Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel
Quote | Reply
Tired of flats with my current mavic rim/wheel due to a seam issue - filing it down is just frustrating me because everytime I think it's "smooth", I pop in a new tube, get her up to pressure and head out on a ride and 30min - 1.5hrs into the ride pop goes the tube (everytime!!! - 7 tubes in 6 rides now) - URGGGG - the time I'm wasting messing with this thing isn't worth it - I simply need a new rear wheel for training. I'm hoping to get a nice racing set of wheels in the next 6 months - 'til then I simply rent when the race matters (ie. Clearwater) but right now I've got 5 weeks of lots of volume on lots of hills in lots of heat and need a wheel that will works. Quite frankly, I like training on somewhat junky wheels (BUT BOMB-PROOF AND RIDEABLE) so that when I put the same effort forward on race day on the ZIPPs, my bike split is SMOKIN'! I need to order something today - sharing a rear wheel with my hubby didn't work so well this morning when he wanted to go ride and I was hoping to ride on the trainer while the kids slept...
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [trimilf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Hed trispoke is bombproof and can be found for a reasonable price on the slowtwitch classifieds.
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [trimilf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to nashbar.com and buy their cheapest wheels. Cheap wheels are usually bombproof because the cheap materials are strong materials
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could try the Mavic Aksiums...not terrible looking at all, and very rock solid. Wheelset for around 200, and have seen the rear at performance bikes for just over 100. Also try to find the Mavic CXP22: Heavy, solid, cheap. I've used both as successful training wheels.

Riding the Awesome Train With: Dark Horse Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been impressed by the Forte Titan. I think they can be had for about $75:
http://www.performancebike.com/..._10551_1034379_-1___

I mean, serious races may scoff at it, but the stickers come off pretty easily. :)

Edit: Performance is doing a sale, and an Ultegra / Open Pro build (legendary among people who train all day, every day) is $120.
http://www.performancebike.com/...06_-1_400038_400002_
Last edited by: persondude27: Sep 29, 10 8:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why are you getting flats? Are you using good cloth rim tape? If so, I do not understand what seam on a rim could be causing flats. David K
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Why are you getting flats? Are you using good cloth rim tape? If so, I do not understand what seam on a rim could be causing flats. David K

times 2

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rim tape is good quality and in fine condition -the seam has actually gotten jagged (ever so slightly) above where the rim tape lies - on the inside - I tried filing it down and even tried smoothing it further with some electrical tape covering it. It's right on the seam of the rim and the flat is the same everytime and is always a full blowout, not just a puncture. My theory is that the joint is expanding more as I ride and the wheel heats and then when I hit a bump just right - POP! I'm with you - I really think it should be fixable, but quite frankly, the cost of $120 for a new wheel is much less expensive than more lost/shortened training ride (I'm too deep into training cycle for Clearwater to jeopardize any more of my longer efforts - I can't just "make up 2 hours" later in the week with the juggling of work and kids) not to mention the cost of going back and forth to the bike shop that is 30 min from my house each way... However, if you have a suggestion I'll give it a go but I gotta tell you last Wed about set me over the edge when I had everything dialed in and lined up for a 2 hr ride followed by a Tempo run thinking my wheel was fixed only to get the mega flat in the first 7 min of the ride and it's not like normal when you just switch out the tube and you know you are good to go again...2 weeks ago, I switched it out and 5 miles later Pop again and that time I had to sit on the side of the road until my riding partner finished his ride and came back and got me in the car...Not that I'm bitter or fed up or anything ;)
Last edited by: trimilf: Sep 29, 10 9:52
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As mentioned above, if you have good rim tape properly installed and have checked the inside of the tire for potential culprits then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are looking for a good set of training wheels check out the Neuvation M28 Aero - cheap, strong, good looking.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mavic Open Pros. cheap and reliable. check out colorado cyclist.

Quote | Reply
x2. Best training wheels are Mavic Open Pros. Ultegra hubs are good, and get 28 or 32 spokes. Should last you 20 years for $300/set.
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As mentioned above, if you have good rim tape properly installed and have checked the inside of the tire for potential culprits then you shouldn't have a problem.

If you are looking for a good set of training wheels check out the Neuvation M28 Aero - cheap, strong, good looking.

+1. I bought a set of these and I'm very happy with them. They're tough. I'm 180+ and bunny hops are not unheard of. I've got about 500 mi on mine, and they're still true, still look good. $350 for the set.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [Hounddog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So you have your wheels how long? 3 weeks? Let us know how they are when you get to 7500 miles.
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [Bigkens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

X a kabillion. I dare you to try and break an OpenPro.

BicycleWheelWarehouse.com

~ $275 shipped to your door on Ultegra hubs
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [Hoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For $175, if I get only 5000 mi, then I'm calling it a good buy. You'd spend more than that on supplements & drinks. Get some perspective.

Punching cockroaches from day 1.
http://www.tri-junkie.com/
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trimilf, (haha - did I just type that?),

I like my Mavic Ksyrium Equipes (spelling?). Not the cheapest wheelset out there but I ride 'em hard over all kinds of crud/potholes and for some gnarly winter cyclocross racing in Norcal and they never need truing. They're reasonably light and have NO tube-popping seams on the rims. I too have been there/done that/hate it...never mind your offending wheel is also a Mavic :0

Life's too short to put up with flat tires.
Last edited by: cth: Sep 29, 10 15:40
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [Hoffman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
So you have your wheels how long? 3 weeks? Let us know how they are when you get to 7500 miles.

I have 4 years on mine and they are doing great.
Quote Reply
Re: Need most cost effective bomb-proof, durable rear wheel [Bigkens] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

32 spoke ftw!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agree with the recs for the Forte Titans from Performance as I ran them on 2 bikes this year. Check the price and specs anyway, they might work very well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

2000 miles of a 200+ lb rider on NYC roads (eg: potholes that swallow cars) on my neuvation m28's with no issues and they're still perfectly true. Excellent value at sub $300 for the set shipped to my door.
Quote Reply