Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need a new Garmin but which one?
Quote | Reply
I'm still using a Garmin 910XT although its finally on its last legs.
I'm looking at a 920XT as a replacement or the newer 735 or 935 worth the extra ?
Last edited by: IMF: Nov 3, 19 14:20
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you listen to music while you run the 945 is worth every penny. Otherwise the 935 does most of the same stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get at least a 735XT or 935, because those will likely stay compatible with Connect IQ longer. the 920XT is already starting to be obsolete.

If you need full IM, then your choices are either the 935 or 945. Otherwise, all three are good. I had a 735XT and that watch was great. It was my best Garmin to date. I got a 945 at release, and have no complaints. It has a bigger and better screen and more glitzy features than the 735XT. The only downsides are the 945 is slightly heavier and thicker. I really do not notice that much.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks a lot....What do you use Connect IQ for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only use it for a Stryd widget. Others load all kinds of things. Oh yeah, and custom watch faces, though I do not use my 945 as a daily wear device, so the watch face is not as big a deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but which one? [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would go for the 935, had it for a couple of years and it works great. Only reason to get the 945 instead would be the Music - tested it once, But I Think Spotify on my phone still works better for me. And the Garmin Wallet if you use the watch every day. Other than that, pretty much the same. Features like training status in Garmin connect Will be a little different
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree. Love my 945. I was very harsh about previous iterations of Garmin music. I don't know what changed in the 945 but the music quality connection is now virtually perfect. Add that to the wrist HR and (for most runs), that reduces the amount of stuff you "need" to run with which is a win in my book. If you don't want music, 935 is great too.
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I would get at least a 735XT or 935, because those will likely stay compatible with Connect IQ longer. the 920XT is already starting to be obsolete.

If you need full IM, then your choices are either the 935 or 945. Otherwise, all three are good. I had a 735XT and that watch was great. It was my best Garmin to date. I got a 945 at release, and have no complaints. It has a bigger and better screen and more glitzy features than the 735XT. The only downsides are the 945 is slightly heavier and thicker. I really do not notice that much.

Depends on the price tag they're looking at. 920 isn't obsolete, still works perfectly fine, and I have friends still using theirs in full IM.

945 is really only for people who care about either music without a phone, contactless payment, or wrist HRM that is slightly improved. If those are priorities go for it. Also to throw in my experience I've had to hard reset already once because of an issue where my battery drained in under an hour... so far it still works. And the treadmill sensor is a genuine POS that they're still yet to release an update for from anything I've read.

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
exxxviii wrote:

Depends on the price tag they're looking at. 920 isn't obsolete, still works perfectly fine, and I have friends still using theirs in full IM.

945 is really only for people who care about either music without a phone, contactless payment, or wrist HRM that is slightly improved. If those are priorities go for it. Also to throw in my experience I've had to hard reset already once because of an issue where my battery drained in under an hour... so far it still works. And the treadmill sensor is a genuine POS that they're still yet to release an update for from anything I've read.

Not much to add to what's already been said, except the music aspect is pretty sweet if you like listening while you run. It works flawlessly on my Fenix and it's easy to upload your Spotify playlist.

The treadmill issue doesn't seem to be with only one model so wouldn't take that into consideration when choosing. I have the issue as well which is a slight nuisance, but I just edit my workout in TP and Connect. If only Strava realized it's almost 2020 and would let you edit a treadmill workout..
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but whihc one? [ChasingPB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChasingPB wrote:
920 isn't obsolete, still works perfectly fine, and I have friends still using theirs in full IM.
My context above was Connect IQ. In that sense, the 920XT is obsolete.The 920XT has been discontinued for over two years, and it stopped getting the current Connect IQ updates a year or two ago. But, as a fitness tracking device, it still performs splendidly when you can find good new-old-stock at a good price.
Last edited by: exxxviii: Nov 4, 19 5:32
Quote Reply
Re: Need a new Garmin but which one? [IMF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given how long you keep stuff based on that 915- I would say getting the 945 would be smart as it has all the current features, Connect IQ app support and improvements, and will be supported by Garmin the longest with new improvements and firmware.
Quote Reply