Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours
Quote | Reply
Has this been posted here?

Amateur Jonathan Shubert sets new 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/news/8866/amateur-jonathan-shubert-sets-new-100-mile-tt-record-in-under-3-hours
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Impressive, I thought that can't be real, but then noticed he's definitely an accomplished rider. Kudos to him. Hopefully they unflag his strava.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IDK what to make of these UK records because it was done on the equivalent of a pretty flat US interstate highway with lots of traffic. He averaged 33mph on 270w. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
But.......but....(sniff).....what...... about. (sniff)......Lionel?.......Whaaaaaa! :-(
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
IDK what to make of these UK records because it was done on the equivalent of a pretty flat US interstate highway with lots of traffic. He averaged 33mph on 270w. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, that's ridiculous. The hour record is just over 34MPH and Victor was dialed in aero-wise, and pushing ~330W. No to mention at altitude and on super low rolling resistance surface and track tires.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 3, 20 15:19
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To shade in the context a bit more, it's a one-way course leveraging a considerable tailwind.

https://www.strava.com/activities/4276986557
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While it is a terrific accomplishment I have a "but".

There's a short video attached to the article that shows him in traffic. On a four lane divided highway (which I wonder if he was on legally). Traffic was passing him at some speed on a continuous basis for the entire time. I have been doing Tris for a while and I love it when a car or even better a truck passes and gives me a boost for a couple of hundred metres. He's getting that boost continually. So really he's in a faster moving column of air. We'd all love to ride that one.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

There's a short video attached to the article that shows him in traffic. On a four lane divided highway (which I wonder if he was on legally). Traffic was passing him at some speed on a continuous basis for the entire time. I have been doing Tris for a while and I love it when a car or even better a truck passes and gives me a boost for a couple of hundred metres. He's getting that boost continually. So really he's in a faster moving column of air. We'd all love to ride that one.

Post COVID I want to go to the UK once for "10-mile TT tourism" so I can set a personal bananas time to use in internet threads, etc.

(I also think the achievement is great, in context.)
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [carbenfire] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tailwind and that road? No care. Out/back please.

Shoot, in Eastern NC you can hold mid 30’s on like 250w headed eastbound on a windy day! I’ve seen roadies on road bikes make it to the beach from Fuquay area and avg 25mph+ on like 150w. Wind matters. A lot.

I don’t care for records like this or the “car drafting” ones.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same. I've ridden 60 miles in well under two hours on road bikes. We were laughing and coasting for large sections of the 60 miles.
I've also averaged about 31 mph for 45 miles on a road bike; on an out and back. It was one of the hardest 90 minutes i've ridden. (Had a very fast friend to paceline with) This was pre-power meters but based on his and my numbers shortly after, it would have been over 300 watts at 62kg and high 300's at 72 kg's.

Cool that he set up to ride that far that fast. But it's more like the land speed records. It's a tribute to science and ingenuity.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is why it is a UK TT record & probably not a "world" record.....the UK TT scene is all about these kind of routes. The local 10 & 25 mile TT scene are all based around fast dual carriageway races where you get potential tailwinds and vehicle drafts. It is why there are a completely different set of championships for the different TT's (RTTC, closed circuit, British Cycling etc)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
lanierb wrote:

Yeah, that's ridiculous. The hour record is just over 34MPH and Victor was dialed in aero-wise, and pushing ~330W. No to mention at altitude and on super low rolling resistance surface and track tires.

34 mph on 330 watts is still hella impressive. How big of a rider was Victor.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iainbanks1 wrote:
This is why it is a UK TT record & probably not a "world" record.....the UK TT scene is all about these kind of routes. The local 10 & 25 mile TT scene are all based around fast dual carriageway races where you get potential tailwinds and vehicle drafts. It is why there are a completely different set of championships for the different TT's (RTTC, closed circuit, British Cycling etc)

Some of the reasoning for using the dual carriageways comes from when 60 or 70 years ago the roads were a lot quieter, and also 'proper' road racing was also prohibited in the UK.

(There's a lot of historical bad blood between what is now Cycling Time Trials and what is now British Cycling).

