Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New research on antioxidants....
Quote | Reply
Endurance exercise results in DNA damage as detected by the comet assay.

Mastaloudis A, Yu TW, O'Donnell RP, Frei B, Dashwood RH, Traber MG.

Linus Pauling Institute, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR 97331, USA. mastaloa@onid.orst.edu

To determine if 6 weeks of supplementation with antioxidants could alleviate exercise-induced DNA damage, we studied 21 runners during a 50 km ultramarathon. Subjects were randomly assigned to one of two groups: (1) placebos (PL) or (2) antioxidants (AO) (1000 mg vitamin C and 400 IU RRR-alpha-tocopheryl acetate). The comet assay was used to assess DNA damage in circulating leukocytes at selected time points: pre-, mid-, and 2 h postrace and daily for 6 days postrace. All subjects completed the race: run time 7.1 +/- 0.1 h, energy expenditure 5008 +/- 80 kcal for women (n = 10) and 6932 +/- 206 kcal for men (n = 11). Overall, the percentage DNA damage increased at midrace (p <.02), but returned to baseline by 2 h postrace, indicating that the exercise bout induced nonpersistent DNA damage. There was a gender x treatment x time interaction (p <.01). One day postrace, women taking AO had 62% less DNA damage than women taking PL (p <.0008). In contrast, there were no statistically significant differences between the two treatment groups of men at any time point. Thus, endurance exercise resulted in DNA damage as shown by the comet assay and Antioxidants seemed to enhance recovery in women but not in men.

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: New research on antioxidants.... [KimBrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is "DNA damage"? Like where my kids will have four eyes instead of three like the rest of us?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
" Antioxidants seemed to enhance recovery in women but not in men. "

Another "advantage" of testosterone no doubt.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have a link for this research?

Thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply
Re: New research on antioxidants.... [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note that this is just one study. In most metanalysis antioxidants help in both genders.

I would contact the authors for more information...they may have the full manuscript available for viewing: mastaloa@onid.orst.edu

I was forwarded the thesis by a group of doctors who are looking at the potential damaging effects of endurance training on our hearts.

Healthy regards,

Kim Brown, MS, RD

Sports Nutritionist

Kim Mueller, MS, RD
Sports Nutritionist
http://www.kbnutrition.com
Quote Reply
Re: New research on antioxidants.... [callidus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want I can email you a pdf

Can you please explain what "DNA damage" really means?
Quote Reply
Re: New research on antioxidants.... [Jason D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Drug- or radiation-induced injuries in DNA that introduce deviations from its normal double-helical conformation. These changes include structural distortions which interfere with replication and transcription, as well as point mutations which disrupt base pairs and exert damaging effects on future generations through changes in DNA sequence. If the damage is minor, it can often be repaired (DNA REPAIR). If the damage is extensive, it can induce apoptosis. "

http://ghr.nlm.nih.gov/ghr/glossary/dnadamage

Thanks for the definition. So how would DNA damage from endurance exercise be different from the definition of drug or radiation induced DNA damage or is it the same?
Quote Reply
Re: New research on antioxidants.... [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I guess we'll know if there's a problem with prolonged endurance exercise if Dave Scott and all those original triathletes start dropping dead of heart attacks and such here in a few years ;-)

What about studies done on Tarahumara indians (the ultra-distance runners from Mexico)? And long-term research on them? Do they have mortality rates higher than what would be expected? And have they controlled for environmental factors such as air pollution and the like?

I know that the initial conclusion is that endurance exercise might be connected to DNA damage, but I'd need to read the whole study and the peer review before I go telling people that prolonged exercise can damage their DNA :-) Not that I'm saying anyone is doing that yet.

Tony
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
<<If the damage is minor, it can often be repaired (DNA REPAIR). If the damage is extensive, it can induce apoptosis. >>

I guess all that LSD I took in the late 60's is causing my apotosis?

sp

don't just do something..... sit there
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone how the comet assay detects "DNA damage"? Can it differentiate between DNA damage in intact cells versus DNA fragments created secondary to cell death or damage?

It seems strange that the assay shows peak damage midrace and no damage at the end of the race then damage again one day later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Assuming the exercise-induced DNA damage is due primarlity to free radicals, it could cause similar types of damage (base modifications, strand breaks) that radiation and some drugs do.

Never done this assay but I understand it's pretty common. I think it would be pretty easy to differentiate DNA damage in a mostly intact nucleus (ie the nucleus is the comet, damaged DNA is the tail) from smaller fragments from late apopotic/necrotic cells.

edit: the only increase in damage came midrace - there were no further increases after that, although in the anti-oxidant women the amount of DNA damage appeared to decrease below baseline after the race.

Last edited by: jhc: Nov 16, 04 10:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a finance guy so this stuff is a bit over my head. The real question - are these IMs and similiar distance events causing damage we should be concerned about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think that this type of DNA damage should worry us too much. The body is bombarded with all types of potential damagers to DNA everyday (UV light, cigarette smoke, some foods etc.) and has a pretty good system for minimizing damage to and repairing DNA. I think a bigger concern would be folks not wearing sun screen. I'm pretty sure you're more likely to die of skin cancer than cancer caused by exercise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The answer is yes and no. Yes, they do cause damage, but no you don't have to worry because your body DOES repair itself. But in the case of women, they would have to take antioxidants to match the rate of repair that men experience. And yes, the men's faster recovery is probably related to testosterone. *grumble*

Re: New research on antioxidants.... [CrashingGirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the explanation in plain terms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But testosterone can lead to baldness and irrational, aggressive thinking...

Humor a newbie - is that Mr. Tibbs? I'm still trying to figure him out (as I see just about everyone is).

Quote | Reply
Yep...

Hey jhc, could you please send the PDF to tomgallag@hotmail.com. Thanks.

tom

------------------------------------------------------------
Searching for the bliss of ultimate exertion.
Quote Reply