Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New Orleans 70.3
Quote | Reply
Its anyone doing New Orleans this year? Any feedback/advice on the course? Any race better than N.O?
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [alfredallen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, they moved it from early spring to fall. I did it when it was in the spring. Assuming the the course is unchanged...

The swim then was in a nasty harbor. The chop was pretty horrible because of 20-30 MPH winds. I did not like the swim at all, because it was an "M" shape inside this marina/harbor area and the water tasted like boat exhaust. The bike was a flat, scene-less out-and-back on mostly closed highway -rade roads.The run was next to the lake and nice. The start, finish, base, was in a remote area relative to downtown. The course is about as flat as a course could possibly be. If there is no wind, it would have been very fast. When I did it, the bike headwinds were epic. If fall has calmer weather, then it could be a very fast course.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New date...new course too I was told. I heard the swim should be way better...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, it's an OK course. The swim in the harbor is awful. I felt like I was inhaling diesel fumes for 30 minutes. The bike is flat and fast. This is the elevation of the course:

______/\_________________________/\ ______

The "/\" are the overpass you cross on the way out and back.

Run is a simple out and back with a massive bridge you cross at the beginning/end. Otherwise is pancake flat as well.

Overall I had a really good time when I did it in '15. If the course changes with better swim, etc, then it could be even better. My favorite part was indulging in cajun food and beer the evening after the race - cant' beat NOLA for that aspect (I was an out of towner - YMMV).
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [blueapplepaste] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me this month in IM Texas 70.3. The fumes during the swim really made me gag and got me sort of dizzy/high. Bad high...lol
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hear ya on the winds....not fun at all..nothing worse than putting out as much power as you can, looking at your Garmin to see you're averaging 15mph lol
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [zooropa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really hope the swim is better than what I've read. I wonder why the date change of not because of that
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 My guess is they moved it to the fall to get calmer weather. There were times on the bike when I was only going 12 mph and struggling. Of course, on the way back I was cruising at 25 to 29 almost no effort. But I could not make up for the lost time going out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Year I did it we had cross winds the entire way, from the left going out from the right coming back. Shoulders were pretty bad trying to control the bike. I thought the swim was crummy, the bike was OK< and the run marginal (when I did it, it ended in the big park south of the lake, I wouldn't want to do an out and back to south shore harbor..... and the forementioned bridge is BIG).

NOLA is a fun town though and they serve (or did serve) free Abita at the end. That gets some points
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Following this because I will probably do it this year. I want a fall 70.3 and this is one of the few that fit in my schedule. My wife is from New Orleans and still has family there which helps with some logistics.

I have heard the same thing about the swim but I don't think they have moved it. However, after swimming in the canal at IMTX last week I really don't think anything can be worse.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [houtexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, while there some areas she water was a little gross my biggest beef was the M course layout, especially the second and third turns as the angle is odd and finding the buoys are hard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
houtexan wrote:
Following this because I will probably do it this year. I want a fall 70.3 and this is one of the few that fit in my schedule. My wife is from New Orleans and still has family there which helps with some logistics.

I have heard the same thing about the swim but I don't think they have moved it. However, after swimming in the canal at IMTX last week I really don't think anything can be worse.

Ever been to Tempe?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figured they moved it because it was competing with Texas 70.3 but that is only my guess. I have been getting non-stop emails from PEM about a deal to sign up for like $202 so i figure the new date isn't all that popular...

I echo the thoughts about swim and post-race stuff. I had to fully walk the last leg thanks to a tendon inflammation so I want to do this race again. Just not in October and maybe with a facemask in the swim.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
houtexan wrote:

Similar situation here. My husband is from NOLA, and we have thought about tying the race into one of his visits home some year.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
houtexan wrote:

Ever been to Tempe?

Never been to Tempe. I live in Houston and try to keep my races somewhat local or at least an easy drive. I plan to eventually do a destination 70.3 once my wife is more comfortable with the distance.
Last edited by: houtexan: Apr 28, 17 10:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
houtexan wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
houtexan wrote:

Ever been to Tempe?

Never been to Tempe. I live in Houston and try to keep my races somewhat local or at least an easy drive. I plan to eventually do a destination 70.3 once my wife is more comfortable with the distance.

Lets just say it's probably not the swim you are looking for and leave it at that.
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [ChrisT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisT wrote:
houtexan wrote:
ChrisT wrote:
houtexan wrote:

Ever been to Tempe?

Lets just say it's probably not the swim you are looking for and leave it at that.

Thanks for the somewhat clarification. I thought you were pimping it as a good race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wind last year was horrendous, no question. I mean, it was so bad it was comical. I'll be back this year and gonna give S Africa a run but going to need some rolldown help.

2016 into the wind - 18.8 mph on 171 AP

2016 with the wind 25.2 mph at 163 AP

Last edited by: LSUfan4444: Apr 28, 17 12:06
Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing on the run (except in reverse) I knew the wind would be brutal once we turned around to head back to transition but I wasn't expecting it to be that bad. I don't know if it did but it felt as if it got worse throughout the day.

Quote Reply
Re: New Orleans 70.3 [LSUfan4444] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LSUfan4444 wrote:
The wind last year was horrendous, no question. I mean, it was so bad it was comical. I'll be back this year and gonna give S Africa a run but going to need some rolldown help.

2016 into the wind - 18.8 mph on 171 AP

2016 with the wind 25.2 mph at 163 AP

Was it in Oct last year also or still in April? Either way, we can't control the weather. Galveston had horrible cross winds this year and at IMTX going up overpasses into the north wind I was barely able to stay upright. I am a big guy so it really hurts me. My downwind speeds at IMTX might have been close to yours but into the wind I was more like 15mph. I don't use a powermeter though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The race last year was in April. I think the main problem with the race being in April is how it fell among some of New Orleans larger festivals (French Quarter and Jazz Fest). I know they wanted a race this April AND October (so they wouldn't miss a year to qualify for Chattanooga worlds) but they couldn't get it worked out with WTC.

October should be less windy and temps should be about the same.

Quote Reply