Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023
Quote | Reply
There must be some other folks out there with carbon wheels for rim brakes who might be in the market for a new tri bike in 2023 or 2024. Rim brakes are just fine for me, don’t feel any need to move to disc brakes. Who still makes new rim brake Tri bikes? Seems Canyon, Trek, S-works, and Quintana Roo don’t sell new tri bikes with rim brakes anymore?
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [tedtri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant, Felt.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriRig
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dimond Mogul and the Marquise can still be ordered with a rim brake option.
Last edited by: Mugen_EP: Aug 8, 23 21:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the cost of mainstream superbike framesets these days, you can also consider a custom bike for not much more. Take a look at the Wittson Ventu, for example.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ribble make a frameset that is rim brake but their full bike is disc. Dan Bigham rode one so the theory was they were quick bikes! Custom paint available too 😎
https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/...e-ultra-tt-frameset/
Last edited by: Lankysprinter: Aug 8, 23 23:38
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [jwmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwmott wrote:
Giant, Felt.

That Giant Trinity pro bike is a pretty good deal.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can still pick up new Canyons with rim brakes, also seen some BMC Timemachines and Bianchi Aquila
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where do you see TT Canyons with rim brakes? Can't find any on their site.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Argon18 E-117. Great bargain...

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [GaryGeiger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. I bought the last Medium E-117 available from Argon in Canada about 18 months ago. I would like to have a backup frame, as I have zero interest in disc brakes. Do you know if anyone has availability? I love the frame. I had a P4 previously, which was fast and comfortable, but this is significantly stiffer and better designed. It should be durable, but one never knows. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve looked at that one before. I happen to be a big fan of titanium and that is a beautiful bike.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
Where do you see TT Canyons with rim brakes? Can't find any on their site.
Ian exaggerated slightly with his statement, like if it was a norm. They appear sometimes in the Outlet.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [Michal_CH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exaggeration is a strong word, but you are probably right :D

There were 2 models last week when I was looking, and today they are gone and the outlet is full of Arkea Samsic team bikes, which may or may not float the Op's boat.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [ianmo80] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Think those Arkea ex team Speedmax are Europe only, and massively overpriced.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [irondave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have done the same thing. Have a 2019 rim brake model. Bike is just absolutely perfect for everything I need it for and I am not interested in upgrading to disc brakes on a TT bike as I still have too many rim brake carbon wheels.

As others have said, the Giant Trinity is as the end of the day the current Kona champion and a great deal if you can make it fit.
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [Engner66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I looked into this 6 months or so ago and was unable to actually find & purchase one (after chasing all of the brands listed above). Ended up selling my old rim brake TT bike and all the extras and going disc. It actually didn’t cost me all that much to bridge the gap. That said, hope you have better luck—please keep us posted!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
irondave wrote:
I agree. I bought the last Medium E-117 available from Argon in Canada about 18 months ago. I would like to have a backup frame, as I have zero interest in disc brakes. Do you know if anyone has availability? I love the frame. I had a P4 previously, which was fast and comfortable, but this is significantly stiffer and better designed. It should be durable, but one never knows. Thanks

I agree as I'm still on rim and they are fine, fast, light and low maintenance. I'm under the impression that Argon is continuing the E-117 rim bike as that's the last we heard at the shop I'm at. You may find what you need here: https://playtristore.com/...pf_v_brands=Argon+18 and contact them directly if you can find it there as they may have some in the pipeline.

I hear things are opening up a bit and we expect more Tri bikes to be coming soon as they were on the back burner while road and gravel took preference among manufacturers. I will agree that it's a great bike and a real bargain that offers a lot of fit range. Let me know if I can help any more.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Re: New rim brake Tri bikes in 2023 [AGTC1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you don't mind me asking, which bike did you purchase? I did the last built for under $CAD 6,000 (ultegra di2, assioma powermeter pedals, tubeless carbon disc and deep disc, tri rig alpha one). A new equivalent built would cost me at least $CAD 10k.

Probably wishful thinking, but I figure that unless I crash the above bike, it should last me enough for electronic disc brake groupsets to come down in price a bit and being able to make a good build at a reasonable price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I clicked all the way through on the link you included, found availability on the medium and then noticed it says disc brake! I got all excited for a moment. Like I said, when I went in to the shop in Calgary, they didn't have any stock, contacted Argon 18 out of Montreal(the Canadian distributor) and I remember them saying mine was the last rim brake E-117 they had in stock. This was about 18 months ago. Maybe there is a retail store out there that still has inventory. I haven't really looked yet. I am hoping to have the extra $2,400(taxes in) in the next month to be able to make the purchase. At that time I will just need to locate one. Also to be precise I am not looking for any components, just the frame.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see what I can find. Size medium, right?

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes please. Thank you. No rush. Like I said I will have the cash in about a month.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see what I can find out. I'm sure we'll have more on the way.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. Here is the link for their Canadian website. https://www.argon18.com/...a/bikes/triathlon-tt
As you can see, only disc brake offering. I am glad this question came up, and that you are able to provide an option that is rim. I love the frame. It is rock solid, aero, comfortable and reasonably priced. If anyone else is still looking for a great rim bike purchase, you Gary are the go to guy. Thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got the E-119 rim and it is amazing. The 117 has been great too. I'll look at our stock tomorrow.

Kiwami Racing Team
Quote Reply

Prev Next