Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New carbon clincher idea?
Quote | Reply
Chatting with cane creek the other day. Didn't mention anything specific and I kind of let it slide without further questioning, but mentioned a new carbon clincher wheel with some sort of a carbon wrap over an alu rim. anyone heard anything similar?

on a side note, anyone have anything to recc. for a clincher wheel. aero is a must, lightweight would be great. looking at spinergy stealth carbon. anyone ever crashed a pair? i don't like have to rebuild wheels all the time, thus something not with zipp rims would be nice. would even glue tires for a light but crashable wheel. carbones would be nice, but the weight scares me a little as I would like them for climbing as well.

thanks

jared
Quote Reply
Re: New carbon clincher idea? [trijunior] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How about the Reynolds wheels?

They are used by tons of road and crit racers, seems like if they are durable enough for that they'd be great for tri. White industries hubs are plenty tough. i saw the Health net team riding the carbon clinchers and the tubied this season.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wheel you want doesn't exist.

Frankly, if you take care of a wheel...it will last as long as you care to own it. I have many friends still riding their original Zipps. Check out any transition area and you'll still find tons of Hed CX wheels.

On the other hand, I do know plenty of people who've crashed and trashed their aero wheels...but you know what??? They would have trashed most wheels in those crashes.

I've been cycling for over 20 years now and I've never had to rebuild a wheel. I've raced USCF up to Cat 3, multisports, and done heavy load touring. I think I can count on less than two hands the number of times I've even had to have a set of wheels trued. Oh...and my nickname is Crash...so its not like I've been a pansy either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
corima makes a carbon clincher aero wheel(All carbon no alloy). Not sure about durability, since I only race corima carbon tubular wheels. From what I heard, the work beautifully.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would certainly be able to pump up the pressure higher than on many carbon clinchers.

It is a bit too much in the faux carbon realm for me, thank you very much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Reynolds makes a slightly heavier deep all-carbon rim than their uber light model. it is available in a clincher ($400 more) or tubular. i think the tubular version is lighter than a 404, even though it is the "heavy" model... something like 1200g or so. anyway, people ride cyclocross on the heavy model, so it must be able to take some abuse.

The Dude abides.
Quote Reply
Re: New carbon clincher idea? [bunnyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Faux sounds good. I can't imagine it would be lighter, but who knows. The reynolds and the zipp pave rims look quite promising. i guess carbon still has a little way to go.

Crash: Zipps are great no question, but my biggest race this year is a 200 rider 6 stage race. seeing guys start stages with zipps and end on neutral support was funny. I need something to get me through 6 days. another ++ for clinchers.

thanks for all the ideas
Quote Reply