our pack a computer-designed aero shape unlike that of any other top tube carrier on the market. Initially, we wondered why no other company made anything similar and now we know why. The bag and its special shape is not easy to make as a sewn product, and we had to come up with a few manufacturing tricks to get it done right.

You can think of the Speedpack as a 'legal fairing' much like an aero helmet. Because, carried full or empty, the Speedpack should be on your bike if saving power and riding faster are your goals. We can't claim that if you ride with a Speedpack, you'll immediately start winning or placing, but with athletes spending thousands to drop a few seconds, we can claim that for many bikes our pack delivers high value in the speed vs. dollars equation.

The Speedpack 480 has many unique features that reduce drag, improve function, ease usability, and maintain durability:
- Aerodynamic CAD-designed shape, tapered and contoured in three dimensions.
- Shaped body, concave bottom, and precisely angled front panel keep the Speedpack tight, flush, and aero.
- 3 strong bottom panel hook & loop straps hold Speedpack securely to top tube and provide mounting options.
- 2 narrow front panel hook & loop straps allow for maximum flexibility for aero attachment to stem and steerer. Front straps can also be attached to cables for frames with top tube entry shift/brake cable routing.
- Smooth invisible YKK zipper with dual sliders allow easy access to your gear, while maintaining aero profile.
- Tough coated nylon sides resist water and abrasion.
- Full-length rubberized bottom grips top tube to keep Speedpack in position.
- Custom shaped HDPE plastic insert and high-density closed cell foam side panels keep aero shape, protect cargo and provide insulation.
- Large 480cc capacity easily fits many of the items you need to carry for training and racing.
- Speedpack body is approx 9 1/2" (24cm) long; 2 3/4" (7cm) tall; and 2" (5cm) wide.
- And actually made in the USA (from US and imported components).

If you like the idea of a small cool tri product made by long time triathletes from a company that keeps jobs in the US instead of sending them overseas, then we would welcome your support and invite you to take a look at our website. We don't have many retailers yet, but you can also easily buy the Speedpack online, direct from us:
http://darkspeedworks.com

We welcome comments or questions, the best way to get a quick response is to reply to this post. And if you know of any shops that should carry our bags, please let us know or send the shop a link to this thread or to our website.

thanks for reading!

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Jun 2, 11 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: New product: the Speedpack 480 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me likey!

Any ST/early adopter discount? : )

(hey, somebody had to ask...)

I've been using the FuelBelt "Aero" bento of late, and it's... ok. This looks like a nice improvement.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New product: the Speedpack 480 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the comment and the suggestion.
(edit: The first 33 early adopters jumped on board pretty fast with trying out the Speedpack.)

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 29, 11 4:34
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How wide are the 2 front straps? My stem is flush on the bottom and has a 5mm spacer on top so I haven't been able to find anything that fits, but this looks just right. Think the front straps would fit?

Looks great, now I can give my wife back her bento box. Order placed!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks very nice.

I'm in the UK. Any chance of sending international yet? If not, any idea when?

Thanks,

Will
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd also be interested in getting one in the UK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kudo's to you for keeping the jobs stateside in good ole Chicago....

When will you have the SC version ready? Or at least some photos.
Last edited by: Breomonkey: May 4, 11 4:37
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice Product! I have a question: What are the dimensions? I saw 9.5" long but how wide and how tall in the front?

Again, nice work and good luck!

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Last edited by: Tom3: May 4, 11 5:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
Thanks for comment and the suggestion. An ST/early adopter discount is a good idea, so how about 10% off the Speedpack for the first 33 STers that write "me likey" in the 'message to seller' box (for paypal) when they order. If you use google checkout and there is no message box, just send us a slowtwitch private message with your first initial and last name with 'me likey' right after you place the order and we'll make sure you get it.

FYI, you will pay the full amount, but the first 33 buyers from ST who write the message will get their discount processed as a partial refund for paypal checkout. For google checkout, your credit card will actually be charged the discounted amount when we get and process the order (our website is really simple, no coupon codes yet, so we gotta do it this way right now).

Done and done. Looks like the 10% off will pretty much cover the shipping, so that's cool.
Looking forward to being a "beta tester" for this.
If you get it shipped out to me relatively soon, I can rock this on my P4 for American Zofingen.

Best-
M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New product: the Speedpack 480 [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Got it!

