Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New 1/2IM in Westchester NY
Quote | Reply
am pleased to announce the Inaugural WESTCHESTER TOUGHMAN 1/2IM which will take place on Sept 21st at Croton Point Park. The race course features a beautiful one loop 1.2m swim in a protected cove of the Hudson river , a scenic 56m loop through upper Westchester, and a rolling 13.1m run around Croton Point Park with a scenic out/back section around Croton on Hudson. Registration is open now will be limited to 500 participants. Awards to include a sizable race purse to the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, overall men and women. Relays are welcome. For sponsorship opportunities contact me directly. For more information and to register go to www.WESTCHESTERTOUGHMAN.com I look forward to seeing you racing! Dr. Richard A. Izzo Westchester Toughman inc.

http://www.TOUGHMANTri.com
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [Richard Izzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why did you schedule this new event on the same day as the Westchester Triathlon? Glad to see a new local event, but sorry to see it conflicts with one of the other major races in the county.
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [bikebyrnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought Westchester Tri was a sellout. In this case there is no confict.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is the only date available to have the event, sorry.
Next year will be different.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why did you schedule this new event on the same day as the Westchester Triathlon? Glad to see a new local event, but sorry to see it conflicts with one of the other major races in the county.
I agree and this discussion has gone on in other forums. Bad judgment IMO to schedule both on the same day. I find it hard to believe it was the "only date" and hope they do not conflict in the future. Detrimental to BOTH races & the local athletes IMO.
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev is right. Westchester sells out every year, and is sold out for 2008, so I don't see a conflict. In fact, I plan on racing the new event. We need more grass roots racing.

2015 American Zofingen Du is May 17.
R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool too see new races pop up! Sometimes the scheduling just doesn't workout.

I wonder how long it will take before the WTC comes knocking at the door because of the blatant use of the word "IRONMAN" in their race logo and tag line "Westchester County's Only Half Ironman Event!"
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [tetsuoni] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Dev is right. Westchester sells out every year, and is sold out for 2008, so I don't see a conflict. In fact, I plan on racing the new event. We need more grass roots racing.
So those who are doing the Oly on the same day would not be interested in doing a local 1/2 if it was held on a different day?
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [Fatdoggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They may but there's also a half over at Lake Warmaug in CT the same day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
guys...QUIT WHINING...you should be thankful there is another event....more events equals more options for consumers...the Westchester tri in Rye is sold out...there will be no loss of revenue for either event.

If you are registered for Westchester Olympic and want to do a half, there are countless other half Ironman on other weekends to pick from....hop in your car and drive the 5.5 hours to Montreal the weekend before and do the Demi Esprit...you'll see a different place, and it actually won't cost a heck of a lot more than doing a local event, just cause the race entry is soooo cheap in Canada.

This Toughman event looks fun....I might drive down the 7.5 hours to do it if I can lure my family down with me.

Dev
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [Fatdoggy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
So those who are doing the Oly on the same day would not be interested in doing a local 1/2 if it was held on a different day?

Why are you making a big deal about this? Happens all the time that 2 triathlons are scheduled to take place on the same day. BTW, to the race director of the new half ironman - Great name "TOUGHMAN". I like it. Thanks for bringing a half IM to Westchester. Should be a great race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dev, that'd be awesome if you came down. The wagering on the Murphy's Law vs. Dev smack down would dwarf the prize purse.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If we can convince our families into it then it might be a back to back set of weekend smackdowns....ML brings his family up to MTL the weekend before for Demi Esprit and then I bring my family down to Westchester for Toughman...something tells me that convincing the respective families to do lame road trips for tris might be harder than convincing ML and I to beat the crap out of each other...

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Well it's not a conflict, except that a lot of potential customers (area triathletes) may already have signed up for the Westchester race. As long as you don't want your race to be to big it should not be a problem.

Based on what Westchester charges for an Olympic, I would guess about $320 would be the entry fee for a half in Westchester;)
Last edited by: Tri_yoda: Jun 30, 08 15:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ML and I were talking about Esprit driving to Tupper. As you wrote, the families' blessing is needed, but I know he's interested in racing in Montreal. Leave it to your sick mind to come up with a back to back, double half iron smackdown.

