Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur?
Quote | Reply
Lockdown boredom/slow day at work. This has been discussed tangentially a little bit in the past when someone was looking for name stickers for their bike (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rs_on_bike_P1823892/).

When is it acceptable to put a name+country flag sticker on your bike? Pros only? Once you've logged a best bike split at a race? Once your FTP is over 4.5 watts/kg? Or is it always a Fred move if you're not being paid to ride?

Discuss!
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For identification of the bike purpose it is interesting I guess. Especially if you ride a Cervelo in the US or a Canyon in Europe it can come in handy picking the right bike ;-)
Also for identification bof the rider. What's different between a pro and a recreational rider? We are all humans and it is nice to be addressed with your name.
Sam
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very not cool.

If you need to be able to identify your bike in a hurry, I'd think a different colored headset spacer or a colored piece of electrical tape around the seatpost would both be more noticeable to you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neither?

Thinking it's cool = poser?

For my riders, given they all have similar equipment, it's essential that frames, wheels, helmets all have stickers.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Aug 18, 20 14:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Most of my bikes I built up from frames I've bought secondhand. Since I'm the "builder," who chose the components, assembled everything, and tuned it all up, I look at it as more "mine" than something I bought at the LBS.

So, I slap a name sticker on the bike when it's done. Never thought of it as showing off, just see it as comparable to buying something that has "assembled by John Doe" written on it, or even a jacket with "inspected by #12" in the pocket.

I mean, a Shelby Mustang is just a car someone else designed that's tweaked and modified by a 3rd party, but nobody complains about that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a little poseur....but I have them on my bikes (make of that what you will). Personally I just like the look, and don't think there is (or should be) a minimum speed required to sport something (disc wheel, aero helmet, high-end trisuit, swedes).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have put name stickers on bikes in the past. Those would be bikes that were common models and colorways, like when I owned Treks or Felts.

My Dimond is a custom paint job and I’m the only one in the world that has it so I know which bike is mine without hesitation. My TriRig Omni is the same color as everyone else’s but there’s not many around so no worries there.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No name stickers and no old race numbers for me but I do have this one on my touring bike..:-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on all my bikes. I race internationally so like to show I'm a proud Aussie and I like the look. I find it funny you use the word acceptable. To who? We're all not sheep...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why do you care what other people think?
There is no need for a consensus on this. It's pathetic to ask, eberything else is irrelevant.

Wanting to know if others will approve = uncool.
Wanting it if others will think it's cool = poser

Do what you want and don't ask for fashion approval. Literal fashion victim if you let others decide what you should think.
Last edited by: Ai_1: Aug 18, 20 15:36
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Monogram names on golf bags was the piss and moan when I was growing up.

The answer was always “the bigger douche is the one who goes out of their way to complain about it”.

I played on a HS team with matching bags. You’re not always in possession of your bag in transit. The bags were identical, many driver covers were also. We had it come in handy having monograms on the bag if someone wasn’t old enough to drive and the clubs were away from the owner.

To me, same for a bike. I don’t have any stickers. I’m not in constant need to ID the bike and a thief would just rip it off anyway. But looking at Ironman staging.....if someone tipped over a bike or whole rack....it would make notifying owners a LOT easier.

Not practical to me personally, but I’m not going to be the guy pissing in Corn Flakes either over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
Lockdown boredom/slow day at work. This has been discussed tangentially a little bit in the past when someone was looking for name stickers for their bike (https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...rs_on_bike_P1823892/).

When is it acceptable to put a name+country flag sticker on your bike? Pros only? Once you've logged a best bike split at a race? Once your FTP is over 4.5 watts/kg? Or is it always a Fred move if you're not being paid to ride?

Discuss!

Stickers?? Lame. About 20 years ago I had my steel frame repainted with my name on the down tube instead of the manufacturer.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One day I was out riding and a group caught up with me.
Some of them turned off but I kept riding with one of them, an African American guy with huge legs.
He made me work pretty hard to stay up with him.
At a stop light I happened to glance at his top tube and it said "Nelson Vails"
I was flabbergasted and said to him, wow I am riding with Nelson Vails.
I will never forget that.
Now if you want your name on your bike then go for it, but don't expect people to know who you are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have them on my bikes. im as MOP as they get, nothing special about me ability-wise, no need to actually identify my bikes to others or demonstrate my nationality. no one else sees it but me. why do i have them? because I think they're cool. pros have them, and it's one thing i can have that pros have and it costs just 10 bucks. sue me.

https://veloink.com/!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
Why do you care what other people think?
There is no need for a consensus on this. It's pathetic to ask, eberything else is irrelevant.

Wanting to know if others will approve = uncool.
Wanting it if others will think it's cool = poser

Do what you want and don't ask for fashion approval. Literal fashion victim if you let others decide what you should think.

Came to post something similar.

Who cares what other people think. In a sport where everyone wears neon and or skin tight suits are we really worried about what other people think of us ? Get it if you want it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think they're cool as hell

Some day I'll get some professional ones made, right now I make my own with a p-touch printer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you crash, and can’t respond with your name, and don’t have ID on you, it’s one way for EMTs or others to yell your name at you while trying to revive you.

I have my own name on my bikes, I also name my bikes. Which is a whole other discussion.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Perhaps a bit of projection here? I never said I was thinking about getting name stickers on my bike. I also ride a Dimond so I'm clearly not concerned about whether people approve of my equipment :)

I'm bringing a fun discussion topic to a forum where people have extremely strong opinions on everything from tan sidewalls to elastic laces. And if you're this uptight about cycling style then make sure you steer clear of The Rules at https://www.velominati.com/ (hint: it's tongue in cheek).
Last edited by: vonagut: Aug 18, 20 17:41
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:
If you crash, and can’t respond with your name, and don’t have ID on you, it’s one way for EMTs or others to yell your name at you while trying to revive you.

I have my own name on my bikes, I also name my bikes. Which is a whole other discussion.

I have named most of my bikes too :)
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharonMcN wrote:

To this end I put return address labels inside my helmet, on the pump in my flat kit, under my saddle, etc.
I already have them, so it was easy.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife gave me a set for Christmas one year so they are on my bike. I honestly don't think anybody would ever notice them.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:

Discuss!

nah it's fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the long list of douchey things people in this sport do, this is pretty far down it.
Quote Reply
Re: Name sticker on bike: cool or poseur? [Waingro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Waingro wrote:
On the long list of douchey things people in this sport do, this is pretty far down it.

haha yup and it's a long list..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On my caad12, yep. On my Parlee, hell no. If a bike is “uninspiring” it gets decals. If it has an awesome paint scheme, leave it be.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply

Prev Next