Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle
Quote | Reply
http://xlab-usa.com/torpedo-system.html

Looks pretty cool. Addresses the computer position problem that the Profile Design bottle presents, and also offers a more aero and probably more user friendly straw. The shape looks very aero and low profile. I would love to see someone like DC Rainmaker do another wind tunnel or track/aero test on this setup.

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [BambooKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It looks like their original BTA + Computer configuration reversed, with the addition of a new bottle design.

It's cool to see and compare the various BTA systems. Nathan, Profile Design, X-lab, Speedfil, Zipp

With all that in mind, there is something to be said for simplicity. I think the original PD HC & UCM mounts produce the same results for a lot less than $130. Not to mention the McGyver zip-tie crew, who will no doubt chime in here.

Edit: Zipp added

Last edited by: Jamaican: Jul 5, 13 11:43
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice but too expensive for me. I'll stick with my Torhans.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow pricey

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Jamaican] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BAM! McGyver crew in the house - hard to beat 4 zip ties and a bottle cage: simple, secure, aero.
While I love shiny tech as much as the next guy, it's hard to justify $130 for a rounded bottle, bendy straw, and computer mount.
It does look pretty sweet though...
Last edited by: TriMatt: Jul 5, 13 11:54
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [TriMatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. Zip ties and cage is all I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll see if I can dig up a pic of the old BTA setup I had that's almost exactly the same. Drill a bottle and insert a camelbak tube and bite valve, glue a hose clip to the top, zip tie the cage. $10 and 20min of work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMatt wrote:
BAM! McGyver crew in the house - hard to beat 4 zip ties and a bottle cage: simple, secure, aero.
While I love shiny tech as much as the next guy, it's hard to justify $130 for a rounded bottle, bendy straw, and computer mount.

x2. We seem to like to make easy things complicated. Looks nice, but does it solve any existing problems?
I have a speedfil A2, but the last several rides just been using a plain old bottle an think i like it better. Much more versatile, especially for an IM. I could see going back to the speedfil for a HIM though since I can get by with one bottle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriMatt wrote:

To be fair, the aluminum/non-carbon cage version is $75.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A solution to a problem that doesn't exist! :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It doesn't have to "solve a problem" any more than the A2 or any other new product. That's the wrong question to ask. It just has to be an improvement that enough people consider worth the price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's the slickest straw I've seen on a bottle. Equals the hydration system on a Shiv in my opinion. I'll be curious to see how durable the nylon cage is on the System 100.

-------------------
Madison photographer Timothy Hughes | Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [GAUG3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For the zip ties and cage guys. What has been your experience with the fit of the bottle hand ups in HIM and IM, specifically the off the grocers shelf sport top water bottles. Any issues with them moving around? Been using a Tor Hans thinking of just the BTA cage.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Stelvio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:
For the zip ties and cage guys. What has been your experience with the fit of the bottle hand ups in HIM and IM, specifically the off the grocers shelf sport top water bottles. Any issues with them moving around? Been using a Tor Hans thinking of just the BTA cage.

I lost several perform bottles on the bumpy roads at IMWI. No problems at IMCDA.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [renolaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would love to see a picture of this. Sounds like a great day project for my son and I to hammer out for some fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stelvio wrote:

If you take an elastic hair tie and loop it to the BTA bottle cage you can then pull it up over the top of the bottle and you'll never lose a bottle again.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [mgratton33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Simple is hard enough

Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [txtriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nice idea with the Velcro, was going to go that route with mine until I noticed how nicely it tucked in between the cage and mounting plate.
Last edited by: mgratton33: Jul 6, 13 15:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The xlab looks cool and functional but as others stated its pricey.
Wanted to go the profile hc route but its still not available yet in Europe I went the zip tie route, will ride it now first time.

@Txtriathlete... Did you use a fitting for the straw? Hard to see in the picture. Thumbs up for the Velcro.

-shoki
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haven't done an IM. On the HIM, I never took the water to drink. I carried my own for hydration. The only bottle I took was to pour over myself for cooling. I wouldn't think it would be a problem with those other bottles because the cage is low enough to where my forearms craddle the bottle.
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [jonahsdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonahsdad wrote:
Stelvio wrote:

I lost several perform bottles on the bumpy roads at IMWI. No problems at IMCDA.

For 1st IM I used BTA w/o a cage. Just laid the bottle between the bars and pulled rubber bands over to secure. No issues w/ fit or loss.
For 2nd IM I used BTA w/ a cage - after experimenting w/ different cages (I already owned) during training to find one that gripped sufficiently tightly (some are much better than others). No issues w/ fit or loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, I just got the new Profile Design version. My gut feels like I would like this better, but I am not unsatisfied with the PD setup.

I find that the straw sitting at my face makes me drink casually. Its much SAFER to not have to leave the aero bars to drink with a normal bottle BTA. Not that it is very unsafe in doing so but still. Ive had 1 hand on the aerobar and hit a road reflector that made my heart jump!

I added my own bite valve to my PD setup. The computer is a little further back than Id like, but Its probably more "aero" behind the bottle so I will take it for what it is!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, this probably looks like the best option out there but I think X-lab missed the mark on the price. Especially with with the multiple, much cheaper options in the marketplace, I think this product will have a tough time appealing to the masses (unless the bottle itself is sold separately)
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [pml] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thought I would chime in on the pricing complaint.

The Torpedo System 400 is $135 because it comes with a carbon fiber cage and a carbon fiber mount which cannot be compared to other complete systems on the market right now. When I say complete I mean you can buy a system that comes with bottle, cage, comp mount and all the sweet accessories.

The Torpedo System 100 is $75 and comes with a nylon composite cage and an aluminum mount. This system is comparable to the other complete systems on the market right now including materials and pricing.

Candice Turner
CEO
XLAB - Aerodynamic Triathlon Accessories
Dawn to Dusk - Off-road Specific Storage Accessories
http://www.XLAB-USA.com http://www.dawntodusk.bike
Quote Reply
Re: New X-Lab Torpedo BTA Bottle [Candice - XLAB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Candice - XLAB wrote:
Thought I would chime in on the pricing complaint.

The Torpedo System 400 is $135 because it comes with a carbon fiber cage and a carbon fiber mount which cannot be compared to other complete systems on the market right now. When I say complete I mean you can buy a system that comes with bottle, cage, comp mount and all the sweet accessories.

The Torpedo System 100 is $75 and comes with a nylon composite cage and an aluminum mount. This system is comparable to the other complete systems on the market right now including materials and pricing.

Candice - do you have an availability date for this product? I've spoken with several friends and the consensus is that this product appears to meet all of the requirements we have been hoping for in a BTA solution.
Quote Reply

Prev Next