Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ?
Quote | Reply
New pair of Hed 3's.
Cervelo P2C.

Have yet to use the race wheels. Period.

Would it be beneficial to use them on a long ride prior to raceday? Or should I "save" them for raceday?
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ride them. You want to be comfortable on them.
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [YFLMITITW] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been riding on my new (to me) H3s for a while now to get used to them before IMAZ. I feel it's been beneficial to me as now I have a pretty good feel for them. Plus my training wheels blow and I'll be in the market for a new training set soon anyway. I'd say ride them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a firm believer in the axiom "never ride anything new on race day". The reason I buy into this so much is because I have ignored it and paid the price with either a technical problem or some compromise I had to make during the event because my shifting was a little off or I wasn't 100% comfortable on a given piece of equipment.

Ride the wheels before the race. Get used to them. Verify that there are no technical issues with them. You won't be sorry.

Best of luck in your race. Oh, by the way: After your initial test ride on them do be dilligent enough to inspect them closely for tire cuts, etc. just as a precaution.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would second Tom's comments. I have a P2c and H3 set and noticed a difference in rear shifting when changing from the training wheels over to the H3's. The H3's had more space at the wheel cutout and when I moved them in tighter it changed the shifting of the rear derailler. It shouldn't matter if you do a couple shorter rides or a long ride with them, but try to find a time with a little wind. The H3's can give a strange sensation with the front wheel if it is windy.

Plus, the H3's are pretty durable in terms of race wheels--there are some people who use them for both training and racing.
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [StreamteamMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree w/ the above... just not sure I'd necessarily make it a "long" ride. But, I'd absolutely take them out for a few hour to really ensure you don't have any issues.

I didn't... I went into IMLP a couple of years ago without having tried my new H3s; I figured it would be just one more little "pick me up" on race day. Good plan (sarcasm intended)... Figured out the day prior that my magnet wouldn't register on my spedometer. Damn. Taped it on - based on the advice from one who claimed he had expertise in the area. That held damn near all the way to the ski jump when I had to stop and take it off because it was smacking into my chainstay. Then, got to ride the remaining 100+ miles with no idea how fast I was going. All that could have been solved by simply going for decent race simulation long enough in advance to make (and test) any mods you might need.

--------------------------------------------
"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." - Army General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ride them. And change the tyre and tube on the rear at the end of the ride, just as practice. Especially important if you are running tubbies (remember Norman in 2005?)

------------------------

Toronto Retailer and Fitter

hellovelo.ca
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd make sure that you knew how the handled and you could change a tire. A long ride may be overkill.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a Hed Stinger 60/90 before Wisconsin last year. I did three shorter rides on them (30 miles, 20 miles, 40 miles). One of those rides was on rolling terrain (since I changed the rear cassette to a 12-27, I wanted to see how it climbed). I think it is important to feel comfortable w/ them. Know how they handle in crosswinds so that there are no surprises. I had Tom Demerly show me how to change tubulars as well (I had never used Tubulars before).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would if only for peace of mind. Like Emilio says..never do anything new on race day. Besides, it would be fun.

Be careful on your 1st ride with the H3's. I'd hate to see you get busted for speeding on your 1st time out.

Paul "Speedy" Gonsalves
http://www.rollingthundercanada.com
RollingThunderCanada

Canadian distributor for HED Cycling, Blue Competition, Akona Biospeed & Aerus Composites

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For sure, before racing on my HED 3s, I made sure to get at least a 100km on them, of which 70km were on a windy day, just to get used to the handling in a cross wind. I do find it takes a mild rear derailleur adjustment when I switch wheelsets, because the HED 3s are much narrower than most spoked training wheels, and it adjusts the alignment ever so slightly.

Adam

Euro-Sports.ca/The Foodery Team member
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [Speedy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great - this is the advice I was looking for. Thanks Tom and everyone else.

I will put them on bike this evening for a long ride tomorrow and may even go so far as to change the tube after the end of the ride as per one poster's suggestion.

Now, I just have to figure out how to mount my wheel speed sensor on the H3's???
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aside from the obvious logic "don't do anything new on race day", do these wheels wear out so fast you can't use them other than for racing? Do they lose their speed? I have a pair of Hed Jets, I ride them all the time...if they wear out, so be it....get another pair

----------------------------------------
I ride a Cervelo...get over it....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Train with what you are going to race. Wheels, nutrition, clothing, etc. You never want anything to happen unexpected on race day and plus it will give yo a chance to feel fast prior to IMAZ ;)! I would ride them from a minimum of 4-6 weeks out as much as I could. Good luck with your race.

- Matt

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I mount a Neodynium magnet at the top of the valve well (half round bit) with a little bit of hotmelt.

If you need a pic I can take one for you?

Cheers,

Paul
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Epoxy

HED covers this on their web site! Enjoy the new wheels.

--Roberto

Representing:
De Soto Clothing
Marin Bicycles
Chariot Carriers
Karhu Skis
Kayland Boots
Nemo Tents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took new H3's out for a 2 mile spin, just before Eagleman a few years ago, primarily to make sure the tires were glued on ok. I heard a distinctive "clunk" as a slim bushing split in the rear...had to race on other wheels. Since then I have tried to do a lot more break-in/testing before races, which is not always easy given that you usually want to save race gear as much as possible. But another 20 miles on a set of sew-ups really won't make a difference, unless they are ultralights, like Vit Comps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I say ride them. My Zipp 808's tubies handle and brake different then my training wheels.

Good luck in your race

Train safe & smart
Bob

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't understand why you would spend over $1500 US on something and not use it every day! :) If I could afford "race wheels" they would become my every day wheel.
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [Markus Mucus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just for the same reason that if you bought a $1000 tux, would you wear it everyday? To me race wheels are special and I dont want to trash them. Yes I use them on at least one ride before each race but if trashed them in a pothole I would be pissed and out about $1200. My everyday wheels not so much.

-----------------------------------------
Donate now to the war on ALS
Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [RACERX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]Yes I use them on at least one ride before each race but if trashed them in a pothole....

Stop riding with your eyes closed then. ;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have a set of H3s and would strongly recommend you ride them a couple of times before the race. It doesn't have to be a long ride. 1-2 hours and you will get a feel for how they handle differenty compared to a normal spoked wheel. But try and get out when there is a little win because a sidewind can catch you off guard and you should know what to expect race day. Good luck at AZ.

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [konaexpress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, ride them. They can take it.
-I work at Hed

Andy Tetmeyer (I work at HED)

Quote Reply
Re: New Race Wheels: Should I use them on a long ride before IMAZ? [andyt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sweet.

andyt and speedy: how to affix speedo sensor to the H3?

i was thinking of putting it on the air nozzle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes....

I shall never misuse Rex Kwon Do
I shall be a champion of freedom and justice
Quote Reply

Prev Next