Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a new digital camera?
Quote | Reply
I bought a new to me computer finally. PIII 1000mhz 256 ram 20g running win2000. Unfortunately my digital camera was older than my old computer. I checked the makers website, my camera software would run with a patch on XP, there is no patch for win2000. Camera is good though a bit large for a point and shoot. My choices are keep the camera and buy a card reader so I can still use it, or buy a new camera. Card reader is cheap, $45. I would like a new camera though. So here is my qualifications. Would like it to fit in a jersey pocket so I can take pictures during a long race. Easy to use, compatible with win2000. The biggie is inexpensive, as in really cheap. Any suggestions? things to avoid? Also I will TSR the old camera if someone is in need.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new digital camera? [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pick up a good used one on Ebay...you can find things like the Canon S50 or digital elph (whatever the number scheme is these days)...for really little $ as folks upgrade to the latest and greatest...I'm a Canon SLR/DLSR/Digicam user myself with 4 total cameras/systems. But you should also look at things like Pentax Optio as well...these are just as small as the Elph style digicams...this makes them easy to stuff in a jersey pocket. Avoid feeling like you are going to be missing something having "only" 4 or 5 megapixels...this is plenty for most folks...stay small...you really need a full SLR style cam to be able to tell a difference in quality...the smaller digicams have plenty of quality and are portable...look at the Sony P-series as well...these are equally carryable...and to some, have a more pleasing default color balance (being slightly saturated)...any of these will serve you well. Do your homework on pricing...watch a few Ebay auctions of the model you are considering to see what they are going for...You should be able to find a decent deal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
have you seen the Sony CyberShot DSC-U60? it is waterproof (can take underwater video) and jersey pocket size. no zoom though... my buddy has one; I want one too. Dont know if anything cooler has taken its place...
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new digital camera? [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ebay is good, any opinions on this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3875790826&fromMakeTrack=true

That would be about my price range and the same camera is $129 further down the list on ebay.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
go for it man.........Nikon D70. only camera that can make a amateur take professional pictures. unbelievable high speed action shooting 1/8000 sec with over 40 frames per sec.

-------------------------------------------------
Latest Duct tape QR Superfull fashion model
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new digital camera? [yeahitsgotahemi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"only camera that can make a amateur take professional pictures."

Good thing this isn't a photo forum...a statement like that can get you an inferno-like flamejob in those circles... ;->

For those that didn't notice...the original poster made "inexpensive" one of his criteria...and if you read further...I'd guess he's looking to only spend a couple hundred $...and you aren't going to get any kind of DSLR for that...besides...DSLRs aren't the most practical type of camera for most folks...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Canon A series. We bought an A70 about 2 years ago (when it was the top model) and it's been a great buy. Easy to use, with enough options and settings to keep any geek happy. Does short film clips too (30sec). Unless you want SLR, the Canon is a really dependable, lower cost camera.

My 2 cents
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a good chance the patch for XP will work on Win2K as well. They're both NT-based operating systems, not a whole lot different. I'd give it a try. Certainly a lot cheaper than a new camera.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
agree with the cannon a series. we have the a75 and love it!
Quote Reply