Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Never Reach drink system review
Quote | Reply
I put down $100 and bought one of those funky looking Never Reach drink systems. I installed it yesterday and took it for a spin today. Here are my observations:

1. The advertised weight of 10.3 ounces is a joke. My unit weighs in at well over one pound. I can see how they might get it down under 10 ounces at some point. All of the parts are over built. The attachment system to the back of the saddle has much more metal than necessary and the water container itself is thick plastic. It seems like it should be water bottle type plastic rather than chlorine jug type plastic.

2. The system is difficult to install. It took me over one hour to hook everything up. I had to move my saddle to give me room to install the various clamps. I guess these saddle rail clamp attachments are tough to do. This hook up was tougher than the X Lab. I did get everything hooked up though, was able to move the saddle back to the proper position, and it seems mechanically sound.

3. The refill method is quite ingenious. You put a water bottle right into the top of the container. There is a garbage disposal type rubber housing that swallows the bottle. It prevents water from leaking out when there is no bottle. Well executed.

4. The hookup for getting the straw up to the rider is not the greatest. I did manage to get it properly positioned, though I might add a piece of metal to stiffen the end of the tube.

5. Drinking from it is a bit of an effort. It is no problem when you are going easy, but it is a little tough when you are working hard. Still, the mouth piece works well, and the flow is reasonable given the length of the tube through which you suck the water.

I really like front mounted drink systems, but they cause me trouble in windy conditions, and they are probably not aerodynamic. They are lighter, simpler, and easier to use. I do a couple of triathlons and a 40K TT in Florida every year. Wind is usually a factor. Hills are not a factor, so neither is weight. I am going to use the Never Reach in these races. The first race is next week and I will let you know how it goes. I can't see using this in IM Lake Placid though because of the weight. Hauling extra weight up those hills is not my idea of fun, but stronger riders probably wouldn't care.

According to the reviews, this system will make your bike more aerodynamic just by being mounted. I have no idea if this is true, but I can see how it might be.

I had no trouble mounting or dismounting the bike with this system attached. I probably would have, if a water bottle were stuck in the top though. I would hate to trip up on the way into T2.

You can buy the product through their web site at www.neverreach.com. I have no affiliation with the company.

Thirsty in Florida,
Quote Reply
Re: Never Reach drink system review [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What kind of seat do you have? Evidently there is trouble mounting these w/ selle italia saddles.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Reach drink system review [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the San Selle Marco Azoto trigel saddle on a Cervelo P3. It was a pain to mount, but nothing 30 minutes of fussing didn't cure.
Quote Reply
Re: Never Reach drink system review [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually thinking of the Neverreach today, right after my Minoura behind-the-seat bottle holder suddenly turned into a missile launcher when I hit a really nasty expansion joint. I almost took out another biker behind me but he thankfully swerved in time and missed my bottles. I'd be very curious to hear a few more reviews before I plunk down $100 on another drink system. I've tried front mounted, behind the seat, on the frame, and each have their fatal flaws- either ergonomic or aerodynamic (or safety of fellow riders!)

Question for the aero hounds- if the real aero killer for the front-mounted bottles is the straw (as stated in other forum topics) why would the Neverreach be any better? It looks like you'd still have a big straw sticking up in the air. Granted the reservoir is now behind the seat, but I didn't get the impression that the bottles were really the problem, just the straw. Any comments?

PS- Thanks Art for the great review.
Last edited by: jkatsoudas: Mar 29, 03 21:34
Quote Reply
Re: Never Reach drink system review [jkatsoudas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, the drinking straw sticks up big time with the Never Reach system. It must be worse than a regular front mounted drink system since the tube is quite long and needs to be structrally supported by a sleeve. The compensation for this drag would have to come from the drink system itself. It is shaped to reconnect the airflow off the rider so as to reduce the turbulance that slows you down. Whether it actually does this, I have no idea. Whether this would more than compensate for the drag from the straw, I have no idea.

Thirsty in Florida,
Quote Reply