Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

NYC Tri 2018
Quote | Reply
Anybody doing the NYC Tri this year (July 1)?

I was under the impression that it sells out pretty quickly, but it seems like there's still availability left. Thinking about registering to get some more triathlon experience in prior to my first full distance race this year (and only second triathlon) later in July.

Seems like a fun race, but like every year, the only concern in my mind is water quality! From the research I've done, it seems like the vast majority of people end up just fine, but you do read about the odd handful of people that get infections from swimming in the water.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [JonathanNYC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the first year they've done open registration, that is probably why it's still open. Up until this point it was lottery entry.

My wife and I have done twice in 2016 and 2017. No issues with water quality at all. That's kind of a tired joke anymore.

I see they've changed the run course this year going the opposite direction and I believe cutting out Harlem Hill. So with open registration comes easing up the course.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NYC is a fun and well put on race. I have also done it in 2016 and 2017. I agree that the water quality is a non-issue, I've never actually heard of anyone getting sick/infected from it. If you are really concerned they usually have a garden hose shower set up once you get out of the water. A bottle over the head in T1 works just as well.

In my mind NYC is one of the better "big city" races in the area. Nations Tri (DC) - extremely congested bike course, swim seems to get cancelled more often than not. Philadelphia - bike course still somewhat congested, but some rough-ish roads and overall felt like they threw the event together last second. Although in all fairness in Philly they patrolled the bike course for drafting EXTREMELY well, I must've seen 20+ people given drafting penalties. As someone who hates drafters I loved that part of it.

Overall, the bike course is not too congested, and the run course is a ton of fun. Looking at the changes I guess they did slightly take away from the "hardcore" factor by removing the harlem hill, but now there will be much more spectator presence. (and anyone doing this race to be "hardcore" should probably look elsewhere anyway since this race also has (probably) the fastest oly swim out there, and a pretty fast bike).

You should do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, guys. Appreciate the feedback here, particularly on the water quality!

Only thing stopping me is the price ($400 for an Olympic-distance race), but I figure at least I save on housing / transportation since I live ~20 minutes away from the swim start...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do it! It's an awesome race, I did it last year for the first time. So much fun, really well run, fast as hell swim and no issues with water quality whatsoever. I would be doing it again this year, but it's too close to IMLP.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
Do it! It's an awesome race, I did it last year for the first time. So much fun, really well run, fast as hell swim and no issues with water quality whatsoever. I would be doing it again this year, but it's too close to IMLP.
I'm curious now, because I'm racing IMLP! What's the problem with it being so close to IMLP? Figure I'll treat it as a training race rather than going all-out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my first time racing NYC Tri this year and really looking forward to it. Been kind of a bucket list race for me. Needed to do it this year, my sister in law lives right near the swim exit on Riverfront but is moving a couple of weeks after the race out to the suburbs (CT) so this is the year.
Just wish the swim was more of a legit 1500 but not much anyone can do about that except maybe lengthen it lol
Always love running in Central Park so really looking forward to racing and finishing there.

Mike Plumb, TriPower MultiSports
Professional Running, Cycling and Multisport Coaching, F.I.S.T. Certified
http://www.tripower.org
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
ninagski wrote:

I'm curious now, because I'm racing IMLP! What's the problem with it being so close to IMLP? Figure I'll treat it as a training race rather than going all-out!

zero...there is no issue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, little known fact... this is a lot closer to the original course then the harlem hill route.
The first year, back in 2001, this was meant to be like the Legacy Tri out in cali, and show how nyc would hold an olympics. As such, the pros rode a draft legal course (4 loops) and a 2 loop run, down the lower loop . The age groupers weren't draft legal, but we still did the lower loop, rather than the northern hills.

As the race grew, sometime around 2010 , the most people they could really accomodate was 3k. That was when it swtiched to lottery. Over the last couple years they have figured out how to get it to 4k and I think they are comfortable with it to 5k.

