Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here:
Quote | Reply
Apparently a group of people who run a "dog park" have effectively shut down access to the Nankin Mills area on the days/dates that this nice little race is scheduled to take place.

The proposed race date is Saturday May 21nd. or Saturday May 22nd. We're felxible about the day/date but the dog people, a group who has largely operated anonymously through Wayne County Parks and is likely comprised of less than 10 people using the park for less than 2 hours once or twice during the week has really thrown a wrench in the works.

If you are intersted in this event continuing you may consider sending an e-mail asking for the event to continue at this link. Thanks guys!

http://www.waynecounty.com/parks/contact.htm

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info Tom. I did my part and sent an email.
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [ckostie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Me too. Thank you for doing that. We don't dispute that the dog walkers have a claim to using the park- they absolutely do. However, our argument is that, for one day out of the year, they may be able to grant us the flexibility to hold our event from 8:00 AM to about 11:00 AM and then get out of their hair. WE really aren;t using the area they are using- the bikes are out in road on Hines Drive. The dog walkers don't go there.

This isn't a huge race, it is about 200 people. It didn't turn a profit until we kicked in sponsorship money for it to help the race continue. We want the race to continue becasue it is good for our business since it is right in our back yard (about five miles from the store) and is a nice little grass roots event in a calendar of good successive events like Willow Metropark, Grosse Ile and this race- Nankin Mills.

I have a feeling it is a case of having to get in contact with the right person to be heard. If they feel we present a reasonable argument then maybe we can keep the race. We have a high degree of flexibility with regard to dates (sat or sun) but they appear to be largely inflexible.

So anyway, thanks for the help.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom, I sent off an email. Hope it gets worked out, there are not many races where we can ride our bikes from home to the start line. The Dog people have a new walking park just west of Merriman on the south side anyway. We may have to stage a cyclocross race there. You did'nt make it Thailand ?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Then where will the pooches poop in mid-May?

You think they can just deficate anywhere?

That's asking quite a lot.

Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [SlayerHatebreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Then where will the pooches poop in mid-May?

You think they can just deficate anywhere?

That's asking quite a lot.

D-

you are capable of better work.

Tom, sent off an email...
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [JohnInRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Huh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just sent them a few words as well...

Even though, I won't be around to do this event again, I enjoyed it a lot and I'd like to see it grow!

Steelcase, Willow, Grosse Ile & Nankin Mills (@ a week apart) are just the right way to start the MI multisport season.
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [JohnInRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Email sent.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [Jim] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the many years that I've raced tri/du here in Michigan, I have never participated in the Nankin Mills race...having said that, I just sent an email supporting your cause. What's good for the local tri/du scene, is good for my tri-addiction.

-teambz (matt buese)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did my part. I was looking forward to returning next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wayne County has now heard from me 2

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Never done a Du, but sent my note encouraging them to continue the event.

Larry

Don't be afraid to ride too long or too hard. That's what cell phones are for. Rich Strauss
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [letter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Larry.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
done - comments delivered
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Thanks for the heads up on this. I have sent my comments on their website.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [Wants2rideFast] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again guys. I'll update on this later.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Done!

Dave from VA
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer....I was looking forward to that race next summer, as I'm thinking of converting to the multisport lifestyle.

I have sent Wayne Co. a note too....hopefully it can be worked out?

Hey Tom....tell Mike Aderhold I said HI and I may need a cool Tri bike since my old buddy "Ironman" Tony Cece has inspired me to do an Ironman someday...maybe something in the Felt line...S25 or S32?

Take it easy.....

Dan Motowski

http://www.nordicskiracer.com

http://motown-nordicskier.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just recieved an email from Wayne county parks. It says November 20, 2004

Dear Duathlon Fan:

Thank you for your interest in Wayne County Parks. It is wonderful to know that so many people are so interested in the Nankin Mills Duathlon.

I am not sure where you have gotten your information but Wayne County Parks has never told Elite Endeavors that the duathlon was canceled. There has been discussion about moving the duathlon to Saturday but I did not know anything about a cancellation. I apologize for whoever started this rumor.

We are trying to balance the needs of everyone, which is sometimes impossible to do. There are over 400 people registered for the dog park and road closures make it very difficult for them to get to the park. I will work with Elite Endeavors to come up with a solution that is satisfactory to everyone.

Thank you again for your input!

Sincerely,

Kim Healy

Wayne County Parks

Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here [DanMo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, excellent! I think it is funny that they say the race isn't cancelled. Technically- they are right. We just got the impression they were really tryng to put the squeeze on us so thaat there was no good time for us to have the race. Then, we would have to throw our arms in the air and say, "We can't produce the event safely within their time constraints."

Then they didn't cancel the event, we did. And they come out spotless with a slant like, "We tried to accomodate their schedule, but they decided that wasn't adequate."

Awesome. I can't believe we even got an acknowledgement out of them! Previously, they wouldn't even give us the name of the decision maker on this.

This is progress toward a workable compromise. Now hopefully they will at least acknowledge us.

Again, thank you guys very, very much.

Tom.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they sent that to all of us who wrote in, that'll teach them to mess with Slowtwitch.

Jim

**Note above poster works for a retailer selling bikes and related gear*
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was told today that the race is a GO. With the road closed, like in the past.
Quote Reply
Re: Nankin Mills Duathlon in danger of cancellation ofr '05 see here: [jack m] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jack m,

Thank you for the update.

Ben Cline

Better to aspire to Greatness and fail, than to not challenge one's self at all, and succeed.
Quote Reply

Prev Next