Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
New (Secret) Wahoo Product
Quote | Reply

220 Triathlon has a story/interview with Wahoo founder Chip Hawkins.

Apple News+ link (Story isn't yet available on public web site.)

Tucked into the article:

Quote:
“What I do know is that we’re definitely doing more in tri. My life’s heavily revolved around another new product for the past year, though the world won’t see it until possibly later this.â€

Hawkins remains tight-lipped to what that product will be […]
Gonna throw out my own prediction: power meter, probably pedal-based (otherwise what was the point of acquiring Speedplay).
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Form type goggles at lower entry price?

Not a coach. Not a FOP Tri/swimmer/biker/runner. Barely a MOP AGer.
But I'm learning and making progress.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it's a Speedplay PM, they better have done it right. (E.g. maintaining low stack, walkable cleats, highly adjustable).
Last edited by: trail: Feb 20, 21 15:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Power meter. Wet suit based.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well with the Kickr Climb and the Kickr Headwind we have seen them try and make riding indoor more like riding outdoor.

So I'm going with the Kickr Pissingitdownwithrain or the Kickr Wankerinawhitevanridingyouintoahedge.

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You must ride near me by the sounds of it.
Although if find wankerinagermancarpassingat70withaneighthofaninchclearance the worst.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickr Tailwind
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [Adub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I saw they had filed some patents late last year. I am pretty sure that it's an extension of the thinking of the ANT+ radar sensors, which integrates via the headunits to emit a siren if a car approaches too close / quick.

The Wahoo Wooha will be a big step forward in rider safety.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Using the radar to maintain legal drafting distances.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
So I'm going with the Kickr Pissingitdownwithrain or the Kickr Wankerinawhitevanridingyouintoahedge.

Cheers, Rich.
Hopefully there will be regional variations of this product because I could use the Kickr Boganinautethrowingemptybeercansatyouwhilerunningyouofftheroad version
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their version of the Garmin 945 level multisport watch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hopefully it is a power based speedplay.

If it is a Kickr-based product I think you just have to look at where the indoor cycling industry is going for clues. You have the Kickr climb, which does y-axis adjustments and the industry is moving towards adding steering adjustments (x-axis). A tri specific addition would be to add motors to the steering function. With this addition you could simulate getting hit with a big wind gust while riding a 90 mm deep front wheel. If you aren’t paying attention you get tossed on the floor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sathomasga wrote:

Tucked into the article:

Quote:

“What I do know is that we’re definitely doing more in tri. My life’s heavily revolved around another new product for the past year, though the world won’t see it until possibly later this.â€

Gonna throw out my own prediction: power meter, probably pedal-based (otherwise what was the point of acquiring Speedplay).

Nailed it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That thing looks sweet! Gonna get a pair for my track bike if that's anywhere near what it looks like it is.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Hopefully it is a power based speedplay.

If it is a Kickr-based product I think you just have to look at where the indoor cycling industry is going for clues. You have the Kickr climb, which does y-axis adjustments and the industry is moving towards adding steering adjustments (x-axis). A tri specific addition would be to add motors to the steering function. With this addition you could simulate getting hit with a big wind gust while riding a 90 mm deep front wheel. If you aren’t paying attention you get tossed on the floor.

It is also likely that Gerraint Thomas has requested a specific function to mimic riding over a discarded bidon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rule 1 for buying a power meter: unless you have a good reason, avoid low serial numbers.

Rule 1A: don't predicate a buying decision on an unreleased product. They don't yet even have serial numbers.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [RChung] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RChung wrote:
Rule 1 for buying a power meter: unless you have a good reason, avoid low serial numbers.

Rule 1A: don't predicate a buying decision on an unreleased product. They don't yet even have serial numbers.

You're objectively right, but if there's any company whose customer service I trust, it's Wahoo. I've been waiting years for a Speedplay PM; assuming the price isn't astronomical, I'll be buying them ASAP.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sathomasga wrote:
sathomasga wrote:

Tucked into the article:

Quote:

Nailed it.

Worlds first dual sided pedal based power meter...um what about Assiamo and Garmin??
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [dunno] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch. Image is probably a fake.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Maybe they mean dual sided as in you can clip in on both sides? Poor wording if so.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, I'd be kinda hyped about this if they were launching on Wednesday, long gone are the days you should announce something without having inventory for sail.

Conceptually, for all the shit I've said about Speedplay, this could get me to change pedal systems if they are affordable. And I mean like 400 or less.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Last edited by: TheStroBro: Mar 15, 21 17:30
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Possible, but marketing teams and firms don’t make those kinds of mistakes. They review and debate the press release copy months in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: New (Secret) Wahoo Product [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
So, I'd be kinda hyped about this if they were launching on Wednesday, long gone are the days you should announce something without having inventory for sail.

Conceptually, for all the shit I've said about Speedplay, this could get me to change pedal systems if they are affordable. And I mean like 400 or less.
Maybe with Wahoo money backing them they can charge a bit less, but considering the retail price on their pedals to begin with, that feels like a very, very long shot to me.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Maybe they mean dual sided as in you can clip in on both sides? Poor wording if so.

What about the SRM X-Power?

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
TheStroBro wrote:

Maybe with Wahoo money backing them they can charge a bit less, but considering the retail price on their pedals to begin with, that feels like a very, very long shot to me.

Honestly, not until now did I look at how much zeros cost. If I'm to extrapolate that. Then this could cost more than my Crank-Based Power Meter from Pioneer (wish I bought one for my roadie and I wouldn't be in this discussion!).

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply

Prev Next