Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Natural foods on the bike?
Quote | Reply
OK I've seen some references to eating 'real' food (ie not gels or powders) but no real information. Anybody do this? How do you carry it? What do you eat? How often? At what intensity? Any benefit, besides not having to eat fake flavours?
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [trexleradam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bananas are common on race courses. I like them, but can't use for higher intensity efforts (Olympic and shorter). I've posted before about my use of honey. I believe it is basically the same as gel, but a little cheaper. As I recall one ounce is about 90 calories. I put in gel flask and mix with equal part water. Search my prior posts on honey for more info.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about potatoes? Anyone heard of this?
I've also heard that pros in the TdF will eat ham sandwiches, but that's a little crazy to me...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boiled taters

Slowtwitch bitchist place on planet earth
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do pb sandos on whole wheat sometimes when I'm sick of or out of clif bars. I've also been trying nut/fruit bars like the Mojo bar & larabar on the long rides and those work well too. I was sick of finishing long rides with teeth that hurt from all the sugar.

I take in the same no. of cals I would with gels - usually 200- 300/h depending on how hard I'm working.

Haven't noticed any benefits, except for my teeth not hurting, or any down side to the change either.

HTH.
Last edited by: runlikeamother: Feb 4, 08 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just recently got Brendan Brazier's book. http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

Brendan is a Vegan and semi-pro Ironman triathlete, originally from Vancouver. Its the only place I've seen recipes for gels and sports drinks based on natural foods. I've just started with the smoothies and the pancakes, so no feed back on the gels an etc..

Still, its been a pretty good book so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I almost no longer use gels on the bike. I use all natural Lara Bars and they made up the majority of the calories during my Ironman Bike as well.

Boiled potatos are also great. On long training rides of over 4 horus I almost always stop and get a ham or turkey sand mid ride. Have
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I just recently got Brendan Brazier's book. http://www.brendanbrazier.com/

Brendan is a Vegan and semi-pro Ironman triathlete, originally from Vancouver. Its the only place I've seen recipes for gels and sports drinks based on natural foods. I've just started with the smoothies and the pancakes, so no feed back on the gels an etc..

Still, its been a pretty good book so far.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On really long rides I like to have "regular" food so I'll bring pb sandwiches, turkey and cheese sandwiches, beef jerky, etc. Just stick it in your jersey pocket. If I'll be out for several hours, I'll stash a cooler of food somewhere so I can reload. I still target the 300 cal/hr or so...doesn't matter to me where the calories come from. A nice, cold Coke in the middle of a long ride can be really nice, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [matti58] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Small "new potatoes" boiled in brine in several baggies are a real cheap and ez to digest food. Figs, bananas and not so natural fig newtons were the Old School standards for years. PBJ, turkey, chicken sandwiches are good too.
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I eat figs, dried bananas and natural ingredient muesli bars a lot on training rides, and combine them with gels for races. Baked potatoes and fresh bananas are great too but can get a bit mashed up.
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [NoBrakes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always have a small ham & Cheese sandwich on a long bike, including when racing IMs. I cut he crusts off so that it's soft and cut it in to quarters. I find it keeps me going and settles my stomach.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After last summer, I haven't been able to look a pre-packed bar in the eye yet. PB and honey on whole wheat are a good change- go w/ half sandwiches, and let the honey soak into the bread before folding to avoid mess. Nutella on wheat is tasty too. Some people have said they have problems w/ the fiber in wheat while exercising, so you may need to experiment a bit. I asked for some bread recipes a few months back, and was sent a link to a site called "allrecipes.com". Search for Logan Bread- I've been alternating that and banana bread for a few months. I substitute applesauce for half the oil/margarine in everything, and use 1/2-2/3 of the flour called for as whole wheat. After the 1st time or 2, making bread goes pretty quick. Once cooled, cut it up into clif-bar-sized pieces, package in foil, and freeze.

If I don't, who will? -Me
It's like being bipolar in opinion is a requirement around here. -TripleThreat
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fruit bars are good. fig bars, peach bars etc.

Quote | Reply
Take some jasmine rice and roll it into golf ball size balls and throw a little salt in them. Easy on the stomach and some good carbs.

"Paulo knows where to find me."
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [davidrgm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love the rice ball idea!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I take a baggie of Wheat Thin crackers. Salt, carbs, no mess, tastes good with orange Gatorade.

Azby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Flax seed scones. Delicious.

It hurts so bad, it feels good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Roadkill is probably the most natural thing and usually in abundance on the bike. Also gives one purpose in checking out the course the day before to be sure of the age of meals the next day. Many flavors ... no preservatives ... sticks to your ribs ;)
Dave
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [black] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you make flax seed scones yourself?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
applesauce - you can get the small individual servings or fill up one of these from a jar:

They take a little fumbling but I also fill them with mashed potatoes and smashed avocados.

bagels - I put the end of my aerobars through the hole, take it off, eat around the hole, put it back on; they dry out in a hurry so I eat them first

baby carrots

honey sticks - not too much product but it tastes good

peanuts - you can get 2/$1 tubes at a convenience store; they're pretty easy to get into; they package other nuts that way too

graham crackers - (if you consider them real food) a little dry

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dried fruit!

do you live near a Trader Joe's? Cheap, quality dried fruit that is usually unsulfured and yummy:

Dried dates
Figs
Dried granny smith apples
Dried Bartlett pears
Pineapple rings
Dried cranberries
Dried mango
"Flattened banana"

Pineapple has anti-inflammatory properties (high bromelain content) and is high on the glycemic index; so the pineapple rings are ideal for immediate post-workout food.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]Do you make flax seed scones yourself?[/reply]

[url]http://forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi?post=1649937;search_string=;#1649937[/url]

================================
blog
twitter
Quote Reply
Re: Natural foods on the bike? [kfc_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will be interesed in more of your comments on this book. I am just about to order it.

I have started experimenting with doing some of my own "fuel" with several ingredients and a food processor. I would say I am still at the "experiment" level!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the little peanut butter-filled pretzel nuggets. I get mine at Trader Joes, but I've seen them elsewhere. Carbs, protein, a little salty and really yummy.

M

------------------------------------------------------------
The beatings will continue until morale improves
Quote Reply

Prev Next