Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New bike saga - bad bike shop, great Cervelo
Quote | Reply

Hopefully this is not one of those posts that should never have been written. If so, please tell me, or Dan please pull it. I've given this quite a bit of thought and I believe it should be said despite my general rule about never saying negative things about someone.

After doing the usual new bike agonizing and research I decided (tentatively depending on fit) on a Cervelo P2k. The Cervelo web site lists 3 dealers in the state of TX. Austin is closest to me (3.5 hrs one way) so I called the shop, Austin TriCyclist. I spoke with the owner Don last Monday. He said he had just received 2 58cm P2ks. I told him I would be coming from out of town on either Fri. or Sat. and that it was my intention to leave with a bike, almost definitely the Cervelo but I was open to a few other bikes. I called and spoke to the owner again on Wed. I told him that I would be there around 1 PM on Friday to get the P2k. I asked if he still had them. He said yes, he had 2 58cm P2k. So I took the day off work and drove to Austin. I found the shop and pulled in around 1 PM. I introduced myself and asked to see the P2k. He said he didn't have any. After some questioning, it turns out that on Mon. he didn't have any and that on Wed. he didn't have any. Both times I called I made it clear that I was driving in from out of town. Both times I made it clear that I was not coming to look, but was planning on buying a bike. Both times he told me that everything was set, the bike were built and ready to go. There was no apology for lying to me multiple times, no explanation. He only said he was more upset than I was because he lost a sale! Then he wanted to show me several other bikes, all of which did not meet the specifications that I had already told him about.

I'm sure that there are other people out there with good experiences at Austin Tricyclist, frankly I don't care. In trying to figure out why he would lie to me, I can only assume that he hoped to get a bike in time to sell one to me. If he had just told me, I would have waited until one came in. There is just no excuse for it, and as a result he has lost my business forever. I have heard that Cervelo is careful about who sells their bikes. I know from this forum and from listening to others that Cervelo has great service and I wanted to call their attention to this one experience. Hopefully this is just a single bad experience out of many good experiences with this tri shop.

Now the good part. I eventually did get my new Cervelo. The P2k is a great bike. It is well made, stiff, light and most important it fits and is extremely comfortable. I was only able to put in a 50 mile ride this weekend, but so far it is a wonderful bike. It compares favorably with every other bike I've tried, some even at double the price.
Last edited by: tom: Apr 22, 03 7:06
Quote Reply
Re: New bike saga with Bike Shop (rant warning) [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I think your story is appropriate, but I think your title is deceiving. It makes it sound like we are going to read a post about Cervelo problems - I was ready to defend:-)

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike saga with Cervelo (rant warning) [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i have no problem with you writing this post. the bait and switch is super cheesy and dishonest. since i also live in texas i'll keep in mind what you have told me. thanks.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike saga with Cervelo (rant warning) [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As others have posted this is not a Cervelo problem this is a Problem with a bike dealer who sells Cervelo's.

I will get hammered for what I am about to say. But, first let me say that there are some great bike dealers out there. There really are, and they are a trule salvation when they are found. I don't know Tom Demerly personally, but I suspect he is one of these exceptional bike dealers. Now on to the unfortunate part, there are bike dealers out there who are extraordinarily un-professional. What percentage they are, I have no idea, but they certainly creat some major problems for the industry as a whole.

Having worked directly and indirectly in the bike business for a number of years I often heard it said that the biggest problem in the business and the biggest barrier to success of the bike business, was the bike shops. On one side you have manufacturers making very good and reasonably sophisticated product. On the other side you have consumers with money in their pocket ready to buy, or at least waiting to be helped to buy that product. In the middle, you have bike dealers who a) have no idea how to buy that product from the manufactueres and b) no idea how to or market and sell that product to those customers in a professiuonal and proper manner.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: poor subject line [david] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are absolutely correct, I edited the subject. The Cervelo P2k is a great bike at a great price. The behavior of the bike shop is indefensible and inexcusable.

I eventually bought the bike from Richardson Bike Mart near Dallas. Evidently, they had the only P2k for sale last weekend in the entire state. They seem like a fine shop, I really wasnt there long enough to give an accurate report. However, they did not strike me as being particularly knowledgeable about tri fitting.
Quote Reply
Re: poor subject line [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
richardson bike mart is a great road and mountain shop. it is the shop that got lance into cycling. they have a great selection and have a deep knowledge of how to fit a traditional road or mountain rider. they are trained to size by serrotta, merlin and seven as far as i can tell. the selection of tri bikes is great for the area. they are kinda weak on tri sizing but are a fantastic bunch of people and i believe in a matter of time will have the tri part of the buisness down cold. maybe dan should give them a call and hard sale his fist classes.

i like them the best though because they let me browse knowing i have no money. they just let me walk around and answer my questions. true pros.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Re: agreed [ultra-poser] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You are spot on with your assessment of Richardson Bike Mart. They remind me of Bike Barn in Houston. Great bunch of people, very friendly, very knowledgeable about road bike setup but without much tri experience.

Dan definitely needs to give them a call. I would drive the 4 hours to get to them if they were a tri shop with FIST certification, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: poor subject line [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Joe Howard at the Richardson Bike Mart on Garland Rd. in Dallas (its the "other" RBM location by White Rock Lake), for most of my tri/cycling needs. He fit me in a custom Seven titanium frame in tri-specific geometry a year or so ago. I think he did a fantastic job. The other posts here seem accurate, though. Even though Joe is a former triathlete (he's got pictures of himself posing with Lance after the awards ceremony at the Presidents Triathlon from 1985(?) or so), I didn't get the feeling that tri bike fitting was his top priority, although he's certainly competent. I'm 100% satisfied with my results there. I ride at Whiterock several times a week, so I stop in there fairly frequently and browse through the bikes. They always seem to have a handful of P2ks & P3s for sale. On the other hand, their tri bike inventory doesn't turn over very quickly.

FWIW
Quote Reply
Re: New bike saga - bad bike shop, great Cervelo [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what in the world did the guy think he was trying to pull? was he really expecting that a customer wouldn't mind being lied to like that? Talk about not respecting your customers...

If I had to take a day off from work, drive 3.5 hours each way - I absolutely hate sitting in a car for that long, I'd be livid. To flat out lie like that, wtf?!? Gets me upset just hearing about it, don't know what I'd do if that happened to me.
Quote Reply
Re: New bike saga - bad bike shop, great Cervelo [carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got to suspect that there was some misunderstanding.

Don and his wife Melissa are stand-up people, and are well respected in the tri community. I have done business with them for a couple of years and have found them to be very helpful and courteous. I live three hours away too, and I have no problem driving that distance for their services. (As a matter of fact I did this weekend, getting some gear for my kids in preparation for the beginning of their triathlon season.) They have gone out of their way to get accessories or other gear for my daughter who races in the IronKids triathlon series around the country, and mail them to us so that she has them before the races. Theirs is probably also the only true "tri-shop" in Texas, and Don and Missy are elite triathletes as well, so they know what they sell.

Give them another chance.

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply