Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

i don't suffer from the lack of that underlying data you ask for. i don't feel i need that data to understand what zipp is trying to express with these graphs. however, i respect your view and honor your background in this, so i don't mean to minimize your desire to see the data not supplied.

as to the rolling road, i might misremember but i think this is the second time "lack of transparency" has been used as a descriptor in this thread and, again, unless i misremember you've been the user both times. to me, this connotes and intentional act to withhold data. i gave you the protocol. rider aboard, 85 kilos rider + bike, roll up to speed for 30sec, the test runs for 90sec, rider dismounts. there were 96 total runs. there were 24 set ups tested (a given wheel with a given tire width at a given pressure). to me, dividing 96 by 24, that means they performed 4 runs per set up. zipp says the rolling road is a "standard" to use their word road surface, analogous to their eagle creek field testing circuit.

if what you want is a picture of the rolling road, i'm pretty sure one could be provided. do you want the speed of the rolling road? the speed of each test? i'll ask. but i don't see the lack of transparency you see. perhaps you could tell me what it is you don't see and i'll see if i can get it for you. just, if you're going to ask for data beyond that which is typically given by drum testers, such as you or al or BRR, then i have to cry foul. sauce for the goose and all that.

Yes, I recall your description of the number of runs above...but, what's missing is some sort of description of the equipment used and how the method was "validated". Here's a short list of things off the top of my head that could be helpful:
  • How was power measured? What's the accuracy and precision of the equipment? Is the power measurement inclusive of drivetrain losses? If not, how is that handled (i.e. is gear selection fixed? Something else?)
  • How well does the method detect a "known" change in Crr (i.e. the "Tom Compton Challenge"), such as what happens when mass is added to the setup? Does the Crr change in the expected way? What's the smallest change detectable reliably?
  • What's the surface roughness which the test setup is attempting to duplicate? How well does it mimic that "specification"? (This is where the PSD data referenced earlier would come in handy to evaluate how well the test setup duplicates the intended surface).
  • Was the same rider and bike used for all tests? If not, how do we know their "damping" is similar (for pressures above breakpoint)?
  • How does the data compare (numerically) to what is found using simple roller tests and field tests? If it differs, then how...and what are the possible sources of the differences?
  • How tightly is ambient temperature controlled in the test location? If it's not, is the temperature compensated for in the results (due to the somewhat important temperature effects of Crr)?

I believe all of the above have been reported and investigated for both roller and field test methodologies. I understand the desire of the Zipp Engineers to use their "rolling road" as a proxy for field testing. It eliminates translational aero drag AND puts to rest any arguments against validity from people who don't understand the "equivalence" of rollers to flat surfaces...in other words, it's slightly more "real world" for some consumers. That said, it is going to have it's own quirks, and being able to understand those quirks is the way we can put their results in context. It's just like understanding that roller testing (when done carefully) is extremely good for evaluating tire hysteresis properties (and thus Crr) for pressures below the "breakpoint" of the system. Again, it's all about context.

edit: I thought of one more (very important IMHO) piece of info on the treadmill:
  • What is the thickness and material of the moving belt, and how is it supported? How does that compare to an actual road surface in terms of compliance and damping?
As mentioned above with the Bigham track discussion, surface compliance matters in these sorts of things. If the "rolling road" adds compliance and damping into the system, the results can be different than "real world".

i'm not going to bother zipp with this. i'm just going to answer it and if i'm wrong zipp can correct me when they read it.

the power was measured using a quarq power meter on the bike of the sole person on the only bike used for all 96 runs. accuracy? it's the accuracy of a quarq power meter. there's at least a half-dozen ways i can think of, off top of my head, for dropping the 90-second captures into data analysis. gear selection was fixed, because speed was constant for all runs. drivetrain losses are not material to because the actual power is not relevant (who cares how much power it takes a given rider to ride his bike at 20mph on a rolling road?) the only thing that's relevant is the delta in power between the set-ups.

the surface roughness has been asked and answered at least 3 times in this thread. what is relevant, that i don't know - also mentioned at some length in this thread - is the vibration in the entire system which could - just using my intuition - add to the "roughness" of the road. i think this is worth investigating.

was the same rider used for all the tests? yes. as i pointed out in posts twice above. how does the data differ from field tests? the data, per zipp, syncs well with their fields tests, which they perform at eagle creek park, on a circuit, and which i stated at least twice, both in this thread and i believe in the article on the front page.

how tightly is the ambient temp controlled in the test location? again, just my intuition, but in the 25,000 square foot factory where i built my bikes i hit on the idea of setting the thermostat on my HVAC. this has not been mentioned, explicitly, so for those who have this question: zipp's rolling road is inside its building, not outside.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
marcag wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Hoo boy...I go out for a ride on a Sunday morning and all confusion breaks out... ;-)

Sorry. My fault :-)

Nope...you weren't the only one confused by those plots and their presentation. Not our fault...

what's confusing you? perhaps i can help. i have questions, for sure. but none of these charts have me confused.

I guess I wasn't clear enough above. The most confusing (or, perhaps, a better term would be "least enlightening") graphs are the delta plots, with no explanation of the baseline at each data point. It would be REALLY easy for them to show the baseline curve, and the rest of the curves for that matter, and THEN show the delta plot. The delta plot is really just a refinement of the data presentation. Without the original data, it's tough to put into context...especially if it shows (as these plots seem to indicate) unexpected behavior based on previous data/knowledge/modeling.

edit to add: Secondly, is the lack of details and transparency in the rolling road setup and protocol. IF they're using that data to point to these products somehow behaving differently than others do, then I think additional scrutiny of that methodology is warranted. Especially if the data from that methodology somehow doesn't match well with previously established methods.

It just seems like a bunch of hand waving right now...reminds me of the "old days" of wheel claims, actually ("It's faster...trust us!")

i don't suffer from the lack of that underlying data you ask for. i don't feel i need that data to understand what zipp is trying to express with these graphs. however, i respect your view and honor your background in this, so i don't mean to minimize your desire to see the data not supplied.

as to the rolling road, i might misremember but i think this is the second time "lack of transparency" has been used as a descriptor in this thread and, again, unless i misremember you've been the user both times. to me, this connotes and intentional act to withhold data. i gave you the protocol. rider aboard, 85 kilos rider + bike, roll up to speed for 30sec, the test runs for 90sec, rider dismounts. there were 96 total runs. there were 24 set ups tested (a given wheel with a given tire width at a given pressure). to me, dividing 96 by 24, that means they performed 4 runs per set up. zipp says the rolling road is a "standard" to use their word road surface, analogous to their eagle creek field testing circuit.

if what you want is a picture of the rolling road, i'm pretty sure one could be provided. do you want the speed of the rolling road? the speed of each test? i'll ask. but i don't see the lack of transparency you see. perhaps you could tell me what it is you don't see and i'll see if i can get it for you. just, if you're going to ask for data beyond that which is typically given by drum testers, such as you or al or BRR, then i have to cry foul. sauce for the goose and all that.

I think the issue is exactly that there isn't enough transparency with this testing. All the claims they are trying to make are that their rolling road is a good simulation of real world with no data to back it up or even details on what type of road surface is being simulated especially as road surfaces are super variable.

Along the same note people even don't believe wind tunnel test and that's very well established with decades of validation and everyone is well aware of the assumptions and limitations involved in wind tunnel testing. Asking other engineers to believe an entirely novel setup without any validation or even pictures/description of the setup shown to them is going to be an uphill struggle. Listing out the number of runs, rider weights, how long they road for before testing isn't really useful in my opinion. That's small peanuts and is taken as a given that those things are controlled. The real important questions are as mentioned before behind the actual rolling road setup. As if that doens't simulate road riding or the representative surfaces I or others ride on, the results won't be meaningful no matter how much control there is of test setup. I want to believe that it simulates actual roads well, but having experience building test apparatus to simulate real life events, I know how difficult that is.

This is part of the reason the track "data point" I mentioned is so impactful to me. We know the test apratrus is good (the track), the main source of error (the rider) likely well controlled due to rider skill, and the test setup is likely good. Plus this is on very smooth surfaces which is a regime with sparse low pressure data. If much lower pressures are good on smooth surfaces, then it's a given that they will be good on rougher surfaces. Instead most of the testing thus far has been on quite rough surfaces which makes me believe that the benefits aren't there on smoother surfaces, and that this testing (if it is an accurate simulation of road riding) represents rougher surfaces to show a larger benefit.

Echoing what Tom said I'd like to know the following about the rolling road testing and will likely have more follow on questions once I see a diagram of the rolling road setup and a picture/cross-section of the surface. However I'll assume the Zipp engineers have the normal environmental, sensor setup, and sample preparation variables well under control.
  • Do you have a diagram of the surface of the rolling road setup?
  • How is each section/plank of the rolling road supported when rotating through the treadmill/how large is each section?
  • What does the transition between sections/planks of the rolling road look like?
  • Do you see periodic events correlating to the load/unloading of a new section/plank or the transition between sections?
  • How is the micro/macrotexture on each section/plank of the rolling road applied?
  • What surfaces are you trying to simulate?
  • Do you have PSD's between the rolling road and the surfaces you are trying to simulate?

no. i don't have a diagram. it was my assumption that the rolling road zipp owns is the same that was manufactured by the folks who make the inside ride rollers. it's a big, expensive, manufactured product. it's a known product, though i haven't seen it sold in quite a few years. if having a picture of the rolling road would help you, i'm happy to ask zipp for one. but is this going to help you? because, if you've already made up your mind i'm not going to waste my time. please advise.

as with tom's questions - which i answered - i'll answer your question again even though i've answered it several times here in this thread. the "surface" zipp is "trying to simulate" is what zipp calls "standard" road. what you would see on a typical asphalt, average asphalt road, and zipp considers the queen k hwy on the big island "standard."

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [HTupolev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HTupolev wrote:
Slowman wrote:
delta force, delta drag, delta power. i don't know why you don't know what this means, unless i didn't explain it well enough in the article (which might be the case). it's the difference between the performance of prior wheels zipp made and these new wheels they replace.

I know what it means philosophically. I don't know how the charts are trying to represent it.

For instance, if the "delta" is the difference from the old wheel, then why does the first chart have values for the old wheel that aren't at zero on the y-axis? Shouldn't it be at zero difference from itself? The second chart does have the old wheel at zero, does this mean that the first chart is referenced to the 808 data? But even then, the 808 data doesn't cover the entire portion of the x-axis used by the other wheels, so what is the new-wheel data at those pressures in reference to?

Quote:
as i understand it, you're asking for the underlying data from the prior wheels

I'm asking how the charts show the change from that underlying data to the new wheels.

the aero testing charts are as you say they should be. the "old" wheel sits at zero in the Y axis. there is 100 percent consistency on how all the charts are presented on data gained from the wind tunnel.

the Crr charts are presented differently. i am not bothered by the difference in how these charts are presented. i understand why the Y axis is not zeroed. i don't find this cumbersome. i don't find this data hard to read or parse. i don't know what to tell you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is this in the running for the Nerdiest Thread in ST History?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [jcbesse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jcbesse wrote:
I would be quite easy for them to just show a picture of the 'rolling road' you'd think?

The do on their website

https://www.sram.com/en/life/stories/life-on-the-rollingroad

https://www.sram.com/en/zipp/campaigns/total-system-efficiency

Last edited by: mgreer: Aug 22, 22 13:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

the power was measured using a quarq power meter on the bike of the sole person on the only bike used for all 96 runs. accuracy? it's the accuracy of a quarq power meter.

OK then...and myself having had quite a long term experience with Quarq PMs (I was a beta tester for them at one time, after all), I also know that the data quality is only as good as the care is taken during their use. It's imperative that the torque slope is checked (and adjusted, if possible) and to "zero early, and zero often" ;-)

Slowman wrote:
because speed was constant for all runs. drivetrain losses are not material to because the actual power is not relevant (who cares how much power it takes a given rider to ride his bike at 20mph on a rolling road?) the only thing that's relevant is the delta in power between the set-ups.

...unless drivetrain losses are changing across the runs, that is. Are we SURE gear selection was the same? You appear to assume it was because the speed was fixed, but is that the case? I don't know...there's no data showing one way or the other.

Additionally, how "fixed" was the speed, i.e. what's the +/- on the speed setting? Did they calculate Crr for each run (which would cancel out speed and power variation), or just compare watts? In other words, if you want to compare "delta power", you need to compare on an apples to apples basis. For roller testing, I don't try to tightly control the speed (in fact, I try to control cadence for a given gear combo), but then I use the speed, power, wheel load, and ambient temperature to calculate the equivalent Crr on the flat at 20C ambient. THAT is what gets compared, not the raw test values. That's the thing, if you have a good model, you don't necessarily need to control all the variables, just record their values and use the model.

Slowman wrote:
the surface roughness has been asked and answered at least 3 times in this thread. what is relevant, that i don't know - also mentioned at some length in this thread - is the vibration in the entire system which could - just using my intuition - add to the "roughness" of the road. i think this is worth investigating.

Right...and it's been asked for good reason. You say they claim it's comparable...we're all asking "how comparable?" My intuition is telling me that based on the results, there may be some additional compliance and/or damping introduced in the running surface that's different than typical pavement. That's one way that continually lower pressures would lead to lower power requirements on surfaces consistent with typical pavement roughness.

Slowman wrote:
was the same rider used for all the tests? yes. as i pointed out in posts twice above. how does the data differ from field tests? the data, per zipp, syncs well with their fields tests, which they perform at eagle creek park, on a circuit, and which i stated at least twice, both in this thread and i believe in the article on the front page.

Right...they say it "syncs well", and yet you said they aren't willing to reveal that data for some reason. It really should be the "golden data set", no?

Slowman wrote:
how tightly is the ambient temp controlled in the test location? again, just my intuition, but in the 25,000 square foot factory where i built my bikes i hit on the idea of setting the thermostat on my HVAC. this has not been mentioned, explicitly, so for those who have this question: zipp's rolling road is inside its building, not outside.

Yeah...see, that's the thing...even HVAC systems can have quite a wide range (relatively speaking) of temperature swings throughout a day. I often run long-term thermal tests at my office and detect local temperature swings in particular areas of the office of a few degrees C. That's plenty of temperature change to affect Crr results, especially if one is looking to resolve them to within 1W (as their plots imply). So, if they aren't monitoring the temperature, and/or compensating for the temperature effects on Crr...well, that throws up some red flags to me.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 22, 22 14:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

the power was measured using a quarq power meter on the bike of the sole person on the only bike used for all 96 runs. accuracy? it's the accuracy of a quarq power meter.

OK then...and myself having had quite a long term experience with Quarq PMs (I was a beta tester for them at one time, after all), I also know that the data quality is only as good as the care is taken during their use. It's imperative that the torque slope is checked (and adjusted, if possible) and to "zero early, and zero often" ;-)

Slowman wrote:
because speed was constant for all runs. drivetrain losses are not material to because the actual power is not relevant (who cares how much power it takes a given rider to ride his bike at 20mph on a rolling road?) the only thing that's relevant is the delta in power between the set-ups.

...unless drivetrain losses are changing across the runs, that is. Are we SURE gear selection was the same? You appear to assume it was because the speed was fixed, but is that the case? I don't know...there's no data showing one way or the other.

Additionally, how "fixed" was the speed, i.e. what's the +/- on the speed setting? Did they calculate Crr for each run (which would cancel out speed and power variation), or just compare watts? In other words, if you want to compare "delta power", you need to compare on an apples to apples basis. For roller testing, I don't try to tightly control the speed (in fact, I try to control cadence for a given gear combo), but then I use the speed, power, wheel load, and ambient temperature to calculate the equivalent Crr on the flat at 20C ambient. THAT is what gets compared, not the raw test values. That's the thing, if you have a good model, you don't necessarily need to control all the variables, just record their values and use the model.

Slowman wrote:

Right...and it's been asked for good reason. You say they claim it's comparable...we're all asking "how comparable?" My intuition is telling me that based on the results, there may be some additional compliance and/or damping introduced in the running surface that's different than typical pavement. That's one way that continually lower pressures would lead to lower power requirements on surfaces consistent with typical pavement roughness.

Slowman wrote:

Right...they say it "syncs well", and yet you said they aren't willing to reveal that data for some reason. It really should be the "golden data set", no?

Slowman wrote:

Yeah...see, that's the thing...even HVAC systems can have quite a wide range (relatively speaking) of temperature swings throughout a day. I often run long-term thermal tests at my office and detect local temperature swings in particular areas of the office of a few degrees C. That's plenty of temperature change to affect Crr results, especially if one is looking to resolve them to within 1W (as their plots imply). So, if they aren't monitoring the temperature, and/or compensating for the temperature effects on Crr...well, that throws up some red flags to me.

Quarq PM. it is my assumption that SRAM understands best practices using that PM. same gear throughout. you're right. i don't know for dead sure. but i'd be shocked if this were not the case. same speed throughout. changing the speed on the rolling road would be no different than changing wind speed in the wind tunnel. do we ask those performing wind tunnel tests that question?

the road surface. i agree, the question is asked with good reason. it's a very fair question. no quarrel there. i just would like to know that at some point i won't have to answer this again.

as to the field testing data. they're not ready to publish that yet. they are comfortable, as of now, that the field testing they've done syncs with the rolling road tests. but they're not ready to publish. it is my guess that field testing will become the norm for this brand. but let me tell you my takeaway. the fact that they say the field testing syncs means that there is some degree of validation of their rolling road testing. the fact that they aren't ready to publish their field testing means there's an asterisk on that "sync" statement of theirs. it means we can only attach minimal to moderate faith in that. where you are on minimal to moderate, i wouldn't quarrel with your characterization. once they publish, my faith grows. until they publish, my faith is counterbalanced with doubt. as all faith is. (that's the nature of faith.)

HVAC. i guess i'd need to see how the differences between 71°f air temp and 73.5°f air temp impact the Crr results. i'm not smart enough to know.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

HVAC. i guess i'd need to see how the differences between 71°f air temp and 73.5°f air temp impact the Crr results. i'm not smart enough to know.

A really cool triathlon site has the answer to EVERYTHING

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...D_P7791676/#p7791676
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
as to the field testing data. they're not ready to publish that yet. they are comfortable, as of now, that the field testing they've done syncs with the rolling road tests. but they're not ready to publish. it is my guess that field testing will become the norm for this brand. but let me tell you my takeaway. the fact that they say the field testing syncs means that there is some degree of validation of their rolling road testing. .

I am anxious to see this because so far, the "red lines" don't align to other field testing data, including the results Zipped published from CDA/CRR testing in Kona.

In your article you say

The 25mm tire on that wheel performed better at 65psi than at 75psi or 85psi. This will not sit well with those who live and die by drum testing results, which show exactly the opposite. How does one square this circle? Maybe Zipp’s data is wrong. But we also know that drum testing has a flaw, which is, it cannot tell you when its reliable data becomes unreliable, that is, at which pressure system vibration overwhelms the value of high pressure.

Their own data collected in Kona goes against this for 25mm tires.
Josh's field testing goes against this.
Members on this forum show road data that goes against this.

I have no doubt there is an explanation, I just want to know what it is
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
jcbesse wrote:
I would be quite easy for them to just show a picture of the 'rolling road' you'd think?

The do on their website

Thanks for that...those links led me to David Morse's "white paper" on the subject, that answers a few of the questions asked above (including PSD plots): https://www.sram.com/...s/tse-explained2.pdf

The constantly lessening power requirements with reducing pressure, for even a 28c tire, still is hard for me to fathom...unless the road surface roughness is REALLY bad, and/or the surface has additional compliance/damping than typical pavement...

...or, unless it means that their wider internal widths widen the measured tire widths so far that even 30 psi is above the breakpoint pressure for those tires, speed, and road conditions? I'm not sure if that's exactly a good thing, if that's the case...for a variety of reasons.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 22, 22 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Here is their data for good roads (Kona). Green 28mm, red 25mm, blue 23mm

Last edited by: marcag: Aug 22, 22 14:35
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
jcbesse wrote:

The do on their website

lewis, in that article, was the test rider for all these Crr tests on the new 808/858.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
Quarq PM. it is my assumption that SRAM understands best practices using that PM. same gear throughout. you're right. i don't know for dead sure. but i'd be shocked if this were not the case. same speed throughout.

Well...in the white paper I linked to just above, they state it's run at speeds "up to 20mph", so that's not exactly clear. But again, it doesn't matter if they control the speed tightly IF they measure the speed and combine it with the power and mass to calculate Crr. If they don't do that, then yes, the need to control it tightly, since higher speeds require higher power at the same Crr.

Slowman wrote:
...changing the speed on the rolling road would be no different than changing wind speed in the wind tunnel. do we ask those performing wind tunnel tests that question?

If the wind tunnel reports in drag force, but they don't say at what speed, then we ABSOLUTELY ask for the wind speed. The drag force value has no context. However, if they report in CdA, then test wind speed isn't as necessary (just want to make sure it's in a representative Re number regime). It's the same with my description of watts vs. Crr above.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:

Quarq PM. it is my assumption that SRAM understands best practices using that PM. same gear throughout. you're right. i don't know for dead sure. but i'd be shocked if this were not the case. same speed throughout.

Well...in the white paper I linked to just above, they state it's run at speeds "up to 20mph", so that's not exactly clear. But again, it doesn't matter if they control the speed tightly IF they measure the speed and combine it with the power and mass to calculate Crr. If they don't do that, then yes, the need to control it tightly, since higher speeds require higher power at the same Crr.

Slowman wrote:

...changing the speed on the rolling road would be no different than changing wind speed in the wind tunnel. do we ask those performing wind tunnel tests that question?

If the wind tunnel reports in drag force, but they don't say at what speed, then we ABSOLUTELY ask for the wind speed. The drag force value has no context. However, if they report in CdA, then test wind speed isn't as necessary (just want to make sure it's in a representative Re number regime). It's the same with my description of watts vs. Crr above.

we ask for wind speed because we can translate drag to time or power. we don't ask someone performing a comparative wind tunnel test if they raised or lowered the speed while testing different bikes or wheels. at least i don't. that would be kind of insulting i think. but, if you want me to ask i'll ask.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

Here is their data for good roads (Kona). Green 28mm, red 25mm, blue 23mm

Yeah...that's more of what would be expected, at least for general trends and the ranges of minimum Crr.

Even so, the shapes of those highly smoothed curves aren't exactly what I would expect based on previous data and theory.

edit: not to mention that 40kph is significantly faster than the 20 mph max (32.2kph) reported for the rolling road setup. All things being equal, greater speed would tend to shift breakpoint pressure to the left, not right. In other words, if the treadmill truly represents pavement, then the data should look similar to that plot, but with the power minimums shifted to slightly higher pressures.

Last edited by: Tom A.: Aug 22, 22 16:19
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So...a quick calc using the stipulated temp range above (which is only ~1.4C range, or ~1/2 of what I've seen in HVAC controlled office environments), and mass and speed claimed (85kg, 20mph), shows that temperature difference can cause the Crr results to vary by up ~0.5W (with a reasonably assumed Crr of .0030 for the application).

That doesn't seem like much...until you look at charts showing 1W differences, that is...and understand there are other sources of error contributing as well ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
The constantly lessening power requirements with reducing pressure, for even a 28c tire, still is hard for me to fathom...unless the road surface roughness is REALLY bad, and/or the surface has additional compliance/damping than typical pavement...

...or, unless it means that their wider internal widths widen the measured tire widths so far that even 30 psi is above the breakpoint pressure for those tires, speed, and road conditions? I'm not sure if that's exactly a good thing, if that's the case...for a variety of reasons.

Found another longer video with more details on the Rolling Road.

It looks like they're able to put different "belts" on the treadmill in an attempt to simulate different road surfaces. The ones shown in the videos on the SRAM website have some pretty nasty bumps in them (like riding in a rumble strip or on washboard dirt roads). Even if those were removed, The texture of the normal slats looks like they would provides a fairly "rough" surface, like riding on a boardwalk vs smooth asphalt. It's possible the plot you showed is from one of those really rough belts (maybe since they're showing the gravel king comparison?).

