Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Neat product: marathon pace band
Quote | Reply
I used to make these for myself by printing them (there's a website for that) and then "laminating" with wide scotch tape. I am somewhat confused how these guys will get a patent considering there's a ton of "prior art" but the idea is neat.

source

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [Sixth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The 20th century called - it wants it's pacing technology back.

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Given the amount of gps watches I hear beeping constantly these days, not sure the market for this. Not to mention it seems just about every marathon has pacing groups with someone running with the sign, so just stay with the group. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [Hydro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least this technology doesn't get stuck "searching for satellites" when it matters most.

Velosurance - bicycle insurance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sixth wrote:
At least this technology doesn't get stuck "searching for satellites" when it matters most.

True dat... I should've put my OP in pink, I suppose - it was intended to be be more of a joke rather than an outright smart-ass response.

My only beef with this style of pace bands is that they are difficult to read/interpret in the heat of battle. This design here is an improvement over the old-school freebie tyvek pace bands handed out at expos, I'll give it that.

Cheers, Chris

Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty happy with my GPS watch with HR. Besides, hard ot use hard pace targets in a 70.3 or 140.6. Too many vairables including terrain, weather, nutrition, etc. Running off the bike, sometimes you are forced into negative splits anyway by going a little slower at the start ot "get your legs back"

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of marathons/half marathons give these to you for free at the expo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done on my own with a super-secret high tech material known as a Sharpie applied to my forearm.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never use them, but dont most races account for hills on their pace bands and vary the pace accordingly?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do something similar on the bike laying out big climbs (distance to start/top) etc... Maybe I can take this idea and finally retire ;)

Rodney
TrainingPeaks | Altra Running | RAD Roller
http://www.goinglong.ca
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I've done on my own with a super-secret high tech material known as a Sharpie applied to my forearm.

Shhh! Now EVERYBODY is going to know about it!
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [cds01] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, but they sometimes do not have it for all the paces.

At the Boston Marathon expo last year, I asked for a 3:00 band and they said that the fastest one that they have was 3:15 (or something like that). You'd figure that at a race like Boston they would have more of the faster ones, but they don't.

At the MCM a few years back, I asked for a 3:05 band ... nada.

cds01 wrote:
A lot of marathons/half marathons give these to you for free at the expo.

Quote | Reply
They spent money/time on a patent in order for people to avoid doing a little math every 6+ minutes? The math is more fun than listening to my body whining and the doubts in my head.

------------------------------
The first time man split the atom was when the atom tried to hold Jens Voigt's wheel, but cracked.
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [BigDig] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have the time and energy to proper math in your head at the later miles of the marathon, you're not running fast enough ;)

BigDig wrote:
They spent money/time on a patent in order for people to avoid doing a little math every 6+ minutes? The math is more fun than listening to my body whining and the doubts in my head.

Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:
If you have the time and energy to proper math in your head at the later miles of the marathon, you're not running fast enough ;)

BigDig wrote:

I got fuzzy-headed in the last couple of miles of the Sarasota HM this year. I had been using my Timex Ironman watch to take my splits at each of the mile markers and figure out where I was relative to my target pace and was doing a lot of "what ifs" in my head. But by mile eleven I remember just staring at it like it was Greek and not being able to process what any of it meant. I was so confused that I even hit the lap button at the last water station for whatever reason. Having a pace band wouldn't have helped a that point...

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sixth wrote:
or have to deal with GPS miles varying widely from race miles.

Even with a GPS watch the band could be helpful. There is no easy way to calculate ahead/behind time based on road mile markers. All you can do is manually split the miles and determine how you were running that given mile.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Neat product: marathon pace band [zoom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zoom wrote:

BigDig wrote:

Your only goal in the later miles is to make good on the math that you did before you forgot your name and where you were going.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Linear pace bands are only useful on flat courses and those are typically free at the expo. So unless the course was flat AND these were free ... I would have no use for them.

I analyze the course and adjust my projected pace for each mile. Then I use a sharpie to write my cumulative time for every 5 miles on my arm.
Quote Reply