Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Stryd Footpod measures wind
Quote | Reply
https://blog.stryd.com/...lw8VxojKtTYCKX8_o2L8

What does the new Stryd do?
The new Stryd is the first tool built for runners to measure the wind. Stryd reports the extra power (in watts) required to overcome air resistance. Now, you will know how much power you need to run into a headwind, the power saved when running with a tailwind, or the power saved when drafting off a pack of runners. Stryd gives runners the ability to turn the wind into a measurable and performance enhancing force.

What else is new with the new Stryd?

- World's first wind capturing capabilities
The entire pod structure (including the clip), has been redesigned to capture wind. The external shell, and internal components have been designed, specifically to capture and analyze in real-time the air and wind you are running through.

- Next gen motion sensor
Next gen motion sensor delivers improved accuracy

- Newly added environmental sensors
Added temperature and humidity sensors will enable you to use the environment to your advantage.

- Newly added magnetometer sensor
Added magnetometer to enable several new and exciting planned-for capabilities, including improved accuracy.

- Greatly expanded storage
64x expanded storage in Stryd will enable longer data collections for your ultra running as well as much higher precision data collection.

- New, high visibility charging & pairing indicator
Stryd’s new LED makes indications, like charging, completed charging, pairing, and wireless connections are clear and easy to see, even in sunlit conditions.

- Friendly pod and clip experience
Stryd’s clipping and unclipping action is super smooth and effortless while being just as secure as before. Switch Stryd between shoes is a breeze.

- Increased antenna range
Stryd’s antenna range has been greatly increased so you can rely on each and every data point coming through, whether to your phone or sports watch.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 27, 19 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah yes, another biweekly Stryd post. Really not sure how they plan on accurately measuring wind from a foot pod that is inches from the ground and is in constant motion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty underwhelmed with the new developments. For me*, I don't see a need to upgrade since both of my pods behave well enough. I just rely on RPE to adjust power in the wind. I mean, I get they are trying to address what some of the naysayers claim about Stryd. I would have preferred better battery life. And I thought they already had a magnetometer on the MPU they used.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will it broadcast to the Fenix 5 (non-plus) watches? Blame Garmin sure, but if they made it broadcast more powerfully I would snatch one of these up in a heartbeat.

Fenix 5 owners have money to burn, It would be a mistake not to attempt to pick up the ball that Garmin dropped.

I hope they've taken a page out of the Runscribe book and upped the power on version 2...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty excited about this. I have a Stryd on order and am pleased I'll be getting the newer unit as if the wind measurement works, it would be pretty helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stryd's Facebook page says they will be sending emails today with an upgrade incentive for existing owners. I am super-curious what that is. I have had mine for around 2-1/2 years, so I am due for an upgrade. I love tech.
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [caverunner17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am guessing the wind direction and speed will come from the watch unit and then recalculate the info. Very useful on long runs into the wind and one directional run like Boston marathon.

Will it be perfect??? will it be useful it you use it correctly, for sure.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The "incentive" is $20 off!!

Use your personalized code XXXXXXX at checkout for $20 off the new Stryd. Offer active for the next 30 days.

My only question is if my current Stryd dies, do I get one of the new ones as my replacement or do they have legacy ones for that?
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [Brad Fio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brad Fio wrote:
The "incentive" is $20 off!!

Use your personalized code XXXXXXX at checkout for $20 off the new Stryd. Offer active for the next 30 days.
Doh... I was briefly excited, but then I saw the current price is $220. I am pretty sure mine was $200 when I got it, so the price is up $20 which neutralizes the discount. I will probably still order one. I really like mine.
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like mine too, Stryd has done right by me on a warranty claim.
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [Triathletetoth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triathletetoth wrote:
I am guessing the wind direction and speed will come from the watch unit and then recalculate the info. Very useful on long runs into the wind and one directional run like Boston marathon.

Will it be perfect??? will it be useful it you use it correctly, for sure.

That's now how the wind detection will work. They don't have the whitepaper ready for release either, which is concerning. Stryd doesn't use anything from the watch. It's all self-contained. Which watch gives you wind data? I haven't see that feature on ANY watch made.
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [Newduguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read his article and I'm intrigued. I'm still uncertain about the usefulness in gusty scenarios. At the beach the wind is pretty constant where I run, but it's not wind tunnel constant. It's a step in the right direction, I suppose. Still won't be upgrading until I pass along one of my current Stryd's to my son.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wind impacts were higher than I expected. Eyeballing the chart:
0 MPH wind ~260W
6.7 MPH wind ~265W
13.4 MPH wind ~280W
20.1 MPH wind ~310W
26.8 MPH wind ~370W
33.6 MPH wind ~470W

Keeping in mind that this is wind speed relative to the runner, that would mean even a 10 MPH sustained wind, for a runner going 10 MPH, could take an extra 35-40 watts to overcome!
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, my question is - is the effect of the wind really consistent among athletes? My (purely anecdotal) observation has been that runners who are short and solidly built tend to handle wind much better then tall lanky types. Heavier runners tend to get pushed around less than lighter runners. And some runners are built more like sails than others.

Stryd can obviously control for weight, but how does it control for build?
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Height is also accounted for in metrics.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Stryd Footpod measures wind [darkwave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They're probably making some guesstimate of CdA based on height / weight. It can't be too accurate but it might be in the ballpark.
I'm a little suspicious though about how accurate their airspeed measurement is considering how small the sensor is and where it's placed.
I guess taking into account air resistance (even if it's not super duper accurate) is better than not doing it at all.

darkwave wrote:
So, my question is - is the effect of the wind really consistent among athletes? My (purely anecdotal) observation has been that runners who are short and solidly built tend to handle wind much better then tall lanky types. Heavier runners tend to get pushed around less than lighter runners. And some runners are built more like sails than others.

Stryd can obviously control for weight, but how does it control for build?

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never mind just read the DC article.

Technique will always last longer then energy production. Improve biomechanics, improve performance.
http://Www.anthonytoth.ca, triathletetoth@twitter
Quote Reply