Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio
Quote | Reply
The Great Cleveland Triathlon will take place this summer on Aug. 13 & 14 at Headlands State Beach in Mentor, Ohio. A kids triathlon will take place on Saturday, Aug. 13th at 8:00 AM. A sprint distance triathlon and a 1/2 ironman distance triathlon will take place on Sunday, Aug. 14th at 7:00 AM. Go to www.active.com to sign up for these events. You can also e-mail the RD - Mickey Rzymek at mrzymek@aol.com for more information. This will be a great event! Z
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Any info on the course?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jeez Tom...I can't find a break on the schedule. 3D's Lansing Legislator 1/2 IM is the same weekend. I'm there. Ask me about open weekends before you do another one okay :-)

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom - I do not know much about the course as I have never seen it! I have been to Cleveland, but not in the last 10 years. The RD has worked with the course before with other events, so it has been used before for running races and triathlons. It is the week after Steelhead, so it would be a tough double for anyone going to Benton Harbor the first week in August. I'll be announcing the race in Cleveland! Z

PS - Steelhead on-line will be up soon. Just taking care of a few minor changes on the new web-site.
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jim- It is tough to find a weekend that does not have race in the Midwest during the months of July and August. I'm sure that the RD looked at the local tri schedule before picking this date in August. The state park might have had other events that he needed to work around. I'm sure that both events will be successful and draw athletes. Competition makes for better races.

In the early 80's when I was producing triathlons in south Florida, we had no competition and henceforce no reason to improve our events - just pride in our product. Once others started putting on events we not only had to improve our events for pride, but to stay one step ahead of the competition.

Competition for athletes at races make for better events and a better race for athletes! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm with you there Tom. What a problem to have....more than one choice where to go on any given weekend. Keeps everyone on their toes. This region may get the nasty weather in the winter, but so what. We make up for it the other 9 months with a ton of races.

Gets me wonderin'. Between the MGPS, 3D, the UP series, and all the onesy/twosy outfits...we must have no less than 35-40 tris and a half dozen dus in Michigan. Where do we stack up against the other notable tri states for number of events?

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This course location appears to be similar to the one used for the Cleveland Tri America Course. That being the case, I've raced it twice and live nearby, so I can attest to the course. I would imagine the swim will be in Lake Erie. We had some pretty big swells this year, but it can be flat as a pancake. Any bike route away from the lake will be essentially up hill for several miles, though not at any particulary steep inclines. Once you get about 10 miles out, and depending on what the RD does, the course could get very hilly. Easily a 1000' per hour hilly. The run should be relatively flat, especially if it were two loops.
Last edited by: ironmanatee: Dec 13, 04 10:21
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [ironmanatee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do know that the race site was used to Tri-america last year, so you are correct. Do not know if the bike course will be two loops or one! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom, any idea on the race drink? ;)

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll take a wild guess that Gatorade will be on the course!

Yes - I was correct, Gatorade will be at the Greater Cleveland Triathlon! Lemon lime on the bike and orange on the run! Z
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perfect. It will match those butt ugly clothes I saw you in. :)

infinIT Nutrition
Custom Blended Nutrition Solutions
http://www.infinITNutrition.com

Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2 Ironman distance race in Ohio [infinIT 1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the one nice thing about Lemon-Lime and orange colors - it goes with almost anything and tastes great! Z
Quote Reply