Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Lionel bike position?
Quote | Reply
Looks like LS has changed position on his bike. Looks more cramped to me.
Surprised there is no thread on this yet.
Bottomis the new pic from today’s race.

Last edited by: KingMidas: Jun 24, 18 19:50
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [KingMidas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right or wrong he went to a smaller frame after thoroughly inspecting Frodeno’s bike. He mentioned this on one of his social media videos earlier this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He needs a bike fit intervention.

KingMidas wrote:

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m far from an expert but I’d like to see him
In the top pic with more stack and tilt on the bars
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely looks like he could use some more reach on the smaller frame..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Both of those positions look painful!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He just needed a slightly shorter stem on his previous frame. It looks so inefficient now.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:
He just needed a slightly shorter stem on his previous frame. It looks so inefficient now.

I was thinking that on former frame, shorter stem, maybe a bit higher stack (1 cm maybe) and bar up tilt and he's set.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When he does crap like this, it fully explains why Lionel is so relatable to age groupers.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No expert here. Top pic, he looks a bit stretched out, angle of torso and upper arm is telling of that. The bottom pic could be a bit deceptive, better angle is needed to compare apples to apples, camera angles frequently do not do justice.
On the other hand, I am sure he has expert on subject of bike fit around him. I don't think he needs my critique.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Brandes wrote:
When he does crap like this, it fully explains why Lionel is so relatable to age groupers.
This...
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [atasic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He said after Oceanside that he was working with Garneau and TriRig to hone his equipment and position, so I can’t imagine they’d let him try something too crap for sake of their reputations. It sure looks uncomfortable and scrunched up though. I recall him saying something in an interview about going to the wind tunnel in July, not sure if that’s still in the plans, but hopefully that’ll sort him out.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Brandes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Give AGers some credit, I’ve never seen a position this awkward at a Tri series race, Steve.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [SidSnot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, until he goes by them like a motorcycle.

This shot was probably taken on 117 based on the backdrop. It's possible his position was compromised because he was ascending, descending, farting, or skooching around to adjust himself in his shorts.

In the past four years he has gone 2:03:21 (2nd was 2:05), 2:02:29 (2nd: 2:07), 2:01:52 (2nd: 2:10.00), 2:02.19 (2nd: 2:04.55).

This year, when he went 2:02.19, he ran something like three minutes faster than he has in the past. Maybe that position is working for him.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Daniel Clarke got some shots of the pro men heading out of T1. Interesting to compare all their positions.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BkaZoPzFT9F/?taken-by=danieljclarke

Canadian Professional Triathlete

Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KingMidas wrote:

That looks completely terrible.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [MadTownTRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You win this round :)

MadTownTRI wrote:
Give AGers some credit, I’ve never seen a position this awkward at a Tri series race, Steve.

Inside The Big Ring: Podcast & Coaching

Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Ben Rudson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lionel looks a lot better in this pic
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Lionel looks a lot better in this pic

I disagree. The frame looks too small. I can’t tell but the bar seems like it is tilted downwards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I should clarify, he looks better in daniel clarke's pic than the one originally posted to this thread. His knees aren't actually touching his elbows at least
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [M----n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year, when he went 2:02.19, he ran something like three minutes faster than he has in the past. Maybe that position is working for him.

Not saying this is right, but more is working for Lionel and his bike position than is not working.

It is a work in progress. I know that he's always tweaking things here and there. He knows that while he can generate BIG watts, he is giving some away, and that's why he's always tweaking.

Note that static pictures like this are perhaps the worst way to fully access positioning on a bike - but it does give some clues. That being said, having talked to some of the top people about this, the eye is often deceiving it what may LOOK aero, may not be so and the reverse is also true, what may look slightly un-aero, might actually test better!

As always this was a great mid-season test for Lionel, and because he has now raced this course in MT so much, he can tell exactly where he's at in terms of his race fitness/form. I'm sure in addition to the win, he learned a lot from the race yesterday!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jun 25, 18 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fleck wrote:

First is first. I think it works.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [taldesigns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His swim was two minutes faster than last year, and his bike was a little less than a minute slower. His run was 3 minutes faster. I went back into the previous year's results and it appears that he set a new course record by my count, faster than Gomez' race in 2014 at the world championships. I think the key here is he appears to be trying to get more efficient with his watts to squeeze as much out of his effort as possible.
I also agree with Fleck, one picture might not say everything, a video would make more sense.
Having said all this, he does appear to be a bit more scrunched up but as has been said, if it is working.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [turningscrews] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
turningscrews wrote:
Right or wrong he went to a smaller frame after thoroughly inspecting Frodeno’s bike. He mentioned this on one of his social media videos earlier this year.

Frodeno 6-4, Lionel 5-10...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: New Lionel bike position? [Fusion] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fusion wrote:

Gotta love ST Monday morning QB!

Lionel wins the race, with the fastest bike and run splits.

He improves his swim, run, and overall time from last year.

He continues his improvements from each year to the next.

Yet with one static photo at angle that is not 100% accurate to the previous year people rip on him and saying he is doing it wrong, looks inefficient, what is he thinking, etc.

All coming from the people that most likely could not get the improvements at the level of performance Lionel is at in his career right now.

What else do people want from Lionel? Continue to win races or look "better": doing it. What looks "correct" might not be the best choice.

Maybe all this stuff as has been shown is working for him? If I was Lionel and I was having the success he had the past 2 years the last thing I would do is listen to ST he continually contradict the decision he makes that allows him to improve race after race. Probably one of the reasons he stopped listening to the public a while back.

ST, maybe you guys don't know it all and that is why your are quarterbacking and not actually getting paid to work on professional athletes. ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next