Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Naturally high HR
Quote | Reply
I am always hearing people talking about long runs with their HR in the 120 range

I have been training for 10 years and can barley get out of the car without hr at 110

My easy runs normally around 145-150 and intervals around 175

Anyone naturally this high?

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Re: Naturally high HR [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My LT (lactate threshold) is around 180. I keep light runs in the 140s and 150s. In the last 1/2 of the 10K in an Olympic distance I am between 200 and 210 BPM. I try to keep my HR under 170 during the bike portion of races. There is no standard HR. Our bodies all react in different ways to endurance athletic events.

I would strongly suggest doing a lactate threshold test and figuring out when you go anaerobic and how fast you can run aerobically and how long/fast you can hold an anaerobic pace. I used to run the 800 and 1500 meter races in college and so I have a very high anaerobic capacity, probably as high as any triathlete. However, my aerobic capacity is lower than it needs to be.

Learning this has helped me adjust my training. I have slowed down all my runs except one interval workout a week in order to keep my HR low and focus on improving my aerobic capacity. My goal is to run 7:20 minute miles for a marathon and stay aerobic. I have about 25 seconds more per mile to go to get there. This is not triathlon aerobic pace as the swim and bike cause my threshold to be slower per mile based on a factor of how many cumulative minutes I was anaerobic on the swim and bike.

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're not alone. My numbers are pretty much the same as Sanrafaeltri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 52 years old and my heart rate is almost always around 178 when I am running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roll me in with the others - if I'm running, like at all, my heart rate goes straight to 150. If I go veeeeery easily (like 9:00 pace) I can maybe get into the 140s. Any sort of tempo work puts me into the 160s. Marathon pace puts me into the 170s. It doesn't seem to matter though; I can run plenty long for marathon training. Funnily enough, on the bike I can do easy rides at 120.

What's your actual resting heart rate, like not getting out of the car? Mine is higher than most here; it's finally down to around 60, but I know most of the people around here (including my wife) have RHR down in the 40s.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm similar to you and previous posters. My 38 years old. My easy runs are around 140-50s. My run HR average was 148 at my last 140.6 (consistent pace and didn't blow up). My threshold is probably in the mid 170s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have several friends that are in that range. I think it's normal.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
intervals around 175
175 is nothing. I hit 190 during intervals. Some of us are built like a high revving Honda while others are built like a diesel.
Quote Reply
Re: Naturally high HR [RichardL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RichardL wrote:
surfNJmatt wrote:
intervals around 175

175 is nothing. I hit 190 during intervals. Some of us are built like a high revving Honda while others are built like a diesel.
My last half marathon I averaged 194BPM with a max of 208. Max (which I've measured on treadmill) is 212. My last LTH was 187 but that was like a year ago and I need to do a new one, it's probably more like 194 now :)
Quote Reply
Re: Naturally high HR [hhetland] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have more of the oposite going on..

Resting heart rate: around 40bpm
Max heart rate: 176bpm (very low considering I'm only 25..)
Aerobic heart rate: 148bpm (at 8min16/mile pace)
Anaerobic heart rate: 167bpm (at 6min40/mile pace)

Ran my last half marathon with an average of 163 and max of 168.
Last edited by: Tri_Joeri: Oct 30, 17 0:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in that ballpark, probably even higher, age 40. I'm running IM marathon in the 155 range, like this one (my first ever, on a very hot day in Austria 2012).
link

I attribute it not at all to fitness (although I am bloody unfit at the minute, I was fit last time I did IM) and completely to the arbitrary HRmax that I have. When I was paying more attention to HR in around 2011-13 I had a HRmax of 214. Probably 210 now if I ever moved with enough effort to find out. With a HRmin of around 44 (when I was fit, not today) that placed my Zone 2 based off Karvonen HR range in the 150 - 160 ish ranges.

Never really worried about it.
Last edited by: knighty76: Oct 30, 17 4:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How old are you and what is your sport background, I'm 29 my last LT test had me at 180, in my past life I was a sprinter. I averaged 164 bpm on my Ironman Marathon and my last 10k was about 184. I've also done MAF previously which was an exercise in patience more than anything. In short you're not alone.
Quote Reply