Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New shoes for a fat old fart... suggestions please.
Quote | Reply
Hi folks,

There are a few bucketlist events that I want to complete whilst I'm still able. One of these is the Kepler Challenge - https://keplerchallenge.co.nz/kepler-challenge - 60km offroad. I have about 5 months to get fit enough to complete it. At present, I'm mixing up the climbing fitness with mileage. At present, I'm running 60-70km / intentionally climbing c. 2,000m weekly. That's 40 miles / 6,000 feet (: Coming along OK.

In my mind, I'm still under 30, whereas the body is double that, and I'm about 90Kg / 200lbs. And I tend to pronate.

I was using Hoka Clifton 6's on the road, but they just collapse and make the pronation worse - comfy legs, screwed feet.
I'm trying some soft of crossover shoes - ASICS GT2000 8 Trail which sort the pronation but my legs need to come to terms with non-Hoka life. They're actually useless on the trail too, and you know the added stress on the legs when you can't trust your grip.
Offroad, I'm currently in Innov8 roclite, but... sore feet. Sorer than expected, so looks like the pronation again.

So... giving up on the one shoe fits all approach.

I'm looking for suggestions on a road shoe that feels like the cliftons, but can handle a fat pronator, and also off-road shoes for the same -

Cheers,

Steve
Quote Reply
Re: New shoes for a fat old fart... suggestions please. [sholdowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might try the Asics Trabuco, Nike Pegasus trail 2 (this shoe feels really good under foot), Nike Wildhorse, Saucony xodus, Saucony Guide trail (more of a tweener shoe), Hoke speedgoat or stinson

hope that helps get you started

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: New shoes for a fat old fart... suggestions please. [sholdowa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Short answer: I suggest the Asics GlideRide for the road.

For my long runs on the road, I have the Hoka Clifton 6 and the Asics GlideRide. I'm thinking the GlideRide's might work for you.

For reference: I'm younger (early 50's), lighter (75kg), over pronate, but not excessively. Ran 80kms last week (my biggest ever mileage).

I love the Cliftons and don't pull up sore (whereas I do in some of my other shoes). But then again my longest run in the last 4 months (since the Pandemic) has been 20km.

The Asics GlideRide has a similar amount of cushion, but not as soft. Also the outsole is far stiffer. I think it would protect you better from the pronation problem.

Other differences with GlideRide is that the MetaRocker is a lot more pronounced. So much, they feel weird to walk in. I found the MetaRocker didn't work so well when forefoot striking, but felt great when I moved back to a mid foot strike (would be perfect for heel strikers). Also I didn't like the GlideRides on trails, whereas the Cliftons were fine on the trails.

I don't have a recommendation for Trail Runners. I have the Inov8 Terraclaw 220, Inov8 Race Ultra 270 and Saucony Mad River TR. Not sure if any of these would help you, maybe the Mad River that has fairly firm cushioning (where the Inov8's are both low stack - very little cushion).
Quote Reply