Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New S-Works Venge
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does this mean there will not be a faster Vias version. Also why not have the r12 version of the carbon which is used in the tarmac. They mentioned it’s faster that SL5 but what about the SL6.

Just curious!
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [Triben32] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Triben32 wrote:
Does this mean there will not be a faster Vias version. Also why not have the r12 version of the carbon which is used in the tarmac. They mentioned it’s faster that SL5 but what about the SL6.

Just curious!

the copy in that link says:
* more aero than the ViAS (therefore more aero than the SL6); and
* lighter than the tarmac SL5 disc.

it does not say "faster than the SL5" (your quote) -- but that follows because it is faster than the fastest road bike they've ever produced.

as for 12r vs 11r -- that might be a typo. we've seen this before with new bike releases.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
£9,500 for this first version. Gulp! A beautiful bike, but that price!?!?!?
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [Misery] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The new S-Works Tarmac had similarly stratospheric pricing when it launched, but 9 months down the line they've just released a full range including more reasonably priced options; I expect we'll see something similar with the Venge in due course.

Interesting that there won't be a rim-brake model; not surprising but interesting : )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So 2 new Venge bike’s in the last few years but no new Shiv.

I want to see a new Shiv!!

I ride:
Cervelo - P-Series/R3
GT - Sensor Carbon Expert

Supporters - Flo Cycling, Mount Bikes
Last edited by: BayDad: Jul 3, 18 2:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Way nicer looking than the Vias IMO. Also interesting that the head tube 'lip' looks somewhat similar to the new Cannondale System Six.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting windtunnel test how will be new venge vs new cannondale. Its funny that these two bikes were announced within one day between each other.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

This bike looks so badass. But c'mon! Gumwalls? Eww. I don't even care if they're making a comeback.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:
Interesting windtunnel test how will be new venge vs new cannondale. Its funny that these two bikes were announced within one day between each other.

In your average road race or crit, with a little elevation change, the new Venge will be faster because it is a lighter bike than the SystemSix. If the course were totally flat with zero wind angles then the results may be different.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [stonerider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stonerider wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

In your average road race or crit, with a little elevation change, the new Venge will be faster because it is a lighter bike than the SystemSix. If the course were totally flat with zero wind angles then the results may be different.

Why does everyone take mass into account when the road goes up, and then everyone forgets about it when you have to accelerate out of corners? That said, I'll still take my Allez Sprint for crits....survivability of Aluminum vs. Carbon frame for the win.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [Ksavostin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ksavostin wrote:

And add the disc Madone on Friday!

I have to say the disc road bike is starting to feel a little less weird now and I think this wave of bike are the nail in the coffin for rim brake bikes. The one thing I noticed is the starting price seems to be down a bit from the last round. I wonder if that is the Canyon effect?

Hopefully the used markrt will now be flooded with the Vias and Madone frames. Those prices are not going to fit in my budget until the kid is out of college, but a second-hand Madone frame for 1500$ would work for me.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
Way nicer looking than the Vias IMO. Also interesting that the head tube 'lip' looks somewhat similar to the new Cannondale System Six.

The Venge Vias also had a "chicane" though it was actually more pronounced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What a beautiful bike. I really like what they did with the bar. One thing I notice, though, is that the down tube isn't "flared" like the Venge Vias or the new Cannondale System Six. This is obviously a weight saving measure but I wonder what the aero implications will be when there's a bottle down there.

Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [pyrahna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
That said, I'll still take my Allez Sprint for crits....survivability of Aluminum vs. Carbon frame for the win.

Don't ride a bike when you get the most benefit of all the performance thangs?! My buddy who only does training rides on his $8000 road bike drives me nuts.

90% of crit crashes you just slide along and lose some skin and scratch up the bars and stuff. Race the goddamn race bike! It wants to race. Needs to race. RACE IT.
Last edited by: trail: Jul 3, 18 7:00
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
pyrahna wrote:
That said, I'll still take my Allez Sprint for crits....survivability of Aluminum vs. Carbon frame for the win.

Don't ride a bike when you get the most benefit of all the performance thangs?! My buddy who only does training rides on his $8000 road bike drives me nuts.

90% of crit crashes you just slide along and lose some skin and scratch up the bars and stuff. Race the goddamn race bike! It wants to race. Needs to race. RACE IT.

I don't crash often (he says while furiously knocking on wood), but earlier this year one of my team's juniors took me down and it spun my bars so hard that my front brake ran into my down tube and left a pretty decent dent and bent the bolt holding the brake onto the fork. If it was a carbon bike it would have died that day, I've raced the hell out of it since then and periodically check for cracks. Thankfully it was my anodized black bike, so even the scratches were minimal.