FWIW, there're 4 tris in Eagle Creek every year. The road surface inside the park is pretty good for for Indiana and it would make a good place for VE/Chung testing (lots of potential loops w low car traffic). It's been a couple of years since I've raced it, but I don't remember any chip seal or the thunk-thunk of expansion cracking, but at the same time, it wasn't freshly paved asphalt either. It's what I'd call "normal roads" like Zipp and Dan have been saying they're trying to represent. The data to show that the Rolling Road is actually replicating that though.......
Last edited by: mgreer: Aug 23, 22 9:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

It looks like they're able to put different "belts" on the treadmill in an attempt to simulate different road surfaces. The ones shown in the videos on the SRAM website have some pretty nasty bumps in them (like riding in a rumble strip or on washboard dirt roads). Even if those were removed, The texture of the normal slats looks like they would provides a fairly "rough" surface, like riding on a boardwalk vs smooth asphalt. It's possible the plot you showed is from one of those really rough belts (maybe since they're showing the gravel king comparison?).

FWIW, there're 4 tris in Eagle Creek every year. The road surface inside the park is pretty good for for Indiana and it would make a good place for VE/Chung testing (lots of potential loops w car traffic). It's been a couple of years since I've raced it, but I don't remember any chip seal or the thunk-thunk of expansion cracking, but at the same time, it wasn't freshly paved asphalt either. It's what I'd call "normal roads" like Zipp and Dan have been saying they're trying to represent. The data to show that the Rolling Road is actually replicating that though.......

when i was at zipp a couple of months ago i had it on my schedule to see the rolling road. but a covid incident forestalled that plan. as i see it now, from this video, it's a much more sophisticated device than i thought. to cajer's point on a PSD plot, i wonder what's built into the software analysis zipp has when translating video from its camera. 200,000 frames per second.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
mgreer wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

FWIW, there're 4 tris in Eagle Creek every year. The road surface inside the park is pretty good for for Indiana and it would make a good place for VE/Chung testing (lots of potential loops w car traffic). It's been a couple of years since I've raced it, but I don't remember any chip seal or the thunk-thunk of expansion cracking, but at the same time, it wasn't freshly paved asphalt either. It's what I'd call "normal roads" like Zipp and Dan have been saying they're trying to represent. The data to show that the Rolling Road is actually replicating that though.......

when i was at zipp a couple of months ago i had it on my schedule to see the rolling road. but a covid incident forestalled that plan. as i see it now, from this video, it's a much more sophisticated device than i thought. to cajer's point on a PSD plot, i wonder what's built into the software analysis zipp has when translating video from its camera. 200,000 frames per second.

Hmmm...seeing as the "planks" appear to be some type of polymer (Delrin, or Nylon?) material, and in the slow-speed video in the second link shows them deflecting somewhat, I think my suspicion of additional compliance/damping in their system is what is making their plots look the way they do. Unfortunately, that surface doesn't have the same properties as pavement.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
marcag wrote:
Slowman wrote:

So...a quick calc using the stipulated temp range above (which is only ~1.4C range, or ~1/2 of what I've seen in HVAC controlled office environments), and mass and speed claimed (85kg, 20mph), shows that temperature difference can cause the Crr results to vary by up ~0.5W (with a reasonably assumed Crr of .0030 for the application).

That doesn't seem like much...until you look at charts showing 1W differences, that is...and understand there are other sources of error contributing as well ;-)

Something that’s been nagging at me, and just because you brought it up: reporting measurement error doesn’t seem to be in the kit-bag for engineers (perhaps I should say industry engineers?). Recalling the Zipp data in question here has 4 runs for each setup, so it’s possible to show this.

