Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New age group cat - my whinging bitch time.
Quote | Reply
Ok I feel like being a whinging bi-yatch so here goes...this is light hearted but intended to raise discussion.

As most of you know, it's extremely hard fititng in full time work and training for IM. Even harder training sufficiently enough to become good enough to challenge for a Kona spot. What makes it harder is that we have to compete against people that for various reasons have much more time in the day to train and therefore much greater potential to grab a spot. I envy these people who must have such great paying jobs that they can afford not to work full time, but it's not going to happen to me any time soon. So if I can't beat them, kick them out into a different category. How about only those that work full time are able to race a/g (bar over 55's). THey can create a new part time cat with perhaps two age groups...part time under 25 and part time over 25's. THen it levels the playing field in other groups. However should I find a brilliant job that enables me to work part time then ignore the above!

Another thing that amazes me is how quickly your IM races sell out in north america. WHy don't you introduce qualifying races for the IM's? Like through a series of HI's. IMOz does this with Forster. Maybe those that want to do an IM length race can do so via the non-sanctioned races? It wouldn't matter to them I would think cause if they cannot qualify for the local IM they would not have been good enough to go to Kona anyway (which I see as the only reason for doing sanctioned races). Just seems like a real frustrating time for you guys to have to cram phone lines (or however you enter) for two days just to get in.
Quote Reply
Re: New age group cat - my whinging bitch time. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or you guys could give up spending large sums of money trying to win your over crowded age group, and instead purchase me state-of-the-art equipment so I could rule mine.
Just a thought.
In all seriouness, some of the fastest "mature" age groupers I know don't make all that much "Bling, Bling." They just have there priorities.
Quote Reply
Re: New age group cat - my whinging bitch time. [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is like saying that if i had enough time i could play in the NBA or the NFL. It takes a lot of things to get to Kona, time is one of them, but there are more important things, determination, time management, genetics (yeah, we all hate to hear that one).

I once heard a story, be it a fairytale or not (and by the time i butcher it it might become a fairytale), of an old pro become coach living the mountains in italy.
Folks would always seek him out for coaching. They would all tell him that with enough time they could be great cyclists. He would refuse everyone but the guys who were working tons had families and a million other commitments, and were still great amatuer cyclists. You see this coach knew that it is not time that makes an athlete great, but the intense desire to be great, despite the challanges, not without them.

-Erik

"I don't half-ass anything. For me its either whole-ass or nothing." -elake
Quote Reply