Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help with race nutrition for 1/2 IM race
Quote | Reply
G'day,

I have my first 1/2 IM race coming up August 17 in Oahu, Hawaii, where I live. I have been doing tri's for 12 months now, but all have been Olympic distance or sprints. Nutrition on these shorter courses has never been a problem for me - maybe a gel and sports drink and I was good to go.

I have Gordo's book entitled "Going Long" which addresses IM distance race nutrition BUT I am looking for some advice for 1/2 IM distance race nutrition.

I train with gels, Cytomax and water, and I figure this is what I will also use on race day BUT since I have not done a 1/2 IM race before will it be enough for race day?

Heat is a concern (but I am used to it), and the course is tough (tougher than Keauhou-Kona 1/2 IM I am told) but I train on the course, so that is okay. Whilst I am not setting a time-goal for this race, I am capable of a sub-5 hour race if all goes well - with race nutrition being my main concern.

Thanks in advance for any/all comments.

"Hairy Legs"
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with race nutrition for 1/2 IM race [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I do half IMs I try to make sure I get 380-400 calories per hour on the bike. I used to go with Gels and sports drink. Now for a half I'll just use Carbo-Pro mixed in with a sports drink. Then I typically grab a gel for the run and consume whatever sports drink they have on the course. A banana or 2 helps along the way. For me, the key is not getting depleted on the bike and starting the run with a full tank. The run is long, but not so long that you can't get away with skimping a bit.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with race nutrition for 1/2 IM race [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't have a lot of experience with it yet, but the best thing I have done so far is to mix 11 two ounce scoops of Carbopro in a 24 oz water bottle. Your only nutrition job on the bike is to get the bottle down along with as much water as you can stomach. Very simple, very easy. This will give you about 1200 calories, but it basically tastes like water and is very easy to get down.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help with race nutrition for 1/2 IM race [Hairy Legs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out the 1/2 IM articles in the Gordo Tips section at Gordoworld.com:

http://www.byrn.org/gtips.htm

I pretty much followed Gordo's and Wy's advice and did fine in my first 1/2 IM last year.
Quote Reply