Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Flexibility
Quote | Reply
Now that it's the off season I've decided I need to improve my flexibility. I'm tight to the point that I can't ride more than three hours without a lot of pain in my glutes and lower back. I realize that it could be a couple of things, but I'm pretty certain that I'm just too tight in my legs and lower back even though I spend a fair amount of time stretching. Can anyone recommend a good pilates or yoga DVD? Looking for something focused on strengthening the core and increasing flexibility, not aerobic or dance oriented. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Flexibility [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
try this guy

http://cyclo-core.com

ken
trying to act like a runner
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out the book "Stretching" by Bob Anderson. Good luck.

-----------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi TriDad, I asked this question last week and decided on the DVDs listed below. I think I prefer pilates over yoga because yoga is a bit boring to me, but I can see the advantage of both. I like all of these so far and can't believe how inflexible I was!

Yoga for Athletes with Rodney Yee http://www.amazon.com/...s=video&n=507846

Core Essential Pilates with Karen Voight http://www.amazon.com/...v=glance&s=video

and a book which I fairly excited about:

The Core Performance http://www.amazon.com/...s=books&n=507846
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I tried the DVD thing and stretching on my own -- I couldn't do it. I mean I can go run for three hours or bike for 5 hours and love it -- but stretching for 15 minutes -- forget it. I would always forget or find an excuse not to do it.

Soooooooo....

I signed up for a yoga class -- since I paid for it -- that makes me go. Plus, I have someone pushing me. Plus, there is plenty of motivation to look at in the class. Plus, I do it with my wife and it is great to have something to do together.

I would sign up for a yoga class.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Flexibility [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Sparticus. There's a class at my local gym (I'm a member) and I'm thinking of checking it out, but it's only on Saturdays. I was also looking for something I could do during the week on my lunch hour. I figure I can go home and put in a DVD on Tues./Thurs. If I hit the class on Saturdays too I should be good and loose by Spring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You would probably benefit the most from a good massage therapist working on you and stretching you. I have worked on endurance athletes for 13 years, am a therapst and strength coach. I find that cyclists tend to have very weak low backs, more overstretched than tight, hamstrings that are underconditioned in the stretched position, with extremely tight hip flexors. Work your hams and glutes with stiff legged deadlifts and any of the recommendations on core strength will cover all of the basic exercises. Also stretch your hipflexors in a deep lunge position as often as you can after a good warmup of the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Need Flexibility [westielvr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much for the great advice Westielvr. I just started doing stiff legged dead lifts so I'll keep doing them. Is there something I can do for my lower back other than work on my glutes and hams? I've been doing back extensions, supermans (flat on the floor raising arms and legs), and dead lifts. Are you equating overstretched with weak (meaning strength vs. flexibility)? Or is my lower back pain more a function of what's going on with my glutes and hamstrings? Thanks again for your thoughts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're lower back pain has alot to do with tight hipflexors more than glutes and hams. Conitinue hyperextensions on the stability ball but do not go too far back, just a bit past a straight body but hold the position and lower slowly. In addition , hold a flexed position as well so the lower back is supporting you from falling but you are bent over a bit, much like the way the lower back works during a dead lift, it is stretched but working keep you up and stable.

Also, alternate these static holds with adding rotation during your hyperextensions when you do them dynamically. Side bridges also called side planks are excellent also.Do them EVERDAY. Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: Need Flexibility [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I tried the DVD thing and stretching on my own -- I couldn't do it. I mean I can go run for three hours or bike for 5 hours and love it -- but stretching for 15 minutes -- forget it. I would always forget or find an excuse not to do it.

Soooooooo....

I signed up for a yoga class -- since I paid for it -- that makes me go. Plus, I have someone pushing me. Plus, there is plenty of motivation to look at in the class. Plus, I do it with my wife and it is great to have something to do together.

I would sign up for a yoga class.
Quote Reply