Put another way, to you point (and BergHugi above?) – is all this just hair splitting if the test sensitivity is a relevant amount less than the size of the error? Dan argued above that Zipp (and other companies?) don’t show error bars because this is not up for peer review. That seems like strawman rationale if we’re seriously interested in teasing this apart.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Slowman wrote:
mgreer wrote:
Tom A. wrote:

Hmmm...seeing as the "planks" appear to be some type of polymer (Delrin, or Nylon?) material, and in the slow-speed video in the second link shows them deflecting somewhat, I think my suspicion of additional compliance/damping in their system is what is making their plots look the way they do. Unfortunately, that surface doesn't have the same properties as pavement.

Looking at pictures each plank appears to be in the range of 2-4 inches wide. So if they are running the system at 20 mph and there is additional damping (as it appears from the data), we would expect to see some features around 90/180 Hz in the PSDs. But they only show them up to 50 hz.

Looking at the PSD's themselves they appear to be quite noisy, either the runs weren't long enough/not enough runs were used or they used too large of a window. As is it's hard to make a comparison between the real road/rolling road.

However I imagine the rolling road is extremely good for tuning mountain biking or gravel suspension as the only features as the features they are looking at are the bumps they add in.

CLA wrote:

Something that’s been nagging at me, and just because you brought it up: reporting measurement error doesn’t seem to be in the kit-bag for engineers (perhaps I should say industry engineers?). Recalling the Zipp data in question here has 4 runs for each setup, so it’s possible to show this.

Put another way, to you point (and BergHugi above?) – is all this just hair splitting if the test sensitivity is a relevant amount less than the size of the error? Dan argued above that Zipp (and other companies?) don’t show error bars because this is not up for peer review. That seems like strawman rationale if we’re seriously interested in teasing this apart.

That's likely because we are both looking at small deltas and the bike industry doesn't have that much money for development meaning they aren't able to do allot of runs to reduce errors. So it's best for them not to report them.
Last edited by: Cajer: Aug 23, 22 21:40
Quote Reply
Re: New Zipp 858 NSW and 808 [Cajer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cajer wrote:
That's likely because we are both looking at small deltas and the bike industry doesn't have that much money for development meaning they aren't able to do allot of runs to reduce errors. So it's best for them not to report them.

you industry experts crack me up!

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This is probably a silly question, but hey.....

Why doesn't ST set up a road test with a well accepted method (like Chung testing) to validate some of the data/claims made by the manufacturers ?

BTW, the TSE paper is actually really interesting. Not too many manufacturers release this amount of info. I still believe the P5 whitepaper was the reference of what a great report could/should be.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:

This is probably a silly question, but hey.....

Why doesn't ST set up a road test with a well accepted method (like Chung testing) to validate some of the data/claims made by the manufacturers ?

BTW, the TSE paper is actually really interesting. Not too many manufacturers release this amount of info. I still believe the P5 whitepaper was the reference of what a great report could/should be.

i think you're on the right track, and i would be game. we've helped facilitate this kind of thing a number of times before. i do think there's a built-in bias against any kind of tire testing that's not drum testing, because a lot of people have invested time, money and reputations in drum testing and there's a lot of data around it that creates a momentum for drum testing to continue as the preeminent tech. as we see here, a number of people have formed opinions about granular specs of the rolling road (e.g., road surface characteristics) on the basis of a youtube video. so, if you want to use anything like rolldown, get ready to get stabbed.

what i like is your knowledge and your eagerness. what i would counsel is that you perhaps take some time to actually consider whether this pretty sophisticated machinery is a step up from rolldown or circuit testing using chung or similar. i'm in agreement that zipp's characterization of the road surface might be right and it might be not. if it's not, the road surface is more likely to mimic a less smooth actual road. but there only way to know is to test it and see.

but you would probably have to reconsider making statements challenging the integrity of the company if you think you might like to be part of a team that ferrets this out. in my 35 or so years in this industry i have very rarely (or never) come across top tier manufacturers who hide stuff or make stuff up when they present data on their new product. sometimes the data doesn't withstand scrutiny. but that's bad test protocol rather than subterfuge.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:

but you would probably have to reconsider making statements challenging the integrity of the company if you think you might like to be part of a team that ferrets this out. .

where did I ever challenge the integrity of the company ?
Last edited by: marcag: Aug 24, 22 17:55
Quote Reply

Prev Next