Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Advice: My pedals/shoes are totally screwed
Quote | Reply

My very old shoes blew up on a recent training ride. Bought a pair of the new Shimano TR01s. My pedals are the bottom of the line Looks that came with my wife's Bianchi. The straps of my shoes are now rubbing (ever so slightly) aginst the crank (FSA Carbons) and i have a little bit of soreness in my right ankle.

I have red Look cleats and feel like I used to have a bit more float with my old shoes. I feel very locked in now. Part of that is just getting used to the new shoes; my old ones didn't fit very well. But something doesn't feel right.

I tried moving the cleat as far to the outside of the shoes as possible while keeping it straight but I'm still rubbing on the crank (that sounds dirty, eh Tibbs?).

Questions: what the hell should I do? This ever happened to anyone else? What did you do?

Also, I've been thinking about getting either a pair of Speedplay Zeros (cromo) or the Shimano Ultegra's. Anybody ride these and have thoughts?

I need to get this whole mess figured out asap but I don't want to make a bad move cause I'm in a hurry. Got a half IM coming and I need to get back on the road.

Any advice is appreciated.

SM
Quote Reply
Re: Need Advice: My pedals/shoes are totally screwed [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SPD SL, Ultegra or DA.

I used Look for years, and finally got fed up with:
- They wear out way too fast
- They squeak which drove me nuts (which may explain certain behaviors exhibited here)
- It's tough to push off from an uphill stop light

The SLs fix all of these. There is virtually no break-in time. If you're used to Looks, the SLs will feel natural by the end of your first ride. Getting out of them takes just a little more effort. They feel more positively engaged, the bottoms are walkable and the little rubber tips give you traction when starting and THEY DON'T SQUEAK!!

So far they're out-wearing the Look cleats dramatically.

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Re: Need Advice: My pedals/shoes are totally screwed [skid marks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't know about the look pedals But I have zeroes and love them... fell so much more solid than with teh Looks and I have never pulled out of my zeroes which would happen with looks with worn cleats... the cleat mounting also allows for much greater lateral play thatn the looks I say go for them
Quote Reply
Re: Need Advice: My pedals/shoes are totally screwed [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Thanks.

Speedplays have more lateral play? Is that bad? Does your foot being "further" away from the crank affect power?

Was looking at the Zero review on Tom D.'s website -- he mentioned the speedplays mount flusher than Looks. Which means I'm going to have to drop my seat as well, right?

SM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the cleat can be moved further laterally... no lateral play in teh pedal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I tried moving the cleat as far to the outside of the shoes as possible while keeping it straight but I'm still rubbing on the crank..."

If you're rubbing the crank arm, wouldn't you want to move the cleats to the inside of the shoe? This would move the shoe itself farther away from the crank arm.
Quote Reply