For the record, I ride the hell out of my nice wheels and other race components. But I try to race by the adage of if you can't afford to replace it, you shouldn't race it. I can afford a Tarmac, or a Venge, and hell my wife would approve of the purchase....but I sure as hell don't want to have the conversation about replacing it if things go sideways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:
trail wrote:
pyrahna wrote:

I don't crash often (he says while furiously knocking on wood), but earlier this year one of my team's juniors took me down and it spun my bars so hard that my front brake ran into my down tube and left a pretty decent dent and bent the bolt holding the brake onto the fork. If it was a carbon bike it would have died that day, I've raced the hell out of it since then and periodically check for cracks. Thankfully it was my anodized black bike, so even the scratches were minimal.

For the record, I ride the hell out of my nice wheels and other race components. But I try to race by the adage of if you can't afford to replace it, you shouldn't race it. I can afford a Tarmac, or a Venge, and hell my wife would approve of the purchase....but I sure as hell don't want to have the conversation about replacing it if things go sideways.

generally speaking, when crashes happen carbon frames can be repaired (and usually for fairly cheap) while aluminum cannot. aluminum is not like steel in that it can tolerate being re-shaped without undermining the fatigue properties of the material.

a dent to aluminum can be catastrophic; often the same impacts that break carbon are enough to dent/score aluminum.

for equal money, a carbon frame is a better bet (IMO). had you argued that the aluminum frame is cheaper and therefore more disposable, i'd be with you.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [tetonrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tetonrider wrote:

generally speaking, when crashes happen carbon frames can be repaired (and usually for fairly cheap) while aluminum cannot. aluminum is not like steel in that it can tolerate being re-shaped without undermining the fatigue properties of the material.

a dent to aluminum can be catastrophic; often the same impacts that break carbon are enough to dent/score aluminum.

for equal money, a carbon frame is a better bet (IMO). had you argued that the aluminum frame is cheaper and therefore more disposable, i'd be with you.

I agree that a lot of crashes where carbon cracks aluminum will be dented or scoured and that aluminum cannot be reshaped. I disagree with the commonly perceived belief that carbon bicycle frames can be reliably repaired. I know I'm on a limb on with regards to the prevailing community belief but I believe the forces are too varied and the amount of surface area available to attach a patch is too small to reliably repair carbon on a bicycle frame.

Pure performance I agree the good Carbon frames are better, but for me the balance between performance and money in the type of racing I do, I'll take the good Al ones.
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:

I have to say the disc road bike is starting to feel a little less weird now and I think this wave of bike are the nail in the coffin for rim brake bikes.

:)

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pyrahna wrote:

Why does everyone take mass into account when the road goes up, and then everyone forgets about it when you have to accelerate out of corners?

-Because compared to the overall mass, the differences in mass being discussed are an exceedingly small percentage...

and

-Even in an all-out sprint, bikes accelerate REALLY slowly (i.e. deltaF=deltaM x A, and both deltaM and A are exceedingly small, and thus so is deltaF).

In other words, the aero drag force differences greatly "outweigh" (pun intended) the mass differences under acceleration. Simple physics.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 3, 18 10:35
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ksavostin wrote:

And add the disc Madone on Friday!

I have to say the disc road bike is starting to feel a little less weird now and I think this wave of bike are the nail in the coffin for rim brake bikes. The one thing I noticed is the starting price seems to be down a bit from the last round. I wonder if that is the Canyon effect?

Hopefully the used markrt will now be flooded with the Vias and Madone frames. Those prices are not going to fit in my budget until the kid is out of college, but a second-hand Madone frame for 1500$ would work for me.

I watched a GCN video last night about the SystemSix...in the views where the presenter was riding, I thought the discs looked totally out of place on that bike...which isn't the impression I got when looking at still pics.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Last edited by: Tom A.: Jul 3, 18 10:34
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
3 years and 3 design changes. I am pretty sure there will be a 4th Venge in 2019. Specialized is competing with itself.
Last edited by: swimfan: Jul 3, 18 8:23
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [swimfan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So they essentially put out a heavier aeroad for $12,500?
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [Hammer Down] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hammer Down wrote:
So they essentially put out a heavier aeroad for $12,500?

For me, the fact that this (and the SystemSix) can take 30c tires means that it crushes the Aeroad which appears to be limited to ~25c in the rear.
With weights coming down and Tire clearance increasing, the aero-bikes are becoming more compelling for me.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: New S-Works Venge [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was curious about that... does Specialized say somewhere what the maximum tire clearance is for the new Venge?
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Jul 3, 18 10:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next