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man that is perfect, a local half will have to see how the schedule goes as it is pretty tight (Mighty Hamptons & MH Urbanathlon), but if not I can help out. As mentioned there will be no conflict with Westchester as it sold out in a day or so. If you are using some of the North County Trail it should be ideal, especially the long downhills leading up to the resevoir. Best of luck as you should get a great field and race together.
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [GFTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't cycle on the North County Trail on the weekend unless it can be a closed course. I rode NCT often when I lived in Scarsdale, but I only ever rode once on the weekend. That was enough. It gets very dangerous with bladers, joggers, kids on trikes, dogs off the leash, etc....

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
guys...QUIT WHINING...you should be thankful there is another event....more events equals more options for consumers...the Westchester tri in Rye is sold out...there will be no loss of revenue for either event.

If you are registered for Westchester Olympic and want to do a half, there are countless other half Ironman on other weekends to pick from....hop in your car and drive the 5.5 hours to Montreal the weekend before and do the Demi Esprit...you'll see a different place, and it actually won't cost a heck of a lot more than doing a local event, just cause the race entry is soooo cheap in Canada.

This Toughman event looks fun....I might drive down the 7.5 hours to do it if I can lure my family down with me.

Dev
No....scheduling the 1/2 on the exact same day does result in a potential loss of revenue for both events. You're forcing local triathletes to choose between two events when in many cases they'd like to do both. I'm just saying that it'd be NICE for the locals if they were not on the same day. The 1/2 RD (Rich Izzo) has said it most likely will not be the case in the future. That's good! I had no plans to do a 1/2 this year and even though I've done the oly several years in a row, I've been considering droping it from my schedule for a variety of reasons. Having said that, you might be shocked to hear that some of us don't have the luxury of drving 5.5 hours (or whatever) to another event. And I am NOT whining, dagnabit! f I whine, you'll know it! ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would like to thank all of you for the buzz about the new race, (especially RF). Our committee has worked long and hard to get this project off of the ground and will be happy to see the event occur this year. The bike course will be challenging, beautiful and along roads (not the trailway) that most of us ride each and every week. If you ride in Westchester you will know them well. The bike and run courses will be posted this week, with information concerning bag pickup coming soon.
There are many other large announcments to follow.

I have competed for the last 20 yrs in triathlon and have experienced organizing, and overseeing a very large local triathlon. To that end, I hope to see all of you enjoy our event this year or next.
To see the interest in triathlon so great is truly inspiring and I hope to see more of these events occur.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Looking back that is the reason why I haven't ridden there in a while but hypothetically wouldn't the Toughman mean having a rollerblader lodged in your spokes, kid on your helmet and pulling a dog by it leash? Yeah ... I didn't think it through... where's my beer, nontheless now safer but still cool.
Quote Reply
Re: New 1/2IM in Westchester NY [GFTJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Izzo came up with a course plenty tough enough without all that, or does he have a Japanese TV contract and we're all suckers? Don't get eliminated!

R.I.P. Chris Gleason
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There is very little flat riding around that area (my old stomping grounds), and anyway, nobody would wanna ride on the fricken bike path when there are dozens and dozens of miles of awesome scenic roads to ride on.

It may not be as hard as Nutmeg or Savageman, but it ain't gonna be a pancake flat drafters paradise like Eagleman or Devilman, that's for sure!!

Yes - only Dev would even seriously entertain the idear of doing back to back weekend HIM smackdowns.
And only I would even seriously consider maybe taking him up on it. ;-)

DON'T GET ELIMINATED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS - I agree with those who say it's not competing w/ Westchester. It's not.
That race sold out 7 months ago or whatever. Anybody who wasn't racing that weekend, now has another option to consider.
One that offers CA$H MONEY for the podium - CHA-CHING!!!!!!!!!!!

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to be clear the cost of the race is $225 for individuals and 300 for relays. The bike course only has one flat sxn that people routinely TT (hint hint), and you will ride around a beautiful resovoir (hint hint).
No trailway.

The run will go over a dam (hint hint).

This is a magnificant course. I have ridden it and run it. And we will have some of the top amateurs and some local pros competing for a cash purse of $3500.

Plus a major partnership is in the works to be announced in the next few weeks.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think this is GREAT to see. Westchester is always sold out and having a 1/2 Iron right in the neighborhood is fantastic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
which local pros will be competing?
Quote Reply

Prev Next