Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
Scott in PDX wrote:
Tom A. wrote:
Herbert just posted a pic of an apparent "Grand Prix 4000S II" from Eurobike: http://www.slowtwitch.com/...ke_-_Day_1_3846.html

I wonder what they changed? (...and hopefully didn't make things "worse", if you know what I mean ;-)

Color on the bead strip a new width, 28. It's my understanding that other then the color options on the bead strip the tire is unchanged.

scott

When you say "bead strip"...do you mean the sidewalls?

Changing the material there could have an effect on Crr.

I'm sure Herbert will have pictures tomorrow, but no it's not the side wall. From what I can tell, only a sliver of color will be visible once the tire is mounted.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [Scott in PDX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I couldn't find it on the English site, but here's pics of the new tire:

http://www.conti-online.com/...eifen/gp4000SII.html

Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [julio26pt2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yah, colours ftw!
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Holy cow, yellow to go with my club kit. It's like they peered into my psyche and found the blind spot in my tri gear purchasing logic. I want coloured Contis!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
looks like that colored strip will help with aerodynamics. form and function!!!! nice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
julio26pt2 wrote:
I couldn't find it on the English site, but here's pics of the new tire:

http://www.conti-online.com/...eifen/gp4000SII.html

What is with the gold/copper one? Different material on the inside?

CB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2014 conti road tyres:
http://www.conti-online.com/..._en/themes/News2014/
clicking on the links on their website is giving me errors though
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [coates_hbk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like the overall shape and tread pattern, smartly, has remained the same so aerodynamics shouldn;t be compromised. SO the only questions is how does any changes to the tread compound and casing impact crr or durability/puncture resistance.

So far after about 1000 miles or so, I've found them to be more durable than my previous Michelin's and FAR FAR, more cut resistant. I have had one slow leaker from a pinch flat. Apparently if I went to latex tubes that issue would disapear, but I'm not ready to change just yet. I'm already getting grilled about the cost of this "hobby" by my wife as it is.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
further developed Black Chili compound for lowest rolling resistance, high mileage and maximum wet grip
the best tires with facelift, new colors, new design, proven technology
New in 23-571, 20-622 and 28-622 in poor conditions for better grip, puncture protection and greater comfort
Vectran ™ breaker is for maximum puncture protection
Available colors (23mm): black, yellow, red, orange, blue, green, silver, transparent
Last edited by: BMANX: Aug 28, 13 6:58
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OMG 650c! I really did not think that was coming. Is it sad how happy I am about this?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A sweet new 20mm to test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thumbs up for 23-571. I'm glad they are releasing it in 650c.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
...still waiting on GP4000 tubulars with latex tubes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So yes a 650c 23mm plus a 700c 28mm tire is new and many colors.

The tooling for the tires is the same so the shape itself should not be impacted according to the road product manager Christian Wurmbaeck. The inside of the tires is also unchanged, it is just the rubber coating on the outside and he had no rolling resistance data with him but from the top of his head thought it was 3% faster.

He also told me since the tire first came out there always have been slight changes but they were never announced or talked about. This was big enough to change it to an S II, but not big enough to call it a 5000S.

H
Last edited by: Herbert: Aug 28, 13 13:02
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately, the 650c version is available only in black :(
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
So yes a 650c 23mm plus a 700c 28mm tire is new and many colors.

The tooling for the tires is the same so the shape itself should not be impacted according to the road product manager Christian Wurmbaeck. The inside of the tires is also unchanged, it is just the rubber coating on the outside and he had no aero data with him but from the top of his head thought it was 3% faster.

Thanks! I'm assuming you meant Crr data, not "aero data" above, right?

Herbert wrote:
He also told me since the tire first came out there always have been slight changes but they were never announced or talked about. This was big enough to change it to an S II, but not big enough to call it a 5000S.

We'd already figured that out with the fact that the newer models not only are lighter, but roll significantly faster on the roller tests as well. Good to hear the confirmation though ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S from Conti? [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
Unfortunately, the 650c version is available only in black :(

Oh please...

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I meant rolling resistance data
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mind black but would prefer red. Look is everything. Crr is also important.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yay! I predict a sale on the 'old' GP4000S's.

although, I guess the ProBikeKit prices were already pretty dang cheap.
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [morey000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm... might be intersted in a 20mm for my narrow rim non-FC Zipp 404 in front.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
Hmmm... might be intersted in a 20mm for my narrow rim non-FC Zipp 404 in front.

Might be a good choice for a 404FC too.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

I thought on a wide rim it was a wash, especially when comfort over 112 miles is factored in, especailly with any rough roads. Besides, then I can buy 1 tire and rotate my 1/2 used 23mm 4000s (version 1) to the rear.

I figured it would have a larger impact on a front, narrow rim with clean air, than a wide rear rim tucked behind the frame.

I wonder if the handling is much different, or at least not enough to matter.

TrainingBible Coaching
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On a Zipp 303, which is wider than the 404 and 808, you can see that at some yaw angles the 22mm attack is more aero than the 23mm 4000s:

So, it is possible that a 20mm tire would be a good fast option on the 404 and 808FC, maybe only at low yaw angles, not sure

The 20mm continental supersonic has proved fast for a lot of people even on wide rims, but it also has no puncture belt...a 20mm 4000S will not likely be quite as good.

motoguy128 wrote:
jackmott wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

I thought on a wide rim it was a wash, especially when comfort over 112 miles is factored in, especailly with any rough roads. Besides, then I can buy 1 tire and rotate my 1/2 used 23mm 4000s (version 1) to the rear.

I figured it would have a larger impact on a front, narrow rim with clean air, than a wide rear rim tucked behind the frame.

I wonder if the handling is much different, or at least not enough to matter.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: New GP4000S II from Conti? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
IMO if you have wide rims and are worried about puncture resistance, get the Attack. Maybe the GP4000 has better high yaw performance when it's new but the Attack has the edge for Crr and aero otherwise. It might do even better if Conti would put the same tread pattern on it as the 4000...

But I'm still running the 20mm SS on my narrow rims...
Quote Reply

Prev Next