Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New tires = new tubes?
Quote | Reply
I got a new set of GP5ks to put on my race wheels. I mounted my original tires/ latex tubes 3 years ago. Do I get new tubes, or if it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

If new tubes, any suggestions? I’m too dumb/ stubborn to go tubeless.

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3 years for latex is getting up there. Whilst you may get another year out of them without issues, personally I'd swap seeing as you are messing around with them.

As for what to put in, either vittoria or michelin seem to be much of a muchness to me, although I think the vittoria tested fractionally faster.

Just one point, with new tyres I'd mount and dismount a couple of times with no tube in to let the tyre stretch slightly, so that when you put the latex tube in then you minimise the chance of pinching it. Always a pain when you end up with a pinch puncture on a brande new tyre/tube.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My latex tubes have been in my race wheels since 2015 with no issues. My road bike front wheel has had the same latex tube since 2020 (the rear has had a flat and been changed). Life inside a tire/rim is a highly protected environment. Tubes should be fine.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am leaning in this direction. Good idea on the on and off!

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Duncan74 wrote:
Just one point, with new tyres I'd mount and dismount a couple of times with no tube in to let the tyre stretch slightly, so that when you put the latex tube in then you minimize the chance of pinching it. Always a pain when you end up with a pinch puncture on a brand new tyre/tube.

I would've never thought of that, but it makes sense

Of course, I used to grab a screwdriver when I needed a tire lever as a kid

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Typically I will look at the condition of the stem/tube junction.

If it looks worn or weak then I'll replace them. If the wheels are kept indoors and are only used for racing I would expect at least 3 years out of tubes and tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MI_Mumps wrote:
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?
Basically, yeah.

Regardless if you go used/new tubes, talc the shit outta the inside of the new tires.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [philly1x] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never used talcum powder when installing latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
And unless you washed new latex tubes before you installed them, they had talc on them.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd change out latex tubes if they're 3 years old.

It's not that latex is 100% guaranteed to fail in that timeframe, but latex can definitely get some blebs, stick to your tube, etc, in varied conditions - 2 of my latex tubes that I changed out for flats in <1 year, were severely deformed due to blistering and bubbling, and were partially adherent to my GP5000s. Not sure why this happened either, I don't abuse them and keep the bike in normal temp conditions. I do use talcum powder as well on installing them.

I've come to at least check the integrity of my latex tubes before races by removing the tire and adding some talcum powder around it before reinstalling it just to make sure all is good and no surprises.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
And unless you washed new latex tubes before you installed them, they had talc on them.

I have never added extra talcum powder (as suggested by the person that I was replying to).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
I have never added extra talcum powder (as suggested by the person that I was replying to).
That's your mistake.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.

I have installed thousands of latex tubes in the past 30 years and have never pinched one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
I have installed thousands of latex tubes in the past 30 years and have never pinched one.
That's your mistake.
The OP is not you, and I'm suggesting they do not repeat your mistake of omission.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
The OP is not you, and I'm suggesting they do not repeat your mistake of omission.

You said that my non-use of talcum powder was a mistake.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
No. When you responded that YOU do not use it, I several times wrote it is your mistake to not use it.

I suggested to the OP to use talc when installing new or re-installing a used latex tube.

The OP did not ask if you talc'd your tubes or not.

Why are you flogging this?

Last edited by: philly1x: Dec 28, 23 11:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
No. When you responded that YOU do not use it, I several times wrote it is your mistake to not use it.

I suggested to the OP to use talc when installing new or re-installing a used latex tube.

The OP did not ask if you talc'd your tubes or not.

Why are you flogging this?

It seems like we are speaking different languages.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
philly1x wrote:
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.
That's your mistake.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like to replace mine with tire changes. I've had the tube sticking to the tire and or deformities on the tube that match the inside of the tire/wheel. When you change the tire check out your latex tube, it will probably have some oddities to it. Maybe safe/maybe not but why risk it? Tubes aren't crazy expensive and it's a little reassurance on my race wheels.

I buy Vittoria or Silca tubes from Amazon. 5Ks are great tires too if those are new to you as well.
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a little different question regards the tires.
Just found out, that my Speedmax came from factory with 28 mm tyre in the front and 25 mm at the back. Is something wrong with me that I think it should be the other way round or I don’t know something?
Quote Reply
Re: New tires = new tubes? [LukaszP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How wide are your front and rear rims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thye're both the same, 17 mm inner and 27 mm outer width.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will a 28mm tire fit on the rear?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, both rims are the same, than yes :). And that would be my pick, but I've started to wondering, why bike came with wider tyre in the front.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
LukaszP wrote:
Like I said, both rims are the same, than yes :). And that would be my pick, but I've started to wondering, why bike came with wider tyre in the front.

Does the frame have clearance in the rear to fit a 28mm tire?
Quote Reply

Prev Next