We'll get some basic installation tips up on our website later today (it will be linked from the products page) that will share what we've found and give some installation guidance for athletes on regular bikes, as well those on tri bikes with aero top tube cable entry.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 31, 11 7:17
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [rpeterson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The front straps are each 5/8" wide and they are spaced about 3/8" apart.

With there being a multitude of bikes, stems, and spacer set ups, we can't be sure the Speedpack will fit your bike, but you could get one and test it (if it doesn't fit right, just send it back in new condition and we'll give you a refund). That said, we have tested our bag with just one strap in the front and it worked fine. You could ride with it that way and test it with your biggest realistic payload and see how that goes. If test riding goes well with just one strap around your steerer (fold the unused velcro behind the stem), eventually you could (carefully) cut off the unneeded strap.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me likey too.
me ordered
me sending pm for the discount - fyi no comment box on google checkout.
thnx
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [Barlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We should have some international shipping options (including the UK) sorted out in about a week or so. We'll send you a message when we're ready.

Thanks for your interest!

--
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [Breomonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The trek speed concept-only Speedpack will actually look identical to the Speedpack 480, the only difference will be that it won't have any velcro straps, but instead will have a bolt kit that will allow you to direct mount it to the top tube mounts on the speed concept series frames. We have tested it and the HDPE plastic insert (w/ pre-cut mounting holes) will maintain the stiffness of the pack and mount method (assuming you don't carry a lead brick in your Speedpack).

FYI, the Speedpack 480SC should be available in a couple of weeks.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 4, 11 6:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait to use this. it will complete my setup with the aero hammock.
Last edited by: swimfan: May 4, 11 6:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I'll await your mail.
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
9.5 inches! Whoa that thing is looooonnnnggg! Can't you make a shorter and smaller version because otherwise that thing will sit on practically half of the the top tube!

.........................__0.............0
...................._.-\ <,_.........</\_
.....~_.o^,....(...)./.(...)......._/\...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
me likely,
might try to keep the spare kit in it instead of bottle

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess its the length that helps make it aero. There are shorter tapered bento boxes from Fuelbelt and Leyzene. I have a Leyzene one, its fine for a half IM but a bit too small for an IM
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Tom,

Sorry for the delay and thanks for your patience. Your question is a good one and we will post all of the dimensions on the specs above and on our website. The Speedpack 480 is approximately (without considering the velcro straps):

9 1/2" (24cm) long, from the front to the end of the tail
2 3/4" (7cm) tall, at the highest point toward the front end of the pack
2" (5cm) wide, at the bottom; the pack tapers slightly as it gets taller, it's about 1/8" narrower at the top

FYI, when mounted on a round top tube, the pack will be a little shorter in height as it grips the top tube. The Speedpack is a fully three-dimensional design, there are very few straight lines on the pack body. More questions?, just post a reply.

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: May 4, 11 14:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, one more question, how rigid are the sides / bottom? Is it a rigid plastic or one that will allow for some flexibility? I am thinking of mounting in a different spot than the top tube.....hence all my questions.....

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: New tri product: the Speedpack 480 [paxfobiscum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, it seems long but part of that is because the Speedpack has a long and highly tapered 'tail.' Although the tail is hollow and integral to the rest of the pack, the 'main' body of the pack that has some height, if you were to compare it to other 'bento box'-type packs out there, is more in the neighborhood of 6" to 6.5" long.

Why did we make the Speedpack 480 so long? As another poster said, there are other packs on the market that are a lot shorter and that focus on carrying stuff with instant access, much a like those 15-pocket photographer's vests.

But we wanted to take a totally different approach. We compromised slightly on instant accessibility in order to get a big improvement in a truly streamlined design. To get the medium pack height that we desired (a height to approx match a stem with 1 to 3 spacers, or even to fit a flush stem with a spacer or two above it), we needed to make the Speedpack reasonably long to allow for a significant aero improvement vs other 'bento-box'-type packs.

And actually we are thinking of making one or two other sizes using the same basic design, but given the considerable cost of bringing each original design to market, it might be a little while before we get there. Unless you are a youngster on a bike with 24" wheels, this pack will fit nearly any size frame.

Thanks for the interest and the question.

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmm, I have an aero bento box from Fuelbelt that I bought two years ago. How is this different?

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ordered through paypal with "me likey" in the instructions to seller - this looks like it'll fit 2 gel flasks tidily, and i'm sick of the velcro on my current bento box snagging my gloves on training rides!

cheers!

-mistress k

Prev Next