Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Naked chicks and Ironman
Quote | Reply
Ok sorry I meant aero bars and Ironman. I'm racing IM Wisconsin this year and have only one big gear question. I'm riding an Orbea Orca and want to put on a dedicated set of aero bars with bar end shifters for the last 3 months of the season. My theory is that I'll retain the optimal climbing geometry of my road frame with the aerodynamic benfits of a full aero system on the flats. If this is a bad idea, what are my alternatives. If this is a good idea, what are the best full setups. I've been looking at the vision trimax carbons or the bontrager xxx-lite aero carbon.

Thanks,

Nick
Quote Reply
Re: Naked chicks and Ironman [iheartfestina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Read Dan's stuff on aerobars on road bikes and this:

http://www.xtri.com/article.asp?id=126

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You bastard. One day I will learn.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will be far better served by grabbing up a set of shorty clip-ons like the new FSA/Vision shorties. If you are anticipating taking advantage of road bike climbing geometry, then full aero bars are a waste for you. If you were on a steep bike and planned to spin up the hills in the aero position, then it would make sense...

For my $, I'd save the $$$ you'd spend on full aero bars....grab the shorties and call it a day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been thinking more about racing IM-Wisco this year with a road bike and clip-ons rather then full aero-bars. My reasoning is not so much the climbing weight, but the descending speed and cornering ability. I do most of my riding on a road bike and don't want to switch to using the tri-bike for all rides, so am able to ride downhill and through corners a lot faster with the drop bars then the bull-horns. If you are training mostly on drops then I think you will find the same thing. there are so many quick hills at IM-Wisco that if you are riding road geometry anyway leaving the drops on might make more sense.

Not that this matters but that's what Nicole deBoom did last year and it worked well for her.

OK - that being said I know a guy who rode a Madone with full aero bars last year and rode really well - plus ran strong off the bike.

id
Quote Reply