Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Tri Bike Thoughts......
Quote | Reply
Howdy all,

It's quiet here right now, and for a while I've been toying with the idea of getting an honest-to-goodness Tri bike to ride. (I don't need one, but, I do *want* one) Originally the idea was that it was going to be the carrot for me based on race and work results for the first half of '05, but now I think I might just go ahead and take the plunge sooner rather than later. (and Tom D's heads-up on the pending price increases was part of that too - THX Tom!)

So, I have been appropriately brainwashed here at ST, and am seriously considering a Cervelo P3, with options from Felt and perhaps QR running second. (I know there are lotsa other great Tri bikes out there now, but expanding the field just makes the decision process worse, not better) I'm pretty standard measurements, and have good flexiblity, so fit shouldn't be any issue.

OK, so in the world of P3-dom, you have the P3, P3SL, and of course Da Bomb, the P3C. (which unless somebody rich dies and leaves me $, is outta the question, as much as I would love love love to own and ride one)

So now we're back to the P3 vs. P3SL. It seems to me that, other than the cool anodized black color, approx 3 oz. or so, and the front and rear der's and cassette and chain being upgraded to D/A vs. 10sp Ultegra, that the extra $800 isn't buying all that much extra bang for those bucks.

However, I'm not a huge fan (sorry Tibbsy and Gerard) of the standard R & W "Team" colors of the standard P3, but that's OK, cuz ya can get 'em custom painted now - cool.

I figger that for less $ than a P3SL, I can get a P3, custom paint, AND a Renn disk. I am perfectly happy riding Ultegra on my road bike right now, so that part is a non-issue for me.

Whaddya think? Any input?

Lastly, I searched Cervelo's Dealer Locator, and found the follwong 4 dealers are closest to me (sorry Tom D, I'd love ta buy a bike from ya, but metro NY is just a tad too far from Michigan):

Map
Name
Address
Phone
Distance
Cosmic Wheel 184 Main Street
Ridgefield Park NJ 07660
(201) 440-6655 Ext. 0000 36.27 miles
directions
SBR MultiSports/Ultimate Tri 155 W. 46th Street
New York NY 10036
(212) 399-3999 Ext. 0000 42.74 miles
directions
Sid's Bike Shop 235 East 34th St.
New York NY 10016
(212) 213-8360 Ext. 0000 43.60 miles
directions
R&A Cycles 105 5th Ave.
Brooklyn NY 11217
(718) 638-0479 Ext. 0000 48.12 miles
directions

Anybody have and recommendations pro or con about any of these folks? I know that Slowman has a commentary about SBR and R&A that I've read, looking for anybody who has actually bought a bike and/or gotten service from any of 'em.

Thanks in advance!

-M

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [Murphy'sLaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to my LBS today and they had the black P3SL. It looks sweet.

But other than that, I have nothing.

Actually, how much does a custom paint job on a bike cost? I have a 2004 Dual and I just don't like the color red for some reason. I am thinking of getting it painted blue or black.

--
01001010 01100101 01101110 01001000 01010011 00100000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01010100 01101000 01100101 00100000 01000100 01100101 01110110 01101001 01101100 00100000 00101000 01100001 01100011 01100011 01101111 01110010 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000 01110010 01101111 01100001 01100100 01101000 01101111 01110101 01110011 01100101 00101001 00100001
http://trainingoferic.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [erichollins] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eric,

If you find out about the Dual please PM me with info. I wonder if painting will kill the warranty?

"In the blocks you're a prisoner, the gun releases you."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whoa!!!!

Yes, you HAVE been brainwashed by ST.

The P3 is a GREAT BIKE for a very good niche of riders, but (sorry Gerard) it's not for everybody.....

Go over to R&A and you'll find tons of eye-candy and a staff that will get you on the proper bike for your fit and application. They rock. I bet a knock-off Tag Heuer that you'll find yourself in a different frame......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GO FOR IT!!!!

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If the P3 fits you, then go for it. I love mine and the position I have achieved on it, but there might be something that fits you better.

Before I bought the SL, I went back and forth about the two bikes. The color combo of Red and white grew on me, but I went with the SL because of the durability or at least perceived durability of the anodized finish. It looks tough, and so far it has been scratch and scuff free.

Check out the thread from the guy who painted his P3 with the P3C scheme. It looks great.

56-11...the only way to fly
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [runboorun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased my P2K from R&A - nice people - very good service

Good luck. I don;t think Tom or anyone will have an issue with you supporting your local bike shop!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Go to R And A in Brooklyn, especially if you live in the city. Felix will fit you wonderfully and Tony will give you good advice about riding (he won Nationals-roadie). I've purchased three bikes from them over the years and they've always been very helpful and friendly. Phil, the owner isn't the talkative type, but so what.

While you're at R and A check out their Felt DA's which are no longer being manufactured. R and A has a lot of these frames and they are most excellent. I own one of them. A dream bike all the way.

Have fun.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
C'mon kids - 6 months ago I pretty much mocked Tri bikes (since I've done pretty well in bike splits w/ a stock road bike w/ clip-ons) and swore that I had no need or use for one.

4 months ago you probably couldn't have paid me to buy a Cervelo in general, a P3 in particular, and now here I am, saying "Hey, that Kool-Aid looks pretty tasty, can I have a glass?", and nobody else wants to weigh in on it?

R&A and SBR are probably topping the list so far, since they are somewhat "known quantities" based on Slowman's reviews of them (and the additional input here - THX!!) It's just a PIA to get from where I am to Brooklyn.

PS - it was nice out yesterday, got my 2nd outside road ride of '05, and if my daughter will ever freaking settle down and take her nap already (she's screaming "DA-DA!!!!" again and again at the top of her lungs right now - it's actually way more cute than annoying ;-) , today will be outside ride #3. Wish me luck....

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bunch of folks from here have had great transactions with R&A. Doubt you can go wrong there. Your logic is sound as well - custom paint & a Renn (maybe painted to match?) would kick some serious ass!

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [Smitty8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Alan at RA is a good guy.

If the P3 fits you...it didn't fit me in the 3 sizes I came close to.
My torso nixed the deal.
You will pay a heavy price on your lower back and neck if you get this bike w/o an experts fit .
just my 2 cents.

Seeing him in deep torment, I said. " You can have my last GU , but its been down my pants for most of the run". - John Hirsch

Take care of your body, its by far the coolest thing you're going to ever own.- Can't remember who told me this, but I love it.
Quote Reply
Re: New Tri Bike Thoughts...... [SwordFish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point about the fit. While I sorta had narrowed down the field to the P3 (I figger if I'm gonna get a Tri-bike, then get a TRI-bike - steep and aero. No point in getting something shallow, I've already got that in my road bike - not that there's anything wrong with that), I'm not commmited to 'P3 or bust'.

It just seemed like the most aero bang for the buck.

My bike buying modus operandi has always been to get a really good bike, once. While I do fantasize about getting a new mtb or road bike, I really don't need either, my current rides are both great (even if the mtb in particular is getting quite long in the tooth, this will be the 9th season of riding it, which is like dog years for a dual susp bike).

<< You will pay a heavy price on your lower back and neck if you get this bike w/o an experts fit >>

Truer words were never spoken. My road bike was like that for the first 5 seasons I rode it; I just figgered that a sore back and neck, and getting just as much of a tricep pump as leg wokout were "normal" on a road bike, having only been a mtb'er prior. Only once I got it properly fitted (THX Paul Levine!!) did I fully realize the joy (and comfort, and power) of riding it.

I'll keep RA on the top of the list - thx!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply