Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New IM venues?
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have any insight on any new IM venues that might be coming on scene for 2019/2020? I heard some talk of potential in WA state, but haven't heard anything finite yet. It would be nice to have another option in the Pacific NW besides Whistler. And since IM Coeur d'Alene is no longer an option, it seems like the PNW is overdue for some new options.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [runningnrunning] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IM Cork
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The counter is that the PNW area hasn't been much of a draw lately. Whistler wouldn't exist without the 70.3 subsidizing it. CdA couldn't draw a thousand people the last couple of years. Calgary doesn't pull a crowd. Victoria does okay. Lake Stevens was also discontinued.

I wouldn't hold my breath for NW expansion.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
The counter is that the PNW area hasn't been much of a draw lately. Whistler wouldn't exist without the 70.3 subsidizing it. CdA couldn't draw a thousand people the last couple of years. Calgary doesn't pull a crowd. Victoria does okay. Lake Stevens was also discontinued.

True, but Whistler sold out this year and it seems like Pemberton had a lot of participants. Maybe there's still hope!
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
IM Cork
I'll be there! Meanwhile, I don't expect to see any new IMs anywhere in the United States until total demand increases a good bit above the current level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about Asia?

We saw a few new races over the last few years with the WTC/IM acquisition and more Kona slots given in this region... But it looks like these locations were not mean to stay around for IM races?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:

I believe the decline in participation in the Coeur d'Alene 140.6 had to do with moving it to late August. It always drew very well during the 13 or so years that it was held in late June...the spot occupied for the last 3 years by the 70.3. I think most people shooting for an AG ticket to Kona did not like waiting so long in the year to plan a Hawaii trip based on the outcome of a late August race. There have also been I believe 2 or 3 other full Ironman races scheduled for the same day, pulling the pros and potentially a lot of age groupers in that direction.

Another thing to note is the newer phenomenon of massive forest fires throughout the west and northwest making air quality in August pretty crappy. In June the skies are generally clear but in the last couple of years by August you could cut the air with a knife.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Nov 5, 18 9:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningnrunning wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

True, but Whistler sold out this year and it seems like Pemberton had a lot of participants. Maybe there's still hope!

Sold out is just a matter of what WTC caps it at. 2018 had half the number of 2013.

Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I believe this Spanish IM is new in 2019
http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/vitoria-gasteiz.aspx#axzz5W0IeiwrG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Instead of adding new locations...it would be nice to see Ironman races and course actually be good again. Like limiting the number of participants depending on the number of loops. How about starting by fixing the Ironman World Championships for both professionals and amateurs. I have a few solutions that would make it significantly better for pros and amateurs and the Ironman.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Spandexboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Spandexboy wrote:
I have a few solutions that would make it significantly better for pros and amateurs and the Ironman.

You’re also the type of guy who thinks you could do a better job coaching the Patriots than Bill Belichick, right?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Until about 2008 in Australia we had to qualify to do a Ironman by doing a half race and getting a slot. I would like to see those days back, it would make the Ironman more significant and prestigious.

We now have three ironman in Aus and all have a same day 70.3, I don't mind that as it makes sense with the road closed etc, but I would prefer to have less races globally and for them to be more prestigious for all involved.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [tamiii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strong rumour going around that a full IM will return to Japan next year in July. The venue already has two ODs there every year, so this might be true. But there have been many stories of IMs and new 70.3s in Japan that have come to nothing.

Keren
https://www.triathlonintokyo.org/
https://quintanarootri.com/ https://en-jp.wahoofitness.com/ https://www.worldtriathlonstore.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
runningnrunning wrote:
Does anyone have any insight on any new IM venues that might be coming on scene for 2019/2020? I heard some talk of potential in WA state, but haven't heard anything finite yet. It would be nice to have another option in the Pacific NW besides Whistler. And since IM Coeur d'Alene is no longer an option, it seems like the PNW is overdue for some new options.

Hoping for a IM Bend, OR at some point......

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
runningnrunning wrote:

Do you really think Bend could support another event on the scale of the Pole Peddle Paddle that you currently have? I live in the Coeur d'Alene area. While Cd'A was always an Ironman volunteer hotspot I think when the 70.3 was added (on a separate date from the 140.6) and two events per summer were brought to town there was pushback from residents and a dilution of the volunteer base.
Last edited by: HaydenHunter: Nov 5, 18 20:46
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [maarten.claes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maarten.claes wrote:
I believe this Spanish IM is new in 2019
http://eu.ironman.com/triathlon/events/emea/ironman/vitoria-gasteiz.aspx#axzz5W0IeiwrG

Technically, that race has been around for a decade.. maybe longer?
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:

That was my hope, too, but I’ve been told that Bend doesn’t have hotel space to support an IM.
Allegedly there is going to be one closer to Seattle. Maybe the Black Diamond venue in Enumclaw?

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just opened Ironman.com and guess what:

"NEW! Marrakech in Morocco to host IRONMAN 70.3 on October 27, 2019

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/#ixzz5W3XgeZMR"
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Vesseli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vesseli wrote:
I just opened Ironman.com and guess what:

"NEW! Marrakech in Morocco to host IRONMAN 70.3 on October 27, 2019

Originally from: http://eu.ironman.com/#ixzz5W3XgeZMR"

I thought the OP was asking about new Ironman courses?!!
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [HaydenHunter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HaydenHunter wrote:
The GMAN wrote:

I believe the decline in participation in the Coeur d'Alene 140.6 had to do with moving it to late August. It always drew very well during the 13 or so years that it was held in late June...the spot occupied for the last 3 years by the 70.3. I think most people shooting for an AG ticket to Kona did not like waiting so long in the year to plan a Hawaii trip based on the outcome of a late August race. There have also been I believe 2 or 3 other full Ironman races scheduled for the same day, pulling the pros and potentially a lot of age groupers in that direction.

Another thing to note is the newer phenomenon of massive forest fires throughout the west and northwest making air quality in August pretty crappy. In June the skies are generally clear but in the last couple of years by August you could cut the air with a knife.

The move to late August I agree is a reason for the decline, but no way Kona is the reason why it is not a good draw in August. You overstate how many people give a turd about that race. Kona doesn't keep 1000 people from opting out.

I think June was the perfect draw for California folks who can train in late winter/early spring, and for east coasters since it didn't conflict with the fall calendar of CHOO/Lou/Florida, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The other issue with having the race in the last week of August was that school has started (or was starting the day after the race). So teachers or people with school age kids would run into issues.

I know the idea was the 70.3 would be a preview/test for the full. But I think would’ve been good to keep the full in June and have the half in August (like Boulder). The half might have more interest that way as well since there are not as many late August/early September halves in the US (at least in the west)

But if the really wanted it to be popular they’d just send the bike course on the interstate to Spokane and back. And make it 2 miles short. It’d be ironman Texas North and people would flock to it

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [milkman1982] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The decline of IMCdA was coming regardless of the date. Numbers started dropping after 2012. The move to August hastened the decline but probably not near as much as people think. A general overall decline in tri participation plus more races plus travel/lodging hassles to get there are the main reasons.

Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They do half and full at Whistler on the same day. Why not Coeur d'Alene?
Quote Reply
Re: New IM venues? [Vincible] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vincible wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:

That was my hope, too, but I’ve been told that Bend doesn’t have hotel space to support an IM.
Allegedly there is going to be one closer to Seattle. Maybe the Black Diamond venue in Enumclaw?

A race in Bend would be awesome (mainly because I love Bend).

Where did you hear about a Seattle area race? Seems fishy to me. I can't believe IM would attempt to split the PNW vote between Seattle and Whistler. I suppose they could try to split the summer to encourage some to do both, but then Seattle would need to either be in early June (questionable weather, conflict with Victoria) or late Sept/early October (weather probably safer, but who wants to race tri in the middle of CX season?).

I don't think Nolte State Park could handle it, wouldn't work as a swim venue. Although it is only about 25 minutes from my parents' house, which would give me a pretty awesome commute in the morning.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It would be interesting to see if IM hemorrhages more money into events while they are for sale.

Their are many current full IM that don't sell out, actually far from selling out, so adding more wouldn't make sense. They are destroying their own 70.3 product here in the US and soon we will start to see 70.3 dropping. Though we already are (Syracuse, New Orleans, Austin, etc.)

I think we will see a halt on expansions until they are sold. The recent 70.3 additions is only because they acquired a license partner in Rev3
Quote Reply

Prev Next