Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to wrenching ... Bearings extraction
Quote | Reply
Guys whats the best way (ie best tool) to extract bearings from sleeves - ie instead of replacing whole BB i would like to have option to replace just the bearings.

I am assuming i will be able to put the bearings back in with a press (what are your preferred presses? i have the simple Wheels mfg 12mm rod with two handles)
Quote Reply
Re: New to wrenching ... Bearings extraction [R2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
parktool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I posted a similar question about replacing the bearings in SRAM GXP BB cups a few days ago; extracting/fitting bearings is the easy part, I was asking more about options for replacement bearings. The key to this is having a correctly-sized drift to press the bearings in and out.

It's a bit of a bodge, but a socket set is great for this purpose; most sets will have a good range of sizes in 1 mm increments that should cover most bearings used on a bike and you can be sure that all the edges are square so that it's going to press the bearings in straight. Sure, if it's a common bearing size and you're going to be servicing them regularly (e.g. for BB30 bottom bracket bearings) then you can buy a proper drift to make life a little easier but otherwise a socket will do the job just as well with a little bit of care and attention. I have the same Wheels Manufacturing press and it's absolutely fine for everything I've tried on the bike; it's not like you're trying to prise out automotive bearings!

What kind of sleeve are you talking about here?
Quote Reply
Re: New to wrenching ... Bearings extraction [Flanny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It may be helpful if you gave a part number for the parktool bearing press/extractor you are talking about.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this tool, very well made and works like a charm. Especially when comes to extracting bearings. It works as a press as well.
It has 30mm and 24mm adapters.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/M8FjCC][/url]

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently changed the bearings out of my HED Jet wheelset. I purchased an extractor from wheels manufacturing (https://wheelsmfg.com/...ring-extractors.html) and it worked like a charm. Now, if you are putting new bearings in and tossing the old, you could just use a punch and tap the old bearings out.
Quote Reply
Re: New to wrenching ... Bearings extraction [1415chris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thats exactly what i am looking for
Quote Reply