Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New ENVE Foundation Wheels
Quote | Reply
I was browsing ENVE's website and noticed they seem to be offering new products. This new Foundation lineup seems to be an addition to their current SES wheels. Two different products for the moment are listed on their page: ENVE 45s and 65s. The only hub option so far is their alloy disc hub though.

Both wheelsets are listed at $1600 which is a rather attractive pricepoint IMO if the manufacturing is as great as for their SES wheels. Was that a expected release? Or did they rush things to add more affordable products to their range given the current circumstances?

And what about your views on the below graph (taken from their website)?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Last edited by: captainolek: Apr 9, 20 5:13
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dont know a ton about them, although I do know this was a planned thing. A friend of mine got a job for them as a manufacturing engineer a few months ago, and he mentioned something about a more affordable wheelset on the way. Also, given they're released disc only, I suspect this is an early example of decreased rim prices due to disc only wheels. So much easier to design and manufacture wheels without a brake track.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looks pretty sweet. First thought is these are going to cannibalize the SES wheelsets. Also looks like they are road focused wheels, so anything off tarmac is still going to be an AR.

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [imswimmer328] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
imswimmer328 wrote:
Dont know a ton about them, although I do know this was a planned thing. A friend of mine got a job for them as a manufacturing engineer a few months ago, and he mentioned something about a more affordable wheelset on the way. Also, given they're released disc only, I suspect this is an early example of decreased rim prices due to disc only wheels. So much easier to design and manufacture wheels without a brake track.

They're cheaper because they are hookless (that makes them easier to manufacture even more than no brake track), so only tubless tires and only ones that are approved for hookless (conti 5000s aren't).

They look good to me!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We just published a full feature on these wheels, including our initial ride impressions:

https://www.slowtwitch.com/...ion_Series_7633.html
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
They're cheaper because they are hookless (that makes them easier to manufacture even more than no brake track), so only tubless tires and only ones that are approved for hookless (conti 5000s aren't).

There's a different approved list than for the ARs...5000TLs in 25mm are ok (not 28s though)
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [Nelo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch. Thx
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just wanted to chime in here. Yes, hookless is less expensive to manufacture than hooked, but this is not the primary reason for why we have so widely adopted hookless beads. The primary reason is that hookless allows us to manufacture the rim's bead seat diameter with more precision. This results in a more reliable and consistent tubeless setup.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm hoping to see an XC wheelset for those of us that prefer XTERRA
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I really enjoyed the review article on Slowtwitch – it helped clear up a lot of the questions I had! I am excited about these wheels... As I shift from rim-brake to disc (and I will be rim-brake for several years to come unless I win the lottery), I know I'll eventually get a nice set of wheels, and these are a game changer. If I'm fortunate enough to be able to get SES series, I will (the lower weight and shallower front than rear make a difference for me). But wow, these look great. Also: Looks like ENVE might soon release their own ENVE-endorsed, ENVE-branded tire? Likely a collaboration with...? hmmm...

Anyway, big thanks to Greg Kopecky for the review – Slowtwtich is the first and only site I've seen today with a hands-on review!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://singletrackworld.com/...usa-carbon-wheelset/

Singletrack had an article yesterday too - focussed on the the MTB wheels obvs as they're an MTB site.
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [ENVE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a super attractive price point. I am still on rim brakes for the road, but a gravel version would be something I would definitely have to add to my shopping cart.
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AG Tri Newbie wrote:
I really enjoyed the review article on Slowtwitch – it helped clear up a lot of the questions I had! I am excited about these wheels... As I shift from rim-brake to disc (and I will be rim-brake for several years to come unless I win the lottery), I know I'll eventually get a nice set of wheels, and these are a game changer. If I'm fortunate enough to be able to get SES series, I will (the lower weight and shallower front than rear make a difference for me). But wow, these look great. Also: Looks like ENVE might soon release their own ENVE-endorsed, ENVE-branded tire? Likely a collaboration with...? hmmm...

Anyway, big thanks to Greg Kopecky for the review – Slowtwtich is the first and only site I've seen today with a hands-on review!

Glad you enjoyed it! Can't comment on the tires just yet, unfortunately :) Working to resolve the inflation / air retention issue quickly... I'm hoping to post an update later today if my updated setup held air overnight...

UPDATE: It was the tire. I posted an update in the article.
Last edited by: gregk: Apr 10, 20 5:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the detailed review - nice read! How would you compare them to SES 5.6s with comparable hubs?

Instagram
Youtube Channel
Meta Endurance

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
captainolek wrote:
Thanks for the detailed review - nice read! How would you compare them to SES 5.6s with comparable hubs?

I haven't ridden the SES 5.6, so I can't comment beyond the things I mentioned about them in the article (i.e. differences in aero performance, rim shape, inner rim width, tire compatibility, etc). The biggest thing that will or should drive someone's decision between the any of the SES models and the Foundations is price, and whether you want to run tubeless tires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
whether you want to run tubeless tires.

Have to run tubeless, you mean. They both accept tubeless.
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gregk wrote:
whether you want to run tubeless tires.

Have to run tubeless, you mean. They both accept tubeless.

Sorta-kinda. You can technically run inner tubes on both wheels, too. On the hookless rim (Foundation series), you're just putting a tube into a tubeless-intended tire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:

Sorta-kinda. You can technically run inner tubes on both wheels, too. On the hookless rim (Foundation series), you're just putting a tube into a tubeless-intended tire.

Being annoyingly pedantic, but....

Your quote was "tubeless tires," not tubes. I would not run non-TL-ready tires on any hookless rim. Therefore - at least for my comfort level - going with Foundation is a firm commitment to TL-ready tires. While SES 5.6 provides choice in tire construction.
Last edited by: trail: Apr 10, 20 8:55
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
gregk wrote:

Being annoyingly pedantic, but....

Your quote was "tubeless tires," not tubes. I would not run non-TL-ready tires on any hookless rim. Therefore - at least for my comfort level - going with Foundation is a firm commitment to TL-ready tires. While SES 5.6 provides choice in tire construction.

I understand that. I was giving that person the benefit of the doubt for being able to understand the situation. Perhaps I was not specific enough. What I was really meaning to say was that if you're all-in on tubeless, go for the new Foundation wheels. They're less costly and work well. If you're not totally sure on tubeless, the 5.6 is probably better. Yes, you can technically run a tube in the Foundations, too, but that's sort of missing the point of the product, and you're adding weight (because many tubeless-ready tires area heavier than traditional clinchers). Fair?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
gregk wrote:
Fair?

Yup!
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [ENVE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ENVE wrote:
Just wanted to chime in here. Yes, hookless is less expensive to manufacture than hooked, but this is not the primary reason for why we have so widely adopted hookless beads. The primary reason is that hookless allows us to manufacture the rim's bead seat diameter with more precision. This results in a more reliable and consistent tubeless setup.

Supposed to be available with campy freehub, but not listed as an option on the Enve website?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone have more time on these wheels? I'm looking for an all around modern disc wheel set these have made the short list as have the new Zipps and maybe Hunts. Hunts might be little too narrow.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [jztelemark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you considered Reynolds wheels?
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hadn't but that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider them.
Quote Reply
Re: New ENVE Foundation Wheels [jztelemark] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jztelemark wrote:
Anyone have more time on these wheels? I'm looking for an all around modern disc wheel set these have made the short list as have the new Zipps and maybe Hunts. Hunts might be little too narrow.

Thanks

I am in the same boat but am currently leaning towards Fast Foward Tyro's just due to the pricing in the UK. The thing issue I would note with the Hunts is that the free hubs are unusually loud. Its a personal thing but I found them irritatingly loud which has also been noted by independent testers e.g. https://intheknowcycling.com/...set-for-the-money-2/ . A quick google confirms this is a common complaint and there is no easy fix so it is something to keep in mind. Its not a performance issue and I have some DT Swiss hubs that buzz pretty loudly but there is a threshold for the level of noise I am will to tolerate on longer rides.
Quote Reply

Prev Next