Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New to triatlons...confused about swim skins!
Quote | Reply
Hi Everyone! I'm a 45 year old female who has just signed up for her first ever triathlon taking place this summer. I've been reading so much that my eyeballs hurt and I figured it would be easier to just post my questions straight up.

I signed up for 2 triathlons that will take place during the summer. One is a lake swim and the other is an ocean swim (New Jersey). Both don't require (but one will allow) wetsuits because the water is always too warm. After much research, I purchased a Desoto Liftfoil swim skin/tri suit. Desoto's website says it can be worn as both a swim skin and tri-suit. I received it yesterday and tried it on. Holy Hannah, it's tight! My question is how do you wear this thing? Am I supposed to wear something underneath it or am I supposed to wear this for the swim, bike, run and nothing else. I can't imagine being able to fit anything underneath this suit. I purchased a size small, but now I ordered a medium so that I can compare the sizing difference and I'll return one of the two. The zipper is far apart on the back and I was unable to zip it up myself however, I was able to unzip it myself.

Any advice you can provide to me, would be so greatly appreciated. I feel as if I've entered this confusing world of triathlons and as a control freak, I need to have myself as prepared as possible early on. Running is my strong point, swimming is not. I am practicing the swimming 3 times a week, so hopefully I'll be more confident by summer. Thank you in advance for you time and help!
Quote Reply
Re: New to triatlons...confused about swim skins! [artgal331] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Swim skins are generally only designed for swimming. They usually won't have any pad in the shorts for comfort on the bike and are often a more fragile material that may not stand up so well to biking and running. Most people will wear a tri suit underneath and take the swim skin off after the swim, or change in T1 into a tri suit. Personally if I was in your situation I would just wear a tri suit through the whole race, or wear a tri suit with a wetsuit over the top.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That particular suit is made for all 3 events. Maybe Emilio DeSoto will chime in on how tight it should be. He's on here often. If not, just call them and discuss or PM him. Unlike some suits the previous poster referred to, this one is not fragile.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triatlons...confused about swim skins! [triflorida] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was a great choice for your tri-suit. Wear it for all 3 .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Liftfoil is supposed to be tight (I have one). How tight, exactly, I don't know - you should be able to move through your entire range of motion comfortably. With the Liftfoil, there's no need for a swimskin - those are more useful for two-piece tri suits where the top has pockets and the waists of the two pieces may be bulgy.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: New to triatlons...confused about swim skins! [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the front zip Lift foil with the pad, abs used it racing for 3 seasons. Loved it. Yes it very snug, but not restrictive.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, thank you so much for all of your responses and advice! I get it now. There are so many different items of clothing that it gets confusing to know what to wear, how to wear it and when to wear it. Thank you for clarifying this. I already ordered the medium so I'll see how it fits and I'll wear it around the house for a while. Even though the Desoto sizing chart had me at a small, I could have gone with either the small or medium (I was in between the 2 sizes with my measurements). I look forward to being a part of your triathlon cult! I know that once I complete one, I'm going to be totally hooked! Thank you again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello Art Gal,

Thanks so much for buying our Liftfoil. I am sure you are going to love it. Just rest assured that our Liftfoil is designed to fit snug and that the tightest it will ever feel is the first time you try it on. It is not uncommon for the garment to relax a bit after a few wearings. It is also not uncommon to get some help in zipping it up. We are happy to answer any questions for you.

My email address is emilio@desotosport.com and if you prefer to communicate with an expert female, there is nobody who knows this product better than my wife and CFO of the company Tracy De Soto. Her email is tracy@desotosport.com.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply