Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools!
Quote | Reply
Here's the article that appeared in the Arizona Republic this morning. Tempe will host the NCAA Triathlon Championships this weekend, Rocky Harris was also previously Chief of Staff for Sun Devil Athletics.

https://www.azcentral.com/...a-status/2570873001/

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCAA event will also be shown on triathlon live so that’s really cool.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes very exciting; we'll get to 40 very soon.
a big congrats to all the educators and coaches who have been working tirelessly with young athletes. we are regularly in touch with them and they are never celebrated. their dedication is going to be recognized soon.
of course a big regret that guys are treated differently.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't wait for college football to fold so that we can start adding mens triathlon teams to the NCAA

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great to hear that Harris thinks they will hit 40 next year or the year after at the latest. Half of pac-12 schools offering triathlon will be awesome, but I think it will take some time, just like beach volleyball. I also think South Dakota will be very competitive this year, giving ASU a run for the title. Next year, it will be even more competitive given what I know about the recruiting that's been going. Tomorrow, NLI day, we will see who goes where.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [dalava] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
Great to hear that Harris thinks they will hit 40 next year or the year after at the latest. Half of pac-12 schools offering triathlon will be awesome, but I think it will take some time, just like beach volleyball. I also think South Dakota will be very competitive this year, giving ASU a run for the title. Next year, it will be even more competitive given what I know about the recruiting that's been going. Tomorrow, NLI day, we will see who goes where.

Go Yotes!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In the middle of B.C. and I always found this a bit interesting but didn’t really pay much attention until one of the kids from our club just recently (like last week) got a Div 1 scholarship to Wagner.

She’s a great student and everything, so not sure what the scholarship entails...but triathlon certainly didn’t hurt!

Maurice
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [tlc13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They have a pretty stacked team with more coming next year.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's most certainly created lots of opportunities for gals to get a college education. My only question is still how's it going to financially work with all these trips costing flights for 4-8 bikes per trip (min about 2 flights per year).

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [mauricemaher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are a lot of promising Canadian girls coming to the D1 programs. ASU and South Dakota each has several already. My daughter competes with/against them and knows them well. They told her that financially, coming to a D1 program with partial scholarship is still better than going to universities and pursuing triathlon in Canada, even with the low tuition cost in Canada and Triathlon Canada's subsidy for high performance programs. Travel cost to races is no small part of that calculation.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [B_Doughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most schools will bus it. Colorado Mesa drove to the Black Hills State competition in September (10 hours). They're driving to Tempe (9 hrs; I'm flying). MSU Billings drive to Black Hills too. Both schools did fly out to the Eastern Regionals.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
“Most” or a few schools? Big difference. I went to the eastern regional and not many didn’t fly in. I’m guessing less than 5 of the what 27 programs are able to NOT have to fly to Nats. But that’s why it’ll be important for “regional”/conference rivalries to improve.

I believe once ncaa status, travel to nationals is covered by ncaa budget, not schools. That should help. Not sure how that fund is provided or if it’s just a travel fund among whole ncaa sports.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Last edited by: B_Doughtie: Nov 12, 19 19:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
There are a lot of promising Canadian girls coming to the D1 programs. ASU and South Dakota each has several already. My daughter competes with/against them and knows them well. They told her that financially, coming to a D1 program with partial scholarship is still better than going to universities and pursuing triathlon in Canada, even with the low tuition cost in Canada and Triathlon Canada's subsidy for high performance programs. Travel cost to races is no small part of that calculation.

For triathlon or basically any Olympic sport up here results=money for the 4year cycle.

After Simon won gold we were probably one of the best funded orgs on the planet...not so much anymore.

I googled a bit and it appears that you can offer 4.5 scholarships. Even a .5 scholarship would represent a huge amount of money at some of these schools.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Division 1 schools can fund up to 6.5 scholarships and Division 2 team are able to fund 5 scholarships. As for funding travel I would imagine with airlines like American and Delta now treating bikes as a first checked bag the cost of travel will come down significantly.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [Tri_Harder85] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NCAA Tri is being broadcast on triathlon.org/live and they are doing a "behind the scenes" with the ASU team. That should be available on replay as well.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.triathlonlive.tv/...tional-championships

Kind of sad I'm in Austin right now...USAT has a sweet set up.

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
NCAA Tri is being broadcast on triathlon.org/live and they are doing a "behind the scenes" with the ASU team. That should be available on replay as well.

Yep, checking it out live! Very cool. Every set of eyes (views) we can give to this has to help the sport. This is decent coverage and these women are getting after it!
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [DieselPete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know I’m going to hear it from the haters. But those woman coming out of the swim first were pretty “thick”. Wasn’t expecting that.
Quote Reply
Re: NCAA Women's Triathlon, closing in on 40 schools! [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your watching the D3 race.

Stick around for the next race featuring the D1/D2 and tell me what you think.

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
B_Doughtie wrote:
Your watching the D3 race.

Stick around for the next race featuring the D1/D2 and tell me what you think.

Ahh, makes sense. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hahha... i tuned in at around 2pm and was thinking about about the same thing... none of them looked like Kira or Leah or Liberty. It turns out the Triathlonlive.tv's time is local to Tempe, not EST.

Interesting race, teammates attacking each other. Must make for a somewhat awkward team dinner. I hope Cliff knows how to handle the complicated team dynamics.

Happy for Leah Drengenberg to podium for D1, she's been such a strong swimmer over the years in junior elite, seems like she's running better now.

Not sure what happened to Hannah Henry or Kira Stanley. Hannah looked a little unsteady after putting her running shoes on at T2, I wonder if she was sick or if it was the heat. Kira looked like has a cramp or something in her right leg.

That Spanish girl from D&E sure can run. We saw her at the East Regional, she was running through the entire D1/D2 field, kind of like what she did today. Very impressive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ASU is simply bored and that’s why it’ll be better for development of sport to get better athletes across the schools. Cridge signing with USF is big to “share” the load etc. But when you have 5 of 6 in the front and a min gap, that race is over so then it’s sorta every gal for themselves. Not sure what happened to Henry, I guess she just DNF’d right in T2?

Brooks Doughtie, M.S.
Exercise Physiology
-USAT Level II
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you take a look at the video, Henry was like a little groggy after putting her shoes on in T2. Not sure when she DNF'ed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dalava wrote:
hahha... i tuned in at around 2pm and was thinking about about the same thing... none of them looked like Kira or Leah or Liberty. It turns out the Triathlonlive.tv's time is local to Tempe, not EST.

Interesting race, teammates attacking each other. Must make for a somewhat awkward team dinner. I hope Cliff knows how to handle the complicated team dynamics.

Happy for Leah Drengenberg to podium for D1, she's been such a strong swimmer over the years in junior elite, seems like she's running better now.

Not sure what happened to Hannah Henry or Kira Stanley. Hannah looked a little unsteady after putting her running shoes on at T2, I wonder if she was sick or if it was the heat. Kira looked like has a cramp or something in her right leg.

That Spanish girl from D&E sure can run. We saw her at the East Regional, she was running through the entire D1/D2 field, kind of like what she did today. Very impressive.

I was standing right by Kira when she was stopped running. She was in a lot of discomfort. She told her coach who was right there it was bad stitch and was almost in tears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hannah DNFed on the other side of the lake. Olivia Jenks said something about her back locking up or something. I saw her walking back towards the finish line and she seemed to be walking okay? After the turnaround to start the second lap Kira was definitely struggling. She stopped about 5 feet from where I was standing and had to walk for a bit. They announced at one point that Rebecca Rivers DNFed but I saw her finish the race so I have no clue where they got that intel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next