Other traffic rules apply to course setting too, and the quieter roads typically don't accommodate them so easily (eg road speed limit must be 40mph or higher, no right turns, and other stuff.
I hate the dual carriageway TTs exactly because you get too many whaaaankers (in predominantly German cars or white Transit vans it seems) passing WAAAY to close. Great for a free tow, but also for getting killed too.
UK roads don't often have the shoulder to ride on that you often get in the USA.

Dual carriageways are perfectly legal to cycle on here. Its only Motorways (and a few bits and pieces like some specific tunnels etc) where cycling is prohibited in roads.
But I keeping them to avoid being killed too often.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [iainbanks1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Note that this 100mi ride isn't comparable to TT events run under CTT or BC/UCI rules, where the max distance between the start and finish points are regulated.

The Road Records Association http://www.rra.org.uk keeps records of place to place e.g. Lands End to John O'Groates & also distance and time records within Great Britain. It was formed in 1888, so motor traffic wasn't the issue it is now.

For distance records, the strategy is to choose a busy straight road with a strong tailwind, finishing at a point with a net elevation loss.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Us crazy Brits eh!
RRA records can be set in one direction and on main roads, hence make use of a massive tail winds and be traffic assisted. Still fast though.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [Milessio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, he knackered his derailleur getting the bike out of the car and rode the whole thing in one gear. 62x13.

As others have said, this isn't a CTT or BC recognized attempt, this is meant to be a bit more fun - how quickly can I go distance x on the best road available. Don't read too much into it other than he went a long way really quickly under his own steam.

What you SHOULD be interested in are the homemade extension wraparounds he used, similar to what was discussed on other threads recently.

Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
trail wrote:
lanierb wrote:

1.73 m & 71 kg. CdA ~.17. That 330 watts was at altitude also as previously stated, so while he was about 60 watts lower than sea level threshold it is obviously beneficial doing the ride that high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trail wrote:
michael Hatch wrote:

Post COVID I want to go to the UK once for "10-mile TT tourism" so I can set a personal bananas time to use in internet threads, etc.

(I also think the achievement is great, in context.)

I always thought that would be fun to try.

You can also try Moriarty, NM and Statley, CA (not sure how you spell that one) as options for going fast in the US. You get the altitude advantage, but you still have to do all the work because there isn’t much traffic in places like rural New Mexico at 8am on a Sunday morning.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've made a couple of these now (ugly ones so far :D ) for some friends. The nice thing (hard to see from the picture but looks like about what I do) is that since you're just wrapping over pre-existing extensions, a lot of structural concerns are alleviated. They don't look as trick as a full custom one though...

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

~160lbs, 5'8".

The 330W is deceptive. It's at altitude, and would indicate something like ~360W capability at sea level.

Does indicate there's considerable room for improvement in the hour record, if one of the guys with more freakish ~430W+ FTP gives it a shot in Mexico and is able to hold closer to 400W. But that's a lot of effort and expense for a pro rider for an amateur event.
Last edited by: trail: Nov 4, 20 8:10
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More details on the bike here: https://www.bikeradar.com/...t-100-miles-3-hours/
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok... after looking at the photos, maybe I was too harsh calling mine "ugly"

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nothing says poor craftsmanship like lumpy duct tape.

Ya that is about as bad as my worst hobo carbon fiber projects. Obviously the setup works, but I would have gone for a more convex shape on the arm shields. Those things look more like air plows than air foils.

I do wonder what his CdA is. AeroCoach made a big deal about the first person they tested below 0.16, so I am guessing he must be around that number.

Maybe we should have a hack/bodge tread to see what kind of tricks and craftsmanship the SlowTwitch crowd is capable of.
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [michael Hatch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
michael Hatch wrote:

As one of the photo captions in the Bike Radar article put it: "Racing on open roads means lots of traffic, but that does bring advantages in terms of reducing aerodynamic drag."

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: New 100-mile TT record in under 3 hours [Warbird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is useful to understand the English, the English use.

"that does bring advantages" as said in English, English.

Means, in American English, "son of a bitch, the wind is a blast".

I am somewhat fluent in both languages.
Quote Reply

Prev Next