They also knew how many folks entered the lottery last year, and thus why they switched back to open registration.

I've been doing this race since the beginning. I've been a NYer since year 4 and it is a day I look forward to every year. Its fun, the crowds are ny crowds... its totally worth it.

Also, agreed, the water is just not an issue. There are people who will claim "its dirty" on race day... What the Hudson is, is a brackish estuary. The tides pull salt water and silt in and out while freshwater flows down stream. Becuase of the combination of river + tides there is ALWAYS silt suspended in the water down by manhattan. That is why , no matter how clean it is, it will always appear dirty... but its really not an issue. I used to swim in that water 4-5x a year between nyctri and NYC Swims events.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend and I were both going until she got into a car accident and I got into a bike accident. I deferred to 2019. She needs to hurry up and send an email...

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We live here and have never done the race. The logistics turn us off. However, we've ridden the bike course many times on ROUVY.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve done it a couple of times and it’s a fun race. Very organised. So much food at the end (from the event organisers and sponsors) that it’s like eating at an all you can eat buffet.

I’ve picked up rashes ... not just at this tri but when there used to be swim races in the East River too. I don’t wear a wetsuit, just a two piece, but I looked like I was wearing one after getting out of the Hudson River (you will know what I mean ..) .. but don’t let that deter you. It’s a very fast swim, I was competing against a Lays chip bag once (the bag won - my bro in law has the video footage). A good wash right after the race should be fine, and just make sure you don’t swallow the water. The swim is pretty much pitch black (or very dark green) so sighting well will come in handy.

The bike and run course are fun fun fun. I loved riding all the way up to the Bronx with no traffic except other tri-ers.

Aside from opening the regos they’ve also increased the entry fees which is probably another reason why there are still entries available ...

I’m planning to do the race again but it’s a $ and time factor for me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get in the elite wave or the bike will be like driving up the west side highway on a Friday afternoon.

It’s a fun event but for most people, it’s not really a race
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^x2 and if raining watch puddles on bike course, sometimes they hide potholes. Very good production value and one of the most spectator friendly races about.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [SlowAmericano] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you can float down that river at 1:20 / 100 yards
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure why they thought making the run course easier will boost sales as much as simply dropping the price. Maybe next year they will to be fair to those who already paid the original fee but if they're going to keep the expanded field of 5k, they really need to drop that price.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [pots4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pots4 wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
ninagski wrote:

I should've elaborated a bit...sure, it's doable and wouldn't put most out, but for me, personally, I don't want to miss out on the final lonnnng rides and runs that I have scheduled on that weekend. I need more distance training and that weekend is my last big block before taper time.
Quote Reply
Re: NYC Tri 2018 [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ninagski wrote:
pots4 wrote:
JonathanNYC wrote:
ninagski wrote:

I should've elaborated a bit...sure, it's doable and wouldn't put most out, but for me, personally, I don't want to miss out on the final lonnnng rides and runs that I have scheduled on that weekend. I need more distance training and that weekend is my last big block before taper time.

That's fair-main reason I don't do some events, they get in the way of the ones that matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JonathanNYC wrote:
Anybody doing the NYC Tri this year (July 1)?

I was under the impression that it sells out pretty quickly, but it seems like there's still availability left. Thinking about registering to get some more triathlon experience in prior to my first full distance race this year (and only second triathlon) later in July.

Seems like a fun race, but like every year, the only concern in my mind is water quality! From the research I've done, it seems like the vast majority of people end up just fine, but you do read about the odd handful of people that get infections from swimming in the water.

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about this race. From what I've searched up on ST, most have good things to say about it. Yesterday at the Chicago Tri I qualified for the 2019 Life Time Tri championship and am considering doing it. I never mind a trip to NYC and it seems like a fun event, especially since I would get an early wave and avoid the crowd, which was a huge challenge on the bike yesterday. For anyone who has done it, I'd be grateful if you could share your thoughts.
Quote Reply