Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ???
Quote | Reply
It appears that I got a collector's item on my hands....I heard from my local dealer who was Cervelo's FIRST sponsored triathlete, that the P3SL will no longer exist come 2006. Its gonna go straight from the P2SL to P2Carbon to P3Carbon. Appears like I got a collector's item on my hands with my very sweet P3SL.

Oh, yeah, saw a brand new Soloist Carbon on the shop floor...a very sweet bike.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev, no aluminium P3 model at all? Big surprise. I'd hang to one if you're an owner.

Can't wait to see the carbon P2 though.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [devashish paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, say it isn't so. That would sooooo suck. I love the P3SL.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is what I was told...only carbon P3's. The lineup will end at P2SL.

Yes, I will be keeping my P3SL aluminium bike. I can't think of a reason for the carbon version. This bikes rides smoother in the tri postion than my Kestrel 200 SC carbon bike does in the roadie position. Having owned and travelled with carbon bikes for 14 years, I do have to say that I love the way that aluminium bikes travel (ie don't need to worry about dings and chips). In any case, if this is true, the P3SL will really be a P3LE (as in "limited Edition")

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I believe Gerard posted a earlier in the week that there will still be an aluminim P3 because not everyone likes carbon. (me included)

Here
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=539788;search_string=search_string;#539788
Last edited by: Mac: Sep 23, 05 14:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that hrad to believe for the exact reasons you state. I wonder when we'll know for sure, because if it's true, I won't be selling my P3.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can't think of a reason for the carbon version."

I'll be in the same boat with the P2 carbon. Would be nice, but it's hard for me to justify the cost of a frame upgrade from my P2K, especially when the engine needs a bit more work yet..
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Wow, say it isn't so. That would sooooo suck. I love the P3SL.
Oh Tommy, Tom, Tom... don't plead ignorance, you know the P3SL has ended it's glorious run ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like mine. fiddlesticks. I'm retro.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - think there are any P3SL's out there to buy. Does Cervelo have any?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's true it could make sense. For instance, take the editorial in a recent MBAction, where Richie Cunningham argues that having large product line-ups is unnecessary and wasteful. All that is needed is for a company to make one "perfect" bike for each category, a la motocross industry.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think they do. Some retailers have them. We have just a couple.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I heard the same info today. That they are discontinuing the P3 SL is a shame indeed.

I think I'll need to pick one up. Although the P3C I tried yesterday was just too SEXY. . . (AND it was MY size!!!!)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I see no reason to get worked up. Remember, no pics, it didn't happen...

Maybe I will care in a week.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All3sports.com is having a great sale on their 2005 P3 SL - they have marked them down to $2999 complete bike with the dura-ace. I wasted no time buying one!
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [duncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It sure make sense to rationalize the product lineup, but to turf the P3SL....

I'd rather have seen the more "traditional" Dual-P2SL-P3SL-P3Carbon. To me this makes more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
haha dev good thing im in the process of buying one :D

------------------------------------------------------------------
"The aspect of sport that you learn is that you have your good times and your bad times, but you share it with great people." - George Gregan

Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The line-up that the dealers received for 2006 was as others have mentioned: P2SL-P2C-P3C. This was what I was shown by my LBS earlier this week. Interesting.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i hear you. i can see the reason for trimming down one of the alu p3 lines, but both? maybe the rationale is to pit the p2c head to head competing against the like of the kuota kaliber and qr lucero, and have the p3c stand as a class of its own, since there really isn't any competition for bikes with the full rear wheel cutout (well at least cutouts that are actually come close to the wheel). though i don't see yet where a p2c would trump an alu p3 for performance, stiffness, and especially aerodynamics, assuming that the p2c would list for around the same price range. maybe the gross margin from producing the alu p3s lost out from a business standpoint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many people figured out that Cervelo wouldn't continue the SL when the announced the C version. Read last year's threads.

Cervelo, like any high-end, "image leader" (not to say they aren't great bikes. just that they are a market leader in image) can only occupy the top niche in the buyer's mind. Few people would buy the "not quite top of the line" SL with a C so close by. Most people don't buy a P3 to buy the next step down....Cervelo obviously and knowingly made the SL obsolete with the C.
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [reggiedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
...except if you are cheap guy like me. Then you buy the P3SL, downgrade from Dura Ace to Ultegra, downgrade from FSA carbon for FSA Grossmer Compacts, downgrade from Visiontech to Profile Carbon strikes etc etc. I decided to do all of this as I did not feel right spending that much money on myself ven though I had an insurance settlement from an accident with a van. It just felt too extravagant for my tastes. Then again, I pretty well do this with everything in life, so that I get pretty well what I want, but if I add up all the little savings over 40 years, I expect to retire 5-7 years earlier :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't know why they would get rid of bike this sweet!

Studio shot of my IMLP ride. I was art directing a photo shot and when the client left I put the P3 on set for a couple glamour shots!

Dan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
...except if you are cheap guy like me.
change "cheap" to "smart" ...
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan- That is a beautiful photo. I have the same bike.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: New Cervelo Lineup: P2SL, P2 Carbon, P3Carbon...no P3SL ??? [Dan Socie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice bike...crappy PT wiring job...wrap the two wires together every couple of inches with a short cross of electrical tape...then use a single 3/4 in strip of electrical tape (black in your case, but whatever color matches your bike) and run it the length of your down tube covering your wires with them centered between the edges... This produces a much cleaner look, and will disturb the air less than your loose flapping wires... I'd suspect your way kills much of the advantage your pretty little aero downtube provides. ;-)
Quote Reply

Prev Next