Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides.
Quote | Reply
Well after the pain in the ass getting the "fits all shoes" cleats to fit my Time shoes...(cutting, grinding and bleeding). We decided that a New Years Day ride was in order. About 40 degrees out with a nice breeze of about 15-20mph, great weather for riding. The thing about the new Time pedals is that I did not notice that they were new. Felt just like my Time Titan Mag pedals (and are really not much lighter in the hand scale). I guess that is good - didnt notice anything by feel. Easy to get into, out of and all. I do have the springs all set as tight as they would go...I hope that the springs do not get slack with Time (pun maybe intended, hell I dont know). The cleats are much easier to walk on than the old Time cleat - but who cares about that really?

Day two...New Years Day - was about 33 degrees and raining...dropped car off at the YMCA, went home and got on the bikes for a 90 minute ride that would end with a long sit in the steam room. Same feel as the day before - BUT - when these pedals get wet the squeek like a crushed rat...piss me off. Could not get the damn squeek to go away, every pedal stroke, squeek - squeek, squeek, squeek...drive me about batty. I guess that is what happens when you rub wet plastic against we plastic (call it carbon composite or "space age polymer" or what ever the hell you want - it is plastic).

Getting harder and harder for me to know why these new Time pedals are any better than my older Time Titan Mag pedals that are BOMB PROOF...huh....

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides. [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Record -- Not a ringing endorsment. I've been holding off on getting a set until a few more reports are in. Nothing I've seen is particularly positive, but not bad either.

Keep us informed.

"In case of flood climb to safety"
Quote Reply
Re: New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides. [j-son] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that maybe I was just so happy with my current Time pedals that an "upgrade" was not really an upgrade...if I was on SPD or a lesser quality pedal I bet I would be singing a diffrent tune. When you compare a 2004 Benz to a 2005 Benz it is hard to see the improvement.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides. [StillRecord10Ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You didn't need to do the cutting and grinding. The time impact cleats work fine. You just use the red part meant for time shoes. I just rode a 100km with this exact setup. I think the only difference might be that the offset seams to be part of the new cleat but I'm buggered if I can tell the difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the original Time pedals for a number of years. Have been wondering about upgrading to the Impact pedals or upgrading to the RSX pedals. I have a couple of Impact pedals new in the box, wondering if I should install them or ebay them. From your opinion, sounds like I should stick with the Impact, the RSX isn't much of an improvement, Impact is more durable.

salmon - not because I'm a fish
Quote Reply
Re: New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides. [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't really know which is more durable. I have certainly broken the front section of the impact off in a crash but I'll hopefully not have to test that out with the new ones. The RSX is certainly lighter but I can't tell the difference between them when riding.
Quote Reply
Re: New Time RSX Titan Carbon pedals - first rides. [salmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would not get Impacts. I upgraded a couple of years ago to Impacts and have had a hard time with them (two sets; Mag Ti and Mag) from almost the start. First off the red cleat wears very quickly, which means the locking mech starts to float after about a month of use. This is on top of the amount of float you dial in. Secondly the cleats glazed after about 2 months use and then from there it was squeak city. I'm not sure if this was a result of the pedal platform, or the material the cleat was made of, but $35 every other month for new cleats is not cool. Sloppy and squeaky, may be good for some things, but not for pedals.

I just got (2 weeks ago) the new RXS pedals and they seem better; we'll see. Were it not for such good vibes from the original Times and the Mtb. ATAC's I would have changed brands. I see now there was a reason they waited so long to upgrade from the original Times, and why they haven't waited nearly as long to upgrade from the Impacts.
Quote Reply