Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need to buy cold water swimming accessories (NYC)
Quote | Reply
Hello everyone.

I'm a recent reader of this forum, and finding it very helpful. I was wondering if anyone can help me with a recommendation.

On December I'll be racing the Xtri Patagonman in Chile. I'm expecting to find tough cold conditions there, especially on the swimming part of the race (I'm from Brazil, so I'm not used to cold water swimming). The neoprene cap is mandatory, but I'm also thinking about buying neoprene booties and gloves.

As you can imagine it's not easy to find such accessories here in Brazil, but next week I'll be in NYC, where I believe will be easier to buy them.

Can you help me with good recommendation of stores where I may find this items for sale? I'm planing to visit Paragon Sports and Jack Rabbit, but I was hoping to find a more specialized swimming store.

Thanks so much!
Quote Reply
Re: Need to buy cold water swimming accessories (NYC) [guidobrunelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello, You may first want to check with the race organizers to see if they permit glove and booties, but I am sure they will permit and even encourage swim caps. We make one of the finest:

https://www.desotosport.com/...suit-rubber-swim-cap

To stay extra warm, try this:

A TIP FROM EMILIO: Swimming in really cold water? Try Emilio's GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap Sandwich
Ingredients: 1 GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap, 2 latex rubber or silicone swim caps.
  1. Put on the first latex rubber swim cap. Make sure it covers your temples and forehead.
  2. Put on the GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap over the first latex swim cap. Again and more importantly, make sure it covers your temples and forehead and that it sits just above your eyebrows as shown in the photo. This will eliminate "Brain Freeze", or "Ice Cream Headache."
  3. Finally put on the last latex cap. Make sure it covers the front and back of the GreenGomaâ„¢ Swim Cap.

Emilio De Soto II
Maker of triathlon clothing, T1 Wetsuits, & Saddle Seat Pads and AXS since 1990
emilio@desotosport.com http://www.desotosport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Need to buy cold water swimming accessories (NYC) [guidobrunelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm racing Norseman this year and have similar requirements. I just bought the Huub neoprene socks and am impressed with the quality. Only comment is the velcro strap doesn't quite pull them tight around my ankles, but it will probably be ok if I tuck them under my wetsuit legs.

I'm looking at either the Huub or Zone3 skull cap. Blueseventy also do one which is well reviewed. If you really want to keep the water off Huub do a balaclava which includes a shroud that goes under the neck of the wetsuit.

I doubt you'll be allowed gloves. Norseman don't allow them, possibly because the ITU do not permit gloves and Norseman is raced under local federation (NTF) rules.

Good luck!!

Cheers, Rich.
Quote Reply
Re: Need to buy cold water swimming accessories (NYC) [Emilio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Emilio. Thanks for the tip. I checked at your website and it looks like it may fit my needs very well.
Quote Reply
Re: Need to buy cold water swimming accessories (NYC) [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:
Hi,

I'm racing Norseman this year and have similar requirements. I just bought the Huub neoprene socks and am impressed with the quality. Only comment is the velcro strap doesn't quite pull them tight around my ankles, but it will probably be ok if I tuck them under my wetsuit legs.

I'm looking at either the Huub or Zone3 skull cap. Blueseventy also do one which is well reviewed. If you really want to keep the water off Huub do a balaclava which includes a shroud that goes under the neck of the wetsuit.

I doubt you'll be allowed gloves. Norseman don't allow them, possibly because the ITU do not permit gloves and Norseman is raced under local federation (NTF) rules.

Good luck!!

Cheers, Rich.

Hi there,

I checked the race manual, and they permit gloves and booties if the water temperature is below 12ºC, which I'm pretty sure it will be.

The balaclava is a good idea. I wasn't thinking about it.

Good luck on your Norseman race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you can't go wrong with DeSoto products, I have their trisuit and bike shorts, the quality is excellent!
Quote Reply