Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

New "plush" road bikes.
Quote | Reply
My Giant TCR Aero has been a faithful steed, but is starting to show its age. I plan on rebuilding it as a dedicated tri/tt bike in the spring with a new 10sp drivetrain and cockpit. I'm going to ride it as is all winter (even in Canada) to maintain fitness and take what's left out of the current setup.

My accounts manager (wife) has given me the green light to buy a new road bike for myself for next summer. My goals are to ride almost exclusively for the summer of 2009. I will be in group rides twice a week of 50-80 miles and will try to get two 30 mile hilly ides in on my own. I will race the Giant in a weekly TT series near my work on Monday nights.

I'm thinking that one of the crop of new "plush" bikes might be a good option for the group rides and the occasional century. I won't be racing any crits or road races on it.

I'm going to get a proper fit done and that will guide my decision more than anything. But I thought ST could comment on some of the available bikes. The current list of suspects are

Cervelo RS
Giant Defy
Specialized Roubaix

These all come in similar spec for just under $4000.

I know lots of people will suggest S1 and P1 for the same money. But I think the more relaxed position will suit me better.

Thanks
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [Dave in Canada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my RS. The ride is incredible.

Jodi
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love my RS. The ride is incredible.

Ditto for the RS and also the R3 for that matter. Riding both of these bikes is an extraordinary sensation. They are both the stiffest bikes that I have ever ridden - when you jump on the pedals, the bike just jumps, while at the same time smoothing out road buzz and bumps. This phenomenon is most noticeable late in a ride ( after a few hours of riding) when you want to sprint or accelerate strongly, yet you are travelling over rough pavement at the time. On other bikes, you may be hunting for a smoother route through the rough spots or backing off a bit on the pedals to save your legs or your crotch, but with both the RS and the R3, you just keep powering away, with the rear wheel glued to the ground. It's an amazing sensation.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
for the same or less ching, you could secure yourself a boutique steel custom frame, built to ride exactly as you like. my wife recently scored a waterford rs-22 built with compliance and comfort in mind - it rides so sweet angels weep when she rips by.

racing and other such actions aside - as you state this isn't gonna be an all out racing machine, the truth is those bikes are biult with the old-skoolish ride of steel as the measuring stick. the bonus to such a ride from a waterford, sycip, desalvo, caletti, strong, IF, etc etc is this: these bikes are forever bikes - their handcrafted ultra-high workmanship is something that will never tarnish. the bikes you have listed - not so much.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My vote is for the Specialized Roubiax, nothing can beat that in vertical compliance.

Every day is Race day
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Roubaix is awesome. You cannot go wrong with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Cervelo RS is an awesome bike. You might want to look at the Felt Z series bikes as well.

scott
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The new Roubaix is supposed to have some pretty significant upgrades from previous years. I'm looking to upgrade my road bike soon and the Roubaix (and Tarmac) are definitely on my list of bikes to test ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since your Dave in Canada, you should try this.

http://www.devinci.ca/10972_an.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got a Look 585 that a nice all-rounder. You can get the frame at Excel for $2200, a set of their Swiss Threat wheels for about $650 (lighter and stronger than Ksyriums) and still have $1150 for the rest of the build kit. Ultega SL from Totalcycling looks good to me.

I have this bike built way light (14.03 lbs) in an XL and have ridden centuries on it. I'm 6 ft and 180 -- not as fat as I used to be!

hth
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [T mon T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That thought has crossed my mind. There is a company (True North Cycles) in Guelph Ontario that hand builds steel and Ti bikes. I think for $3000 they could do somthing amazing for me.

The problem is, I'm not sure I want to get into a custom frame. The boutique factor is very cool, but there is some concern for me at the same time. I have dealt with custom stuff in other hobbies and it is cool, but time consuming. Off the shelf is not as cool, but convenience is a factor for me.

Thanks ot others for their feedback so far. I'll be testing the different bikes over the winter and will be on the right on come April.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just purchased an Argon18 Gallium. I also test rode a Cervelo R3 and Cervelo RS.

So far only have about 200 miles on it, but its a great all-around bike. Comfy, but stiff. Certainly one to consider.

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're not going to race it, I'd go swanky swanky and get a custom steel or Ti. If you really cant be bothered with custom, how about an off the shelf gunnar (weatherford made) and go with a custom paint job. The PPG paint that they use is top notch and will make your bike yours. I've got a gunnar in the stable as well as an SLC and P2C. The steel does ride way, way better than plastics - E

The color that I have is cinnamon candy over fine gold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have an RS and am pretty happy with it. It's my winter bike since I have fancier things for the summer. My LBS also sells Specialized and I asked about the Roubaix but he thought it was nothing special compared to the RS. It was also easy to get an RS frame since I'm a Campy guy and had most of the parts I needed. I think both are good bikes (and the Giant probably is too since it will come from the same factory as the Specialized) so I'd select at least partially on the strength of the dealer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If "plush" is what you want I doubt you will find anything better than a TitanFlex. It floats over rough pavement. Tom is a pleasure to deal with.

Formerly DrD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'll second the Look 585....That said, the Felt Z series are supposed to be pretty nice too.

Bob
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Roubaix is like riding on butter. 5, 6, 7, 8 hours, still comfy as all heck. I never want to get off. It does especially well on rough roads.

I have an 07 women's model (the Ruby).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know a few guys who ride true norths and love them.. i personally think they look fantastic..
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [Macho Grande] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've ridden my son's 585. It's a nice race bike, but it's not "plush" like my RS or my Parlee Z1. Besides, he's in Canada and our ability here to take advantage of good internet deals such as a $2200 585 (a great deal since I paid more than that for a crash replacement last year) are limited by the border.
Quote Reply
Re: New "plush" road bikes. [c50jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I suppose it depends on what you mean by plush....If you mean relaxed geomtery (Tall hed tube) then sure the 585 doesn't exactly qualify though it's HT is taller.

But, if you mean plush, silky smooth, road shock absorping, nice on the do-dads ride, then the 585 does qualify.

Bob
